Why did the head gasket weep nearly disappear?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHC

I hope you’ll find this interesting! Sorry for such a long, drawn out story.

I have a 2001 5.4L F150 that has the infamous head gasket weep. I’ve used synthetic it’s whole life. Mostly M1, Amsoil XL or signature series, always 0 or 5W-20.

The weep has always been there. From the start, it was just a quarter size wet spot at the visible high-pressure port. Recently, the weep became much worse. I was using M1 steadily for thousands of miles prior and then wham-o, the weep got worse. This was a year or so ago at around 60,000 miles. It became stinky outside the cab after highway runs and on hotter days around town.

We just spent a big chunk of $ fixing our Subaru’s head gasket (another story) and I was not interested in spending more $$$ on our automobiles. So I thought, I’ll again give Amsoil signature series a try. After all, why not? The engine seemed to like it in the past and the only reason I wasn’t using it was cost, convenience and concern over CAT's.

Well, I SWEAR, THE WEEP HAS NEARLY DISSAPEARED!!! It does not smell like burning oil anymore and the no more oil at the lower head/block seam. There’s still a little dampness at the high-pressure port (top of head) like before.

So now, I’m thinking, SUPER problem solved! My only concern is the non-starburst/CAT issue with signature series. I did like the piece of mind with M1 not having to fret about my CAT’s.

So help me speculate as to what happened? Initially I thought it was PAO but PAO does not cause seal swell, right? Maybe Amsoil OE or XL will have similar results?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: AHC
My only concern is the non-starburst/CAT issue with signature series.

What do you mean?

Increased additives and catalytic converter compatibility.

What do you mean?

Amsoil SS is compliant with API SN additive (P)levels.

What do you mean?

Amsoil SS is compliant with API SN additive (P)levels.

Oh hey, thanks Pablo! So, no worries?

I have a 2001 5.4L F150 that has the infamous head gasket weep. I’ve used synthetic it’s whole life. Mostly M1, Amsoil XL or signature series, always 0 or 5W-20.

The weep has always been there. From the start, it was just a quarter size wet spot at the visible high-pressure port. Recently, the weep became much worse. I was using M1 steadily for thousands of miles prior and then wham-o, the weep got worse. This was a year or so ago at around 60,000 miles. It became stinky outside the cab after highway runs and on hotter days around town.

We just spent a big chunk of $ fixing our Subaru’s head gasket (another story) and I was not interested in spending more $$$ on our automobiles. So I thought, I’ll again give Amsoil signature series a try. After all, why not? The engine seemed to like it in the past and the only reason I wasn’t using it was cost, convenience and concern over Well, I SWEAR, THE WEEP HAS NEARLY DISSAPEARED!!! [/color]It does not smell like burning oil anymore and the no more oil at the lower head/block seam. There’s still a little dampness at the high-pressure port (top of head) like before.

So now, I’m thinking, SUPER problem solved! My only concern is the non-starburst/CAT issue with signature series. I did like the piece of mind with M1 not having to fret about my CAT’s.

So help me speculate as to what happened? Initially I thought it was PAO but PAO does not cause seal swell, right? Maybe Amsoil OE or XL will have similar results?

Thanks!

Sorry , but where do you get the idea oil, any brand would fix a head gasket leak ??

This was common on a lot of these engines from 1999-01 or so. Its caused by small metal particles from machining that didn't get cleaned off well enough.
IIRC this is around the oil return hole and is not under any pressure.

Its not unknown for the leak to slow as the engine ages. I had this happen on a 99 at about 80K, no idea how or why though.
No seal sweller or HM oil will help this as there is no rubber seal material to swell or soften.

I cant think of any reason why the oil would help this no matter what it is or its base stock origins. Maybe some junk got moved with the new oil and is plugging the small damage in the aluminum?

Originally Posted By: skellyman

We just spent a big chunk of $ fixing our Subaru’s head gasket (another story) and I was not interested in spending more $$$ on our automobiles. So I thought, I’ll again give Amsoil signature series a try. After all, why not? The engine seemed to like it in the past and the only reason I wasn’t using it was cost, convenience and concern over Well, I SWEAR, THE WEEP HAS NEARLY DISSAPEARED!!! [/color]It does not smell like burning oil anymore and the no more oil at the lower head/block seam. There’s still a little dampness at the high-pressure port (top of head) like before.

Thanks!

Sorry , but where do you get the idea oil, any brand would fix a head gasket leak ??

True, but the oil change seemed to slow the weep immediately. So....it seems too coincidental that it suddenly slowed/stopped because of something else.

I find it hard to grasp that SSO fixed this leak, but as long as it's fixed, good for you.
You do get lucky sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back