Advantages of Synthetic Base Oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Linkadink

Quote:
Depending on the type of synthetic, other advantages of synthetic lubricants (beyond the high- and low-temperature advantage) may include:

Improved energy efficiency (less than 1 percent) due to better low-temperature properties
Higher oil film strength with some synthetics
Extended warranties by some equipment manufacturers
Lower engine hydrocarbon emissions
Extended drain intervals in some (clean) applications
Biodegradability with some synthetics (esters)
Natural detergency
Higher viscosity index
Fire resistance (phosphate esters)

Originally Posted By: buster
Linkadink

Quote:
Depending on the type of synthetic, other advantages of synthetic lubricants (beyond the high- and low-temperature advantage) may include:

Improved energy efficiency (less than 1 percent) due to better low-temperature properties
Higher oil film strength with some synthetics
Extended warranties by some equipment manufacturers
Lower engine hydrocarbon emissions
Extended drain intervals in some (clean) applications
Biodegradability with some synthetics (esters)
Natural detergency
Higher viscosity index
Fire resistance (phosphate esters)

Let me highlight some words...
lol.gif

Still wondering how all those engines out there make it...

Synthetics cost about $10 more per oil change (sometimes more or less), so roughly...at most $50 a year more than running conventional. Cars cost many thousands of dollars, depending if bought new or used. Why would you cheap out on an essential like engine lubrication? If you extended a few OCI, you'd get your money back (more or less) and you'd probably get a cleaner engine. Where's the value in cheaping out on engine oil? To save $50 a year on an essential like lubrication for the engine? Just means one less [censored] family dinner at Olive Garden. You were better off at home.

$50 a year? I do a yearly OCI with synthetics and buy the $30 5 quart deals with the uber filter. I'm saving money here with a better product.

Lets see...

One vehicle went to 394,000 miles
Another to mid 300s
Another to low 300s
Another at 270k and still fine
Yet another at 285k and still runs like it did when I brought it home.

and so on.

And all on "cheap" oil... Still wondering how they do it?

Longer oil change intervals
Better cold start characteristics in extreme cold
Better volatility
That's about all I got. There is nothing wrong with conventional oil and when a proper maintenance plan is adhered to I doubt very much an engine run on synthetic will outlive an engine that was fed conventional all its life.
In the end oil is oil. Pick a maintenance plan and find an oil that meets your needs and call er done.
This is of course just my humble opinion. I'm sure there are applications where a conventional isn't suitable but not all engines require big buck synthetics either.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Lets see...

Another to mid 300s
Another to low 300s

and so on.

thumbsup2.gif
Its easy when you take care of them.
cheers3.gif

Lets see...

Another to mid 300s
Another to low 300s

and so on.

I'm not saying it isn't possible, but what are the advantages to using 'cheap' oil? And with certain OCI, they're at least equivalent price-wise, wouldn't you agree? So if price is taken out of the equation, I see only benefits to going synthetic unless I'm missing something.

Originally Posted By: Cujobob

I'm not saying it isn't possible, but what are the advantages to using 'cheap' oil? And with certain OCI, they're at least equivalent price-wise, wouldn't you agree? So if price is taken out of the equation, I see only benefits to going synthetic unless I'm missing something.

Price taken out?
crackmeup2.gif

And in a fantasy word I'd be driving a new Corvette every year.

Your post above asked one question for the most part. Why waste the $$ and in many apps you NEED (unlike NEEDING syn) to change the oil more often.

There is no magic in oil or oil.

Take care, Bill

In a well-maintained vehicle, why would you need to change the oil more often? (outside of the random poor engine designs) Outside of a few exceptions, it would seem synthetics are a better choice. So for cars that may need oil changed more often, I can see where you're coming from...but isn't that simply an exception to a rule?

Originally Posted By: Cujobob
Why would you cheap out on an essential like engine lubrication? If you extended a few OCI, you'd get your money back (more or less) and you'd probably get a cleaner engine. Where's the value in cheaping out on engine oil? To save $50 a year on an essential like lubrication for the engine? Just means one less [censored] family dinner at Olive Garden. You were better off at home.

Using your logic, why would YOU cheap out on lubrication? Using a wal mart special, group 3 "synthetic" that has marginally better specs than dino counterparts is definitely cheapening out. Why not put your money where your mouth is and use some uber expensive, all PAO oil that will run you $20 a quart? Why cheapen out?

Lets see...

Another to mid 300s
Another to low 300s

and so on.

I understand what your saying here,but to give an example to why synthetic oil,besides being more expensive oil has it's benefits.Our city dept street dept. and snow removal equipment was all converted over to synthetic oil a few years ago.In doing so,they've had less down time,resulting from their equipment starting easier,and plain starting period during the coldest times of the year.

"A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still". So goes the saying. I appreciate the fact I do many less OCs with synthetic and still get the obvious other benefits as well. Look at all the oil changes I have saved in the last 35 years of using synthetic oil.

Many cars on here that ran conventional but died early.

Cost of conventional change at dealer: $20 + $3/quart + tax
$30

Cost os synthetic change at dealer: $20 + $5/quart + tax
$41

Not a huge difference. Especially compared to how much "oil" you burn-u[ in 5000 miles of driving ($3/gallon times 200 == $600). So instead of $630 for conventional runs I'm spending $641 for synthetic runs. Mot a big deal.

Originally Posted By: blackman777
Many cars on here that ran conventional but died early.

Cost of conventional change at dealer: $20 + $3/quart + tax
$30

Cost os synthetic change at dealer: $20 + $5/quart + tax
$41

Not a huge difference. Especially compared to how much "oil" you burn-u[ in 5000 miles of driving ($3/gallon times 200 == $600). So instead of $630 for conventional runs I'm spending $641 for synthetic runs. Mot a big deal.

So using "your" math the same vehicle uses less oil with conventional? (looks to be around 3 qts for the first number and 4 quarts for the second)

And again where are all those vehicles that "died" early? Since MOST vehicles out there do use a "cheap" "conventional" oil (many times more) where can I find them on my commute?

Or do they die when not on the road?

Interesting math.... (not just you but many)

Originally Posted By: DragRace

I understand what your saying here,but to give an example to why synthetic oil,besides being more expensive oil has it's benefits.Our city dept street dept. and snow removal equipment was all converted over to synthetic oil a few years ago.In doing so,they've had less down time,resulting from their equipment starting easier,and plain starting period during the coldest times of the year.

When you get the time please post the link where the city has all these "features".

I've seen public safety and utilities get free/reduced oil for a few test vehicles and in the end they kept doing what they have done for years.

Most snow removal equipment issues are with hydraulics and the electric motors to spread salt. The power trains are quite reliable with any spec'd fluids.

Until they can take NEW units and run a few with syn and a few normal then that would be valid data.

Take care, Bill

And again where are all those vehicles that "died" early?
They have been posted on this forum. Look for Honda Pilot and Honda 3.5 over the last few days.

And corrected math: Cost of conventional change at dealer: $20 + $3/quart
[$32]
Cost of synthetic change at dealer: $20 + $5/quart
[$40]
So instead of $632 for my gasoline + conventional oil I'm spending $640 for synthetic runs. Mot a big deal. Only 2% savings.

Originally Posted By: blackman777
And again where are all those vehicles that "died" early?
They have been posted on this forum. Look for Honda Pilot and Honda 3.5 over the last few days.

Did you not see posts made by Trav? Did you read his first hand experience with this engine?
If you did let me know how synthetic would've prevented that failure.

What other engine failure were there? C’mon don’t hold out on us!

It costs like $40 to get a dino oil change at jiffy lube. It costs me the same to do it myself with synthetic and a premium filter.
Thats how I justify using syn when I really dont need it.
lol.gif

I know my reasoning is flawed, but don't point it out and I will keep ignoring that part. Haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back