Delvac 1300 15w-40 2012 GMC 2500HD Duramax 7300 mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Purchased truck new in June of '12. First oil change at 2500 miles, I used delvac 1300 15w-40 and a Bosch Distance Plus oil filter.

This sample was done a few weeks ago with 7300 miles on the oil/filter, 9800 miles on the truck.

I did not change the oil at the time of the sample. Truck was driven for 20 mins, drained out about 8 oz thru my Fumoto valve and then took the sample.

Could the high copper be from the Fumoto valve? I do have a plastic cap to cover it.

Should I change the oil/filter now or run it longer?

No towing at all.

This sample kit was only $16. I found it when I picked up some TranSynd tranny fluid at a Allison dealer in Atlanta

TIA!

screenshot20130127at720.png

Last edited:
This engine is still in the break in phase, so you will get some odd UOA figures for some time. The Copper is probably from the oil cooler, rather than bearings and the other wear metals are fine, so I doubt if it's of any real concern.

I would not extend OCI unless I knew the TBN. Run the same OCI and have the oil analyzed by a company that gives TBN (Polaris/OAI) without charging extra.

Your fuel dilution is low and I thought that was a problem on some of the new diesels with all the new pollution stuff.

What is your highway mileage BTW?

Have you considered Rotella T6?

Last edited:
As others have said, looks fine for break-in. Copper from oil cooler as mentioned by the analysis company.

However, at 7300 miles(probably more now), I would change the oil since the motor's still breaking in. That's just me though. Then sample again at 7500 with TBN, then you know what you're working with.

I'm also surprised by the little amount of fuel dilution, perhaps Chevy has got this setup dialed in nicely with the new emissions equipment.

What does your OLM say as when to change? I would first use the own trucks info as when to change as your sample looks satisfactory.

Cu, as with the other metals, is break-in with this kind of low mileage. Cu is not unknown to Dmax engines; it will occasionally rear up and make itself known. Overall, no concerns here.

Fuel topic: only the LMM engine has real fuel dilution issues. The LML Dmax (including this 2012) has a 9th injector downstream in the exhaust plumbing, rather than doing the regen events in-cylinder. Great move on their part if you ask me!

Once the wear settles, you can decide if you want to extend or follow the OLM. The OLM in the Dmax has proven to be reasonably accurate, if a bit overly conservative (typical of most any OEM OCI).

If you choose to extend, the UOAs are going to be a good idea. If not, frankly, they are a waste of money on a Dmax. The Dmax is one of the best wearing light-duty diesel engines out there, and really could not care less about what oil you put in the crankcase, as long as it's a qualified CJ-4 HDEO. All the data shows this to be true. You can review the summary of info in my "normalcy" article specific to a Dmax.

Last edited:
Thanks guys!

Highway MPG is approx 18. The regen cycles seems to kill the MPG.

Seems like the OLM is following the 10% per 1000 miles.

I think I'll change it this week, run another 7500 and then do a sample with TBN.

Rotella T in the white jug is what they had on sale at AutoZone (I had some gift cards) so that's what will go in this week.

Originally Posted By: jkhawaii
I would change it out to get the break in metals out.

I changed it last week with Rotella T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back