Any stuck caliper bolt tricks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wrong pads in the box. The wrong pads were brand new, but not in any plastic wrap, just an elastic band. The box had the right part number. Was also missing the new hardware that was supposed to be in there. Never replaced them on this car, so I didn't know they were wrong by looking at them. Not even close, almost 1" too long and a different shape. I called the store, was their last set. They sent me to another store 15 miles away and hung up on me. I exchanged at the other store. Same box part number, correct pads sealed in plastic with hardware inside. Needless to say I don't trust them anymore.

Also at the second store they took the wrong pads in the right box back, never put it aside, never opened it up, never even checked my receipt. I can imagine next crew comes in, sees the exchange, puts it back. Probably happen again!

Last edited:
Speaking about wrong things in the box, the last time I did brakes, the Autozone calipers came with caliper slide bolts (on both, the shorter one of the two) that were 3mm longer than oem. Result? Finished both rear brakes, only to have the slightly longer bolts gouge both rotors on the inside.

I hope anyone else doing this will use JACK STANDS, not a jack. Jack is for lifting only, not support.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
............ Needless to say I don't trust them anymore.

Also at the second store they took the wrong pads in the right box back, never put it aside, never opened it up, never even checked my receipt. I can imagine next crew comes in, sees the exchange, puts it back. Probably happen again!

If you are looking for 100% perfection and first time quality in the auto parts world, good luck with that. Not a one out there that does not get parts mixed up or swapped by customers on returns.

I have also seen people buy both the economy and premium pads to only install the premium pads on their car but return the economy pad in the premium box.

It is a less learned to know exactly what your parts look like and to inspect before leaving the parts store. Should not have to but it saves aggravation in the long run.

Yeah, in hindsight I should have taken the pads out first to know what they looked like. But I needed the car to go to AAP. Was a judgement call gone bad.

When you get your new bolts apply anti seize to the threads before installing them to prevent this from happening again.

i would recommend against that, i've seen caliper bolts back out due to anti-seize... just torque it correctly and maybe lil more, or tiny bit of loctite

The rear pad install was fine until recently. There is a grind from the left rear when I round a corner, left hand turn, braking taking a left. Straight ahead or to the right its fine. I don't see anything obvious. Any ideas what could be doing that?

Originally Posted By: cutter
Speaking about wrong things in the box, the last time I did brakes, the Autozone calipers came with caliper slide bolts (on both, the shorter one of the two) that were 3mm longer than oem. Result? Finished both rear brakes, only to have the slightly longer bolts gouge both rotors on the inside.

I too have had issues with Autozone brake pads, both the longer bolts you describe (which I didn't use)and the pads being so thick they could not fit, even though the rotor was used and not full thickness. I had to grind off about 1/16th to 1/8th of an inch on each pad for them to fit, and yes the piston was fully seated in the bore. I won't use AZ pads anymore because of these issues.

Originally Posted By: [RT
ProjUltraZ]i would recommend against that, i've seen caliper bolts back out due to anti-seize... just torque it correctly and maybe lil more, or tiny bit of loctite

Bolts will not back out because they are lubricated. If that were true, oil drain plugs would be falling out all over the place. Bolts are held in place by clamp force. Ask any mechanical engineer. I always lube/antiseeze caliper bolts and lug nuts and never have had a problem in over 30 years. And do not put locktite on caliper bolts.

Originally Posted By: another Todd
Bolts are held in place by clamp force. Ask any mechanical engineer

Yep. This is probably one of the most misunderstood mechanical principles of all time. I have even seen individuals online claim that bolts insufficiently clamped can TIGHTEN over time. Not loosen, tighten. Does water run uphill?

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
You gotta be kidding me. I just checked the new vs. the old pads I was able to get off on the passenger side. Its the wrong pads in the box! Part number is right, but the pads are completely different size. Thanks AAP, I need to bum a ride or put it back together..
mad.gif

To add salt to the wound, notice theres a small puddle under my hydraulic jack. Because of the jack points, I had to raise the whole rear. Think it blew a seal. Its a 1/2hr job. Why me...

This has happened to me at AAP. The pads I bought were for the model up from mine. I had to use a different brand to get the correct pads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back