your oil change temperature?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So guy's my seaching skills kinda sucks.
vehical has not run in a week, so I'm guessing
90% plus oil is in the pan.
Should I heat her up, or change it cold.
Info. New to me 2007 Buick Rendezvous
145,000 KM
3.5 Letre engine
Penzoil YB and M1 oil filter.
no info on maintains from pervious owner.

Later,
Jaxon..

I'd heat it up; take it for a 15-20 minute drive so the oil drains freely. You'll get most of the old oil out that way.

Well hot oil is better at keeping varnish and other contaminates in suspension, like sugar in hot coffee, so I would change it hot to try and get as much bad stuff out as possible.

Yeah get it fully hot. 20 miles or more of driving, then pull it out. Let it drain as long as you can.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Another vote for Hot.

Yep, hotter is better. Oil temp lags coolant temp so keep driving around for at least another 10 mins after the coolant reaches normal temperature. If you are doing a UOA sample drive for at least half an hour to get rid of any new fuel contamination.

warm enough to flow out easily. I know it's best to pull the plug the second you shut the engine off but getting 200 degree oil running down my arm just isn't going to happen. It's not worth the risk cause good luck getting it off in time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yet another vote for hot. I always drive my car for about half an hour before I drain the oil. Just be careful not to get burnt, wear thick gloves if you need to.

+ another for hot. I usually take it for a ride, come back and put it up on ramps, then go inside for a cuppa. That lets the oil all drain back and cool just a little so I don't get burned.

Prefer on the hot side for all the reasons mentioned above and wear nitrile gloves for the process.

As for search try copy paste below in google search:

change oil hot or cold site:bobistheoilguy.com

I vote for about 100F.

Drive the car, park it and then a few minutes later touch the oil pan quickly.

If the oil pan is too hot to the touch, give it more time to cool.

Really hot oil running down to your elbow is no fun.
eek.gif

Last edited:
I usually change it after driving home from work or doing some errands. I'll let it sit while I have a coffee and a sandwich or something and then change it out.

I am for warm oil. Drive it around the block a couple of times (we have a big block), on the ramps and the drain plug comes off. Not interested in dealing with hot oil.

HOT. Go buy what you need, get it up on ramps and pop the hood.

By the time I find the filter wrench that I have been moving out of my way the last few months and get the drain pan ready, gather the tools, oil, filter, creeper, don the Tyvek suit and wait for the wind to stop blowing it's the right temp for draining.
smile.gif

I change at whatever temp is convenient. I dont worry about maybe a few extra drops of oil in the engine cold vs hot.

I always lift the front of the car though so the drain plug is at the low end of the oil pan, to get the most out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back