API SN
MB-Approval 229.3
MB-Approval 229.5
BMW LONGLIFE OIL 01
VW 502 00
VW 505 00
PORSCHE A40
AVTOVAZ (LADA cars) AAE B6

The SN spec is a joke. Porsche A40 is also very easy to pass. The only spec that really "challenged" this oil and pushed it to the limits was the MB 229.5. (Though not as challenging as passing VW507..... like M1 ESP 5w-30 5w-40 does).

Source: http://origin-qps.onstreammedia.com/orig...p/pc/index.html

Kinda makes me want to switch over to euro oils like M1 0/40 or PU 5/40.

It seems like their oils surpass ours at every level.

Originally Posted By: electrolover

I've thought of doing this too, but I don't want to put a 40 grade oil in my Focus - seems too thick. It's still tempting though, at least once maybe. But I don't really need an oil that exceptional for my 6 month OCI schedule.

You know, thats the only thing that has stopped me as well. But im starting to lean toward the thicker is better crowd and not swallow all the hog wash epa and CAFE is forcing down our throats. It seems to me that all these 5/20 and some 5/30 engines are the exact same over seas and they run heavier oil over there.
Im not really sure about any of this tho. Im goin to run some castrol txt 5/40 in my 5/20 spec truck for a while and make a decision. If all goes well I will start stocking up on euro oils when they are on sale at parts stores. My local walmart doesn't carry them..

Originally Posted By: blackman777

Apparently it's great for Ladas.

And that's severe duty as everyone knows.

55284_434003_550x413.jpg

List of approvals:
API SN
MB-Approval 229.3
MB-Approval 229.5
BMW LONGLIFE OIL 01
VW 502 00
VW 505 00
PORSCHE A40

The SN spec is a joke. Porsche A40 is also very easy to pass. The only spec that really "challenged" this oil and pushed it to the limits was the MB 229.5. (Though not as challenging as passing VW507..... like M1 ESP 5w-30 5w-40 does).

You missed a few.

ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4
Nissan GT-R
VW 503 01
SAAB
OPEL Long Life Service Fill GM-LL-A-025
OPEL Diesel Service Fill GM-LL-B-025
FIAT 9.55535 - M2
FIAT 9.55535 - N2
FIAT 9.55535 - Z2

Originally Posted By: Klutch9

I've thought of doing this too, but I don't want to put a 40 grade oil in my Focus - seems too thick. It's still tempting though, at least once maybe. But I don't really need an oil that exceptional for my 6 month OCI schedule.

Yes M1 0W-40 is a great oil; the first high VI OEM oil.
But that doesn't mean it makes any sense to run it in a 20wt application.
If you want the benefits of high VI technology in a 5W-20 application then run the Mobil made Toyota 0W-20 but substitute a quart of M1 0W-40. A sump of 20% M1 0W-40 with give you a heavy 0W-20 with a HTHSV of 2.8cP with a 210 VI.
This oil will be why lighter than any 5W-20 on start-up but also with the high temperature benefit of a 2.8cP that no money can buy.

Overkill: Those are not "approvals" by the manufacturer.
That's just Mobil making unverified claims.

What's a Lada? What country are those cars from? And the 0w-40 is only 1.5 times thicker than 0w-20. I'm sure you could run it in your cars (unless you live in Northern Canada where you need a thin oil).

Last edited:
Overkill: Those are not "approvals" by the manufacturer.
That's just Mobil making unverified claims.

What's a Lada? What country are those cars from? And the 0w-40 is only 1.5 times thicker than 0w-20. I'm sure you could run it in your cars (unless you live in Northern Canada where you need a thin oil).

ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4
Nissan GT-R

Are certainly approvals, the other section is the wiggle-worded section, and those specifications may not have a specific "approval" or "certification" associated and may only require a demonstration of compliance.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
List of approvals:
API SN
MB-Approval 229.3
MB-Approval 229.5
BMW LONGLIFE OIL 01
VW 502 00
VW 505 00
PORSCHE A40

You missed a few.

ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4
Nissan GT-R
VW 503 01
SAAB
OPEL Long Life Service Fill GM-LL-A-025
OPEL Diesel Service Fill GM-LL-B-025
FIAT 9.55535 - M2
FIAT 9.55535 - N2
FIAT 9.55535 - Z2

And according to Mobil the SN formula can be used as a personal lubricant.

Personally, I use it in my BMW.

Originally Posted By: Art_Vandelay

And according to Mobil the SN formula can be used as a personal lubricant.

I use it in a 24 year old American pushrod V8 and am still surprised how much smoother and quieter it runs compared to TDT 5w40 and M110-40HM.

If I read these claims, I wouldn't believe them either, but as far as I am concerned it is a magical engine potion and I have to contain my impulses to start hoarding it.

That sounds well and good. However, how would this affect vehicle emissions? I would presume different add packs with Euro oils. I really don't give a danm about emissions per se, but what I do give a danm about is the ol' friendly CEL coming on as a result of the additives getting pushed down stream affecting the O2 sensors and the expensive Cat converters.

Can somebody answer this?

If the 0w-40 causes an emissions problem (which I doubt) switch to the ESP 5w40 which is just as good (or maybe even better) and designed not to poison catalysts
ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4
Nissan GT-R
are certainly approvals, the other section is the wiggle-worded section
I don't know how to say this without you taking offense, but you are mistaken:

"Mobil 1 0W-40 motor oil has the following builders approval:"
MB-Approval 229.3, MB-Approval 229.5, BMW LONGLIFE OIL 01, VW 505 00..... etc

Nissan GT-R is not listed there.
VW 503 01 is not listed there.
SAAB is not listed there.
OPEL is not listed there.
et cetera

Last edited:
If the 0w-40 causes an emissions problem (which I doubt) switch to the ESP 5w40 which is just as good (or maybe even better) and designed not to poison catalysts
ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4
Nissan GT-R
are certainly approvals, the other section is the wiggle-worded section
I don't know how to say this without you taking offense, but you are mistaken:

"Mobil 1 0W-40 motor oil has the following builders approval:"
MB-Approval 229.3, MB-Approval 229.5, BMW LONGLIFE OIL 01, VW 505 00..... etc

Nissan GT-R is not listed there.
VW 503 01 is not listed there.
SAAB is not listed there.
OPEL is not listed there.
et cetera

Why would I take offence?

The first section is meets or exceeds. These are approvals. Nissan GT-R and the ACEA specs are under this section.

We know Mobil's lubricants are certified by ACEA, meaning that this section is most definitely a source of legitimate approvals. Of course ACEA is not a builder, so their approval is not under the section for builder approvals. The Nissan GT-R spec, also under this section would most certainly point to this spec differing in some manner from the classification of builder approvals, hence it being under the "meets/exceeds" heading rather than the builder approval heading.

You need to look at this logically. If that section was not for officially met approvals, this would mean that the vast majority of Mobil's lubricants aren't officially recognized by ACEA. Are you telling me that you believe this to be the case?

With regards to the other specs mentioned, those are again under a separate heading and they are criteria that Mobil claims the lubricant meets, not the manufacturer. I don't know the details for each of those approvals and as to whether Mobil simply needs to demonstrate compliance to list them under the heading as they have done and that there is no "formal" builder approval for those or what the deal is. And unless you have some insider knowledge of the industry, you don't know either.

Now instead of this back and forth, I'm sure one of us could fire off the question to Mobil as to what the significance is of this 3rd heading and the specs listed underneath it. But that of course would lead to an end to your thread, a thread with a title that indicates an agenda, so I'm not sure if you really want the answer.

I'm rather enjoying our 0w40 in our Prius. I've had a few snide remarks here and there but we've had pretty good temps and even when we haven't the vehicle has always ran smooth.

No problems here! The scoffers can go lay an egg!

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Originally Posted By: Klutch9

Yes M1 0W-40 is a great oil; the first high VI OEM oil.
But that doesn't mean it makes any sense to run it in a 20wt application.
If you want the benefits of high VI technology in a 5W-20 application then run the Mobil made Toyota 0W-20 but substitute a quart of M1 0W-40. A sump of 20% M1 0W-40 with give you a heavy 0W-20 with a HTHSV of 2.8cP with a 210 VI.
This oil will be why lighter than any 5W-20 on start-up but also with the high temperature benefit of a 2.8cP that no money can buy.

Thats cool. But I dont use 5/20 anyway. I always use 5/30 now. Guess when it comes down to it im a thicker is better guy. I dont wanna argue it, its just my personal preference.

You know, thats the only thing that has stopped me as well. But im starting to lean toward the thicker is better crowd and not swallow all the hog wash epa and CAFE is forcing down our throats.

The turning point for me was when I tried three different 5w20 oils in our Prius and the sucker was noisy as heck. Both at startup and after it had been driven awhile and was idling. It was clear the engine was saying - "boss, this is NOT the stuff I like". I tried Havoline 5w20 Dino, Mobil Super Syn 5w20, and Peak Syn 5w20. It hated all three. I switched back to a 5w30 and all was well. I'm now running a 0w40, obviously, and the engine is whisper quiet. It likes the thicker oils...as in thick 30's and light 40s.

Originally Posted By: DinoOil

That sounds well and good. However, how would this affect vehicle emissions? I would presume different add packs with Euro oils. I really don't give a danm about emissions per se, but what I do give a danm about is the ol' friendly CEL coming on as a result of the additives getting pushed down stream affecting the O2 sensors and the expensive Cat converters.

No. Those European cars have O2 sensors and cats.

Can somebody answer this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back