Normal voltage output from alternator?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just replaced a faulty 90amp alternator on my mothers 2004 New Beetle Cabrio w/2.0L 8V BGD engine with a new 120amp. Before the alternator put out around a low 14.10 volts at idle with nothing but the engine running (no lights...ect) and with this new one at idle it hover around 14.70 volts. Does that seem a bit high?

Thanks

is the battery on your mom's car fully charge? (what is the state of charge)?

If not, take it out on a 1/2hr drive and then come back and check...it should be overing around between 13.8VDC to 14.3VDC (approx.) while idling around 750rpm

Q.

The colder the battery, the higher the voltages need to be to fully charge it.

Asking a new or reman'd alternator to fully charge a dead battery, is not wise.

The battery charge level, and abmient temp are huge factors in battery voltage output.

Having higher amp rating alternator can also cause the battery to charge faster for shorter ammount of time causing higher voltage reading.

I wouldnt worry about it too much, check your battery voltage while disconnected a few times ( diffrent days ) as long its not above 12.9 no cause for overcharge alert.

When I hooked up the battery after installation it had a charge of 12.8 volts

Put a battery charger on the car overnight, see what it's putting out the next day once the battery is 'full'.

Cold weather + partially discharged battery could mean the new alternator is putting out more voltage to top up the battery.

Originally Posted By: wrcsixeight
X2. I had 2 brand new alts go out IN 2 DAYS!! trying to charge a dead battery.The first time i thought the alt was bad,but no,the battery was too low.

Originally Posted By: scurvy
Put a battery charger on the car overnight, see what it's putting out the next day once the battery is 'full'.

Cold weather + partially discharged battery could mean the new alternator is putting out more voltage to top up the battery.

The battery was already charged before putting it back in the car with the new alternator. I had it on an automatic trickle charger the night before so why would I put it back on the charger when it was holding 12.80volts?

I do not think the voltages you are seeing at your temperatures are anything to worry about.

On a semi related note, trickle chargers are usually about 2 amps.

Most batteries contain at least 55 amp hours. So if the battery was drained dead, as which might happen when an alternator fails, putting it on a trickle charger overnight would not return it to full charge.

Obviously we do not know the state of charge of the battery when you hooked it to the charger, nor the size of the battery, nor how much of its original capacity it has remaining, so putting it on a charger of unknown output overnight, even for another night, is not an unwarranted response.

12.8 volts 6 hours after the charger was removed would indicate the battery is charged to its remaining maximum capacity or very nearly so.

12.8 volts 1 hour after the charger is removed means little. Takes a while for surface charge to dissipate, and it varies with battery temperature, battery construction, and health as to the rate at which it dissipates.

If this vehicle sees lots of short trip driving, do not rely on the alternator to bring and hold the battery to/at 100%.

If the battery was completely drained, and is older than a year or 2, do not be surprised if it fails in the not too distant future. Especially if your 12.8 is a surface charge measurement, and not a rested battery measurement.

If your battery has caps to check electrolyte level, then just make sure the battery is not using large amounts of water.

Refill with distilled h20. Not tap/well/spring or mineral water.

I do not think the voltages you are seeing at your temperatures are anything to worry about.

Most batteries contain at least 55 amp hours. So if the battery was drained dead, as which might happen when an alternator fails, putting it on a trickle charger overnight would not return it to full charge.

Obviously we do not know the state of charge of the battery when you hooked it to the charger, nor the size of the battery, nor how much of its original capacity it has remaining, so putting it on a charger of unknown output overnight, even for another night, is not an unwarranted response.

12.8 volts 6 hours after the charger was removed would indicate the battery is charged to its remaining maximum capacity or very nearly so.

12.8 volts 1 hour after the charger is removed means little. Takes a while for surface charge to dissipate, and it varies with battery temperature, battery construction, and health as to the rate at which it dissipates.

If this vehicle sees lots of short trip driving, do not rely on the alternator to bring and hold the battery to/at 100%.

If the battery was completely drained, and is older than a year or 2, do not be surprised if it fails in the not too distant future. Especially if your 12.8 is a surface charge measurement, and not a rested battery measurement.

If your battery has caps to check electrolyte level, then just make sure the battery is not using large amounts of water.

When the original alternator failed the battery voltage reading I have from my DVM was about 11 volts. The battery was not drained, and it sat on a charger for more than a day and when I removed it from the auto trickle charger the "full charge" light was on. The battery itself is only about 3 -4 months old so I don't think checking the electrolyte is warranted.

Okay then.

Most automatic chargers stop in the 92 to 95% range. It is not always easy to get those last few percent into the battery. Doing so by restarting the charger and running it through another cycle, especially after draining it to 11 volts, might just extend the batteries lifespan.

Or it might not. Just saying it can't hurt.

Sometimes a manual charger and 16+ volts are required to get the battery back upto 100%, especially on a battery drained to 11 volts.

Disconnect the ground cable if attempting such a recovery (15.5+volts) with the battery in vehicle, and definitely make sure the plates are covered before beginning.

Also don't assume a new battery is filled to the proper level. I've seen wide variations in many batteries over the last few years.

Originally Posted By: Mr_Accord

When the original alternator failed the battery voltage reading I have from my DVM was about 11 volts. The battery was not drained, and it sat on a charger for more than a day and when I removed it from the auto trickle charger the "full charge" light was on. The battery itself is only about 3 -4 months old so I don't think checking the electrolyte is warranted.

wrxsixeight is spot-on.

if you measured 11volts at the terminals during a period where no heavy loads were on it during the measurement, that battery has suffered at least one major deep discharge cycle. One alone won't harm it much, but habitual deep cycles on a starter battery will kill it.

good alternator output... 13-15.5 volts.

they regulate by voltage, not by current. the alternator/ecu does NOT know if the battery is full, moderate, weak, at 100% capacity or choked with sulfate.... it just puts a voltage out there with the current to maintain it, field coils always adjusting to compensate for loads, rpms, etc...

voltage set point is biased on (in anything past the '80s) temperature, or a timer that guesses at temperature, so that cold temps get a higher voltage.

you can sag at idle when the alt is not spinning fast enough to cover heavier loads, however some vehicles today will bump idle to raise rpm to compensate.

When testing a battery at rest, it's very difficult to get a Good measurement with just a voltmeter. 12.65 is full, 11.9 is drained. Surface charge will throw the numbers. Temperature influences capacity. Any loads will affect the decimal places, which count.

m

Last edited:
The colder the battery, the higher the voltages need to be to fully charge it.

Most alternator warranties are void with dead or bad batteries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back