timing chain rattle on cold start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have noticed lately when startimg the saturn cold it rattles for a couple seconds. Its the timimg chain that is rattling but why? It is around 20 degrees out side. I am using dino 5w30. Any ideas? Could it be the oil?

If it has ever been run low on oil it could have some worn out timing components. I changed the whole timing set on my 96 SL2 DOHC a few years ago when I had it and the noise from the chain side was totally gone afterwards. The guides looked a bit worn, but not horrible. Oil never made any difference to my chain noise before I replaced it all.

On the saturn 1.9's, usually the timing chain rattling was an indicator that its time to get new guides in there soon. Otherwise, the chain would at times eat through the guides and end up coming through the top of the valve cover!

With that being said, and having owned 2 Saturns in my days, I never experienced timing chain rattle even on cold Michigan winter morning starts on 10w-30 dino.

This is common on Nissan KA24 engines also. The tensioner is likely retracting when the engine is off (and it shouldn't). The chain will slap around until the pressure builds and the tensioner extends and takes up the slack in the chain. This is probably why the noise goes away quicker on a lighter oil...a direct demonstration that a lighter oil when cold can get to critical parts faster on a cold start.

Its a motorcraft. I imagine its more related to oil flow and filter than engine issue. I should ad I assume its the chain based on the sound but it could be lifters ..... it stops so quick that I cannot get out and listen

Tensioners/guides might be a bit "dry". This is a problem on some of the Audi V8s, for example.

In my experience, an oil with higher ester content helps some oil "cling" to those tensioners between starts.

I havent owned a car that had a quiet Tchain tensioner in the winter. The Honda isnt bad, and it doesnt retract, AFAIK it just takes slack over time ratcheting to prevent loosening - like a motorbike tensioner. Belts (dry timing system) were nice but mostly a thing of the past - along with attendant clean(er) and healthier oil.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
This is common on Nissan KA24 engines also. The tensioner is likely retracting when the engine is off (and it shouldn't). The chain will slap around until the pressure builds and the tensioner extends and takes up the slack in the chain. This is probably why the noise goes away quicker on a lighter oil...a direct demonstration that a lighter oil when cold can get to critical parts faster on a cold start.

I experienced the same phenomeno with my 99 Altima....until it got rearendtotaled @ 195k miles....

Last edited:
I would never run an engine with a timing chain on dino, but as we all know I am a synthetic bloke in the main.

If it only does it for a second I wouldn't worry overly, tensioner could be a bit sticky perhaps.

I tend to run synthetic in the winter for flow in my 1.9. For the past 3 years I have been topping off oil with some MMO. This has been colder than most MO winters and my Saturn quiets down and does better with cold starts with the MMO. I have 217,000 miles on my engine. It is "less refined" on cold days, but the 1.9 was never very refined if you know what I mean.

I made a different thread because mechanical wasn't the correct place to talk about oil. What is a an oil with good cold flow characterisitics?

Originally Posted By: Dakota1820
What is a an oil with good cold flow characterisitics?

That is usually referred to as "synthetic" oil...

21.gif

Is there a good dino with good cold flow? I hate paying a premium for sybthetic when the car burns the stuff even if its only a quart per 2000 miles

I would buy what is on sale. When O'Reilly's opened a lot of stores in town they had a lot of oil free after rebate. I took advantage of that. I would just get 5w-30 oil with a star burst. Just run it in winter and see if it helps your problem. I found most of the good deals posted here:

Oil deals

Remember, you are at an oil (hoarder) website.
smile.gif
If there is a good deal somewhere it is usually posted here.

Originally Posted By: Dakota1820
Is there a good dino with good cold flow? I hate paying a premium for sybthetic when the car burns the stuff even if its only a quart per 2000 miles

I ran PYB in my Saturn one winter, and it seemed to work fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back