0w20 For 2014+ GM EcoTec3 4.3L, 5.3L & 6.2L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Advanced oiling system: The oiling system incorporates a new variable-displacement oil pump that enables more efficient oil delivery, based the engine’s operating conditions. Its dual-pressure control enables operation at a very efficient oil pressure at lower rpm, and then delivers higher pressure at higher engine speeds to provide a more robust lubrication.

Oil capacity has been increased to six quarts for the 4.3L V-6 and eight quarts for the V-8 engines. All engines use GM’s Dexos oil for increased fuel efficiency and longer oil life, and V-8s are engineered to use 0W/20 oil to improve lubrication and reduce friction.

All trucks also feature GM’s oil life monitor, which better protects engines by recommending oil changes based on actual engine operating conditions and can save owners’ money by avoiding unnecessary oil changes.

http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/news....c3-engines.html

My bet is that the typical fleet truck will be getting bulk 5w20 or 5w30 for the foreseeable future.

See, I've been saying that GM will get around to using 20-weights!

Now the big question is, will loyal GM customers actually go along with the recommendation?

Last edited:
Quote:
My bet is that the typical fleet truck will be getting bulk 5w20 or 5w30 for the foreseeable future.

Agree. I also bet that in 2020, people will still be worried about the use of 20 grades, despite getting 150-200k miles of trouble free service from their engines. LOLOL

Maybe that will scare some GM truck die hards off...they had a huge pill to swallow using 5W30 all those years ago...and they laughed at Ford using 5W20 more than 10 years ago.

Originally Posted By: buster
Quote:

Agree. I also bet that in 2020, people will still be worried about the use of 20 grades, despite getting 150-200k miles of trouble free service from their engines. LOLOL

The sump capacity alone may be enough to keep people on 5w20/5w30 dino after a couple of costly oil changes.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Quote:

The sump capacity alone may be enough to keep people on 5w20/5w30 dino after a couple of costly oil changes.

Americans just need to get used to the fact that proper vehicle maintenance costs more than $45 for a bulk dino oil change every 5,000 miles. People need to get onboard with the $80 oil changes every 5,000 to 7,000 miles if they want their vehicles to operate as intended - for a long time. Plus, if you are the owner of a full-size pick-up, it probably costs you $80 to fill your tank once-a-week anyway, so what's the big deal?

We demand more power, efficiency and service life from our powertrains - yet we refuse to spend more money to properly maintain it. It is an interesting culture that we have, eh?

With my boss still dumping 10W-30 into everything and insisting he should be able to somehow make money on $29.95 oil changes on any car, 2014 should make for some interesting events when new Chevys and Hondas start rolling in. I predict things being thrown across the shop and at least two mechanics quitting or being fired repeatedly.

On the up side, quitting or being fired only counts if you don't remember to come back and punch out at 5:30.

Quote:
We demand more power, efficiency and service life from our powertrains - yet we refuse to spend more money to properly maintain it. It is an interesting culture that we have, eh?

+1 definitely agree.

If you look close at the high-res engine photos, you can see 0W-20 on the oil fill cap on the 5.3L and 6.2L V8's. The 4.3L V6 has 5W-30 on the fill cap. Hmmmm....weird.

I've seen oils in the 5w-20 flavour that have the official dexos stamp. So the dexos accreditation must be more than just how thick the oil is. It's nice to see chev on board. We can put to rest this stupidity that 20 grades shorten engine life in motors designed for it.

The sump capacity alone may be enough to keep people on 5w20/5w30 dino after a couple of costly oil changes. [/quote]

BINGO !!!!! you are blessed with an uncanny ability to see into the future

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
8 qts? I guess the "cheap insurance" of 3K changes, int so cheap.

GM was one of the first to depart from the outdated 3K schedules...

Originally Posted By: jegs
The external belt driven oil pump is interesting.

Oh that's what that was... Is that also a water pump I see?

Originally Posted By: 229

Synpower 5w20 exceeds dexos 1.

It would be better if it meet dexos1 approval.

True, but they are avoiding the cost. I give them a pass because Ashland/Valvoline has the ability to test oils against specs in-house via their lab. One of the few oil companies with that capability.

Originally Posted By: jegs
The external belt driven oil pump is interesting.

Holy possum on a gum bush, Batman! A belt-driven oil pump? As if they didn't have enough issues with public opinion they want to add a belt driven oil pump! This is suicide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back