Jiffy Lube filter or bring my own

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend always used JL. He kept after me to try them. One day he gave me a $10 off coupon and I went there. The mgr. went by my vin to get the correct filter and oil. As I was watching he grabbed a filter for a 4.6. At that time I had a 97 F150,4.2 V6. I told him that was the wrong filter but he insisted it was correct. I told him my engine was a 4.2 V6 but he insisted on using the filter he chose because the computer told him to. I even pointed to the 6 spark plugs but that didn't phase him. I told him to get the "F" away from my truck,and I left!

I didn't go to any quick lube for reasons: I do my own oil changes, or take the oil+filter to my mechanic and pay for labor.

The last time I had an oil change in my S2000 was at a Honda dealer, because I had a coupon for free oil change. They actually used the specific OEM filter for S2000, the 15400-PCX-004, and 10W30 oil not the generic 5W20 for most other engines.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
I wouldn't let Biffy Lube oil my bicycle chain!
31.gif

^^^THIS^^^

If you're going to let Jiffy Lube touch your car, you might as well (IMHO) let them do the whole thing and worry not about the filter.

Originally Posted By: Virtuoso
If you're going to let Jiffy Lube touch your car, you might as well (IMHO) let them do the whole thing and worry not about the filter.

So,you think it's ok for a national chain to try and install a filter that has different threads as to what actually goes on there? And,them to tell you its a V8,even after showing them it's a V6? These are the stories that show up as to WHY NOT take your auto/truck to these uneducated clowns!
43.gif

So,you think it's ok for a national chain to try and install a filter that has different threads as to what actually goes on there? And,them to tell you its a V8,even after showing them it's a V6? These are the stories that show up as to WHY NOT take your auto/truck to these uneducated clowns!
43.gif

This is a mistake many consumers make. Jiffy Lube is a franchise so the quality and professionalism will very from store to store. I know some Jiffy Lube's that use purolator filters and offer Amsoil oils but others I would not trust to change the oil in a lawnmower. As the saying goes mileage will very.

Originally Posted By: AnarchyX
Ok so I need to do an oil change and I usually bring my own (Purolator PureOne) but seeing as how the price of an oil change has gone up again, I'm wondering if I can save a few bucks and still get the protection for my truck by just using the filter at Jiffy Lube, or whatever oil change place I wind up at.

Thoughts?

1.) The Walmart direction is decent advice.
2.) Establish a relationship with one lube shop instead of bouncing around.
3.) Find out if the oil filter offered for your vehicle is the exact OEM fit as some part numbers are a close fit, in short OEM use theirs close fit bring your own.

Toto.

43.gif

I never said that.

All I'm saying is that IMHO leave all of the liability on Iffy Lube instead of taking your own filter and using their oil, or whatever.

43.gif

I never said that.

All I'm saying is that IMHO leave all of the liability on Iffy Lube instead of taking your own filter and using their oil, or whatever.

Um,no. I would much rather drive my vehicle out of there then to have it towed.
31.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back