opinions; Powerbond vs. Fluidampr balancers??

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the previous post, I want to clarify when I reference "we are constantly looking for a little more", I mean "we" generally as in motorsports and performance enthusiasts.

The crank bolt is the 'proper tool' for installing it on the LS1 (actually the old crank bolt to torque it down, then a new, OEM, torque-to-yield bolt, or an ARP), so I don't have to worry about the hammer anyway.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Fluidampr
Thank you for the positive feedback.

Again, I am here if you have any questions.

Ivan @ Fluidampr

Ivan;

Do your (or any others') dampers/hb's have any effect at all on even a minor/slight internal imbalance in the rotating assembly over the stock piece, or is it ONLY and exclusively the firing thrust hamonics/vibrations they control/minimize ??

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

Ivan @ Fluidampr

Ivan;

Do your (or any others') dampers/hb's have any effect at all on even a minor/slight internal imbalance in the rotating assembly over the stock piece, or is it ONLY and exclusively the firing thrust hamonics/vibrations they control/minimize ??

A elastomeric damper may or may not help depending if the vibrations put out by the imbalance occur within the frequency range the damper was tuned for. This damper will not correct an imbalance.

A Fluidampr will help absorb a small amount of the vibrations put out by an imbalance but again does not correct the imbalance. Suggestion here on a built engine is to have the rotating assembly properly balanced to remove imbalance.

-Ivan

On the subject of crank snouts being broken I put the blame squarely on improper procedures.

Our fleet trucks have three holes drilled in the crank snout to locate the drive pulley for our equipment. These must be nearly perfect or they can do anything, even crack.

Crankshafts rarely just break, and forged ones are hard to do so. You have to be a ham fisted idjit with a BIG hammer. It's more common than you think!

Ivan @ Fluidampr

Ivan;

A elastomeric damper may or may not help depending if the vibrations put out by the imbalance occur within the frequency range the damper was tuned for. This damper will not correct an imbalance.

A Fluidampr will help absorb a small amount of the vibrations put out by an imbalance but again does not correct the imbalance. Suggestion here on a built engine is to have the rotating assembly properly balanced to remove imbalance.

-Ivan

THANK YOU!

If I ever have Katech build me my 'dream engine' from scratch, the rotating assembly will be balanced down to a trillionth of a gram or so!
lol.gif
(And it will have the capability to spin in excess of 9500 revs without damage, albeit it will make it's power MUCH lower than that, of course.
wink.gif
)

But yes, I was asking about MY factory assembly line built engine.

I have one of your 740111s on order as we speak. It looks like I am going to replace the timing set, and oil pump while the balancer is out of the way (gotta try for another 150K+ miles
wink.gif
).

Ivan @ Fluidampr

Ivan;

-Ivan

THANK YOU!

If I ever have Katech build me my 'dream engine' from scratch, the rotating assembly will be balanced down to a trillionth of a gram or so!
lol.gif
(And it will have the capability to spin in excess of 9500 revs without damage, albeit it will make it's power MUCH lower than that, of course.
wink.gif
)

But yes, I was asking about MY factory assembly line built engine.

I have one of your 740111s on order as we speak. It looks like I am going to replace the timing set, and oil pump while the balancer is out of the way (gotta try for another 150K+ miles
wink.gif
).

You are welcome.

I am not sure if I pointed it out earlier but one of the key advantages of our viscous damper is that as long as you do not lose the press fit, the Fluidampr will last the life of the engine. There is no elastomeric that needs to be rebuilt or retuned.
wink.gif

Also, the 740111 incorporates the stock size serpentine pulley out of aluminum over our steel damper. This is one of my favorite designs we offer and you will be very happy with the quality.

Yes, I hope so, since all of the naysayers on LS1tech.com ONLY swear by the ATI, regardless of useage/application, or rev ranges.
(They don't say yours is not good, but just that the Super Damper is better, even at lower rev ranges "because of the way it's built"
smirk.gif
. A LOT of them have FULLY built and/or power adder/stroker, screamer setups for drag racing, even though they claim that should NOT make a difference.)

They also say that since I would not be (ab)using the ATI as it is designed to be, the elastomers would last "several hundred thousand miles, and many decades" according to their wisdom.
lol.gif

Fluidampr, quick question if you don't mind.

I am planning on probably this year building a small block Ford. Basically a 347 using a BOSS 302 block. Ideally I want to use an internally balanced assembly vs the .28oz that small block Ford's normally run. Do you have a damper for that application? Uses will be open track with street use.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Fluidampr, quick question if you don't mind.

I am planning on probably this year building a small block Ford. Basically a 347 using a BOSS 302 block. Ideally I want to use an internally balanced assembly vs the .28oz that small block Ford's normally run. Do you have a damper for that application? Uses will be open track with street use.

Yes we have a Fluidampr for both applications, internally and externally balanced.

The 28 oz. imbalance Fluidampr is part# 650211.
The internal balanced Fluidampr is part# 650231.

Both units incorporate the 4 bolt standard Ford mounting pattern for pulleys.

I can email customer blueprints for each that give key dimensions. If needed please contact me via email at [email protected]

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks,

Ivan @ Fluidampr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back