Fuel prices? Your low, mid, high prices?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In NJ, I can get gas at $3.20/gal for 87.

But, my Local Sunoco which I use for 93-94, here are the prices.
Reg 87 $3.35
Mid 89 $3.65
High 93 $ 3.75
"Premium" 94 $3.85

What is the deal with gas prices? Is it just the East coast that has such a vast difference in grades? It used to be only $0.05 - $0.10 more for each grade up.
I have only been from NJ to SC in '12 and noticed it down and up, but not as much of a jump between grades.
I understand that no new refineries are being built, only taken off-line creating a bottleneck and a way to more precisely control cost more or less... and commodities trading and hedging and all that jazz...

--------------------------------------------------------------
Diesel $3.69 - $4.07, is another story... An added tax on EVERYTHING we use.
When I first started driving, regular was $0.99 for a few years and Diesel was $0.79 -$0.89.
Less than gasoline.

Is it the ethanol and farmers?
I heard something in small town in SC where gov't subsidizes farmers to plant crops late in the season to burn or something. Don;t really understand it as I am a city boy.
I live in the Garden State where they once tried to make it pretty much illegal to have garden on your property. Late 80's early 90's...

Can anyone shed some light on prices?

As I understand it on the NJ turnpike they can only update the gas prices on Fridays. So if there's a big jump in price, the turnpike stations have to sell at a loss. This also tempers prices nearby.

I suspect local stations are stranded with high test fuel that noone will buy. 87 is $3.45 while 91 is $3.90 here. While prices dropped for regular over the last couple months I still saw 91 for over $4.

Diesel has been low sulfur since the mid 2000s and that bumped up its price.

When octane price differences were $0.05 - $0.10, the prices were around $1/gallon therefore 10% increase. Now with octane $0.10-$0.15 increases, that's less than 5%...

so maybe ethanol is keeping it cheaper? not making it more like you think.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
As I understand it on the NJ turnpike they can only update the gas prices on Fridays. So if there's a big jump in price, the turnpike stations have to sell at a loss. This also tempers prices nearby.

I suspect local stations are stranded with high test fuel that noone will buy

Yes & No, win-some, lose-some.
When gas dips, as it just did, they were still charging the higher price.
Now it's coming up and they lose. They have higher prices then local station though.
Close by the Linden refinery is some of the cheapest brand name or no name gas that can be had in the state.

I wish we could have an OPTION of full/self serve to knock the price down a bit more.

As far as selling the premium, I ask the attendants I see what the deal is with price gap and if it was old gas, and they say it moves pretty well considering the price, hence it is not old and sitting.
If it were sitting too long, I think it would be in the owners/suppliers/companies best interest just to NOT sell it due to phase separation.

Just saw a guy in a Kia SEOUL two days ago getting premium.
About a month ago, get ready, the old 3 cyl Geo Metro, guy filling with 93.
Then the exotics/high performance... they are getting 93/94
And very few the $7.99+ 100+ octane. THAT sits.

(I know there are only two grades, and the middles are just ratio blended)

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Depends on the station here- it can vary from 3.17-3.57 for 87 around here.....

I'm trying to see what the gap is between your lowest and highest octanes.
Its really odd with such a wide margin the last year.

Yesterday, Chevron regular @ 3.49/gallon using the Chevron gift card for .05 savings per gallon. Been using the gift card for a few weeks now. When it runs down to 25 or below, I go in and flip some cash to run it back up (added $90 yesterday) so I don't have to go in except to bring it back up when needed.
Didn't have to give name or any other information, just cash, they put it on the card and go.

For the last 60 days or so 87 octane has been between $2.89 and $2.99 here in Kansas City. In the heartland it seems our gas prices are pegged to WTI crude and the eastern part of the US is pegged to Brent Crude which is about $17 a barrel higher. Although the nearly completed pipeline from Cushing OK to the Gulf coast refineries, will narrow the gap in price. The glut of oil at Cushing will evaporate, bringing up the price of WTI crude. This is already happening the last couple of weeks as the gap has shrunk from $22 to $17.

Gas here is usually pretty close. Its 3.05 here for 89 (E10), 3.18 for 87 (E0) and 3.28 for premium. There is a conoco station where the premium is .50 more expensive than regular, 3.05 for 89 but 3.68 for 91. Thats the only station with that big of a swing and I cant figure out why, except for being next to 4 lane highway.

Most stations in Orange County, CA have 10 cents spread between grades, few stations have only 8 cents spread and few stations have 12 cents spread.

We don't have E0 in CA and we don't have 93 octane either.

I've seen a 50 cent spread from regular to premium at several different stations. I thought it was ridiculous when the prices difference between grades went to twenty cents versus a dime.

The ethanol free station I frequent here used to be among the lowest priced stations around here. He wasn't able to get any ethanol free for a few months so he quit selling altogether. Now he's back to selling gas,but he's among the highest priced stations here. I figure all the other stations will catch up to him pretty quick though.

Originally Posted By: Racerjk
I've seen a 50 cent spread from regular to premium at several different stations. I thought it was ridiculous when the prices difference between grades went to twenty cents versus a dime.

The ethanol free station I frequent here used to be among the lowest priced stations around here. He wasn't able to get any ethanol free for a few months so he quit selling altogether. Now he's back to selling gas,but he's among the highest priced stations here. I figure all the other stations will catch up to him pretty quick though.

Wisconsin is the same way... some stations are 10 cents between grades, others, 15 and 20 cents. I've also seen 50 cent gaps between 87 and 93 octane grades. GasBuddy online or their smartphone app is your friend. My WRX needs premium and I really try to fill up at stations with the 20 cent difference.

In kansas city, the range from 87 to 91 octane is anywhere from $0.24 (quiktrip) to $0.30 (philips66).

Originally Posted By: OilFool

Reg 87 $3.35
Mid 89 $3.65
High 93 $ 3.75
"Premium" 94 $3.85

WHERE WHERE WHERE in Joisee can one still procure Sunoco 94????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Been seeing a lot more $0.60+ spreads between 87 and premium

Sunoco 94:
Exit 53 off 287 on northbound side. Hook a right at the light and the Sunoco will be on your right at the next light. Been filling the Rover there until I recently had issues with only being able to pump $0.20 a clip in. I think it's part their pumps and part the Land Rover since I don't have issues at many other places.
All the guys from Super Car Sundays fill up there or:
The old CAM2 station on 23 South (Kinnelon?)... Now a Delta, but still carry 100+ at the pump.

alright fruit bags,

here's ours.

Super - $3.09
Unlead - $3.14
Premium - $3.29

In some areas Super is $3.14 and Unlead is $3.19. If you get the cheap gas from Freedom the pump actually reads as $3.04 per gallon. I don't care, I throw it in when I'm in the area. I always have Techron I can use if it gets to be an issue.

I thought of this article when I saw your post: http://blog.gasbuddy.com/posts/-Grade-Ga...16615-1407.aspx

While searching for it I came across one from a few years earlier that says the cost of it hasn't risen even though they are charging more for higher octane: http://blog.gasbuddy.com/blogpostv2.aspx...d=225&ign=2

It's sad that they hit us so hard on something that probably doesn't cost them anymore than a few cents per gallon more than regular. I wouldn't have a problem paying 20 cents more for premium, but 30 to 40 cents more on average like it is around here is ridiculous.

Edit: Just checked regular 87 octane prices around here. The lowest few stations around here are at 3.15. Lowest 89 octane is 3.35 with most of them being in the mid to upper 3.40's, and lowest 93 octane is 3.59...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OilFool

Reg 87 $3.35
Mid 89 $3.65
High 93 $ 3.75
"Premium" 94 $3.85

What is the deal with gas prices? Is it just the East coast that has such a vast difference in grades? It used to be only $0.05 - $0.10 more for each grade up.

When gas was $1/gallon that $0.05 - $0.10 more for each grade was a 5-10% mark-up for each level. It is still only $0.10 from 87 to 89 octane. That's roughly 3.5% mark-up. and from 89 to 93 octane that $0.20 difference is only roughly 6% mark up.

Therefore the higher octanes are a much better value now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back