Top fuel winter testing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top fuel and funny cars are here this week for there winter testing, so of course my son and I went last night too check it out as we have done the last 2 years, if you have never seen these guys run it should be on your bucket list. After the first session we went to the pits to watch a teardown (one of the Kalitta cars), unbeleivable site to be had, anyway I had to ask. "hey man what oil you guys running?", Redline straight 70 he replies, I looked at him like he has 3 heads and he says "fuel dillution"

I would love to see inside these engines....often nearly incinerated.....after each run.

Here is what we know:
70 weight oil, probably close to 0 weight after fuel dilution.
Horsepower: Thousands
RPM: way more than these big blocks should ever turn.
Lifetime: less than 5 seconds
Speed Obtained: Way more than physicists thought possible in such a short time.

Thanks for the post!

I'm surprised that he did not respond with...we use Valvoline NexGen in our vehicles......we not only ran with it we won with it!!!

That is the answer that I'd look for as a reply.

They were saying last season the Top Fuel cars are making an estimated 10,000hp. The blocks usually last 4 runs from what I have heard.

The oil comes out looking like what would normally indicate a blown head gasket, usually yellow. If you notice on a fuel car, the tank usually in front of the engine. That is the tank to store the blow by gasses on a run.

I was lucky enough to get passes to the Tasca Funny Car tent area at Pomona in 2011, Bob Tasca III is a total class act all the way. He didn't have to do it, but he was making a huge deal over my boss' kids, signing autographs and taking pictures with everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back