Dumb things people say about cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
"My stock 2001 Ram 5.9L Cummins has 900ft/lb of torque from the factory". Guy I worked with told me that one.

"Well there wasn't any oil on the dipstick, that's probably not good huh?". What my brother tells me everytime he checks the oil in his Mitsubishi Lancer.

Originally Posted By: refaller
I hear people talk about their V4s all the time.

I hear this alot too lol. From a chat with someone today:

"Why heavier in the summer? I thought it was supposed to be heavier in the winter and lighter in the summer"

I bought my mom a then new '94 Ford. I dropped it off with her after a few test drives, and headed back to Austin.

Couple days later she calls up and asks about the "blue squid" in the instrument cluster. Wha?

She said it comes on in the morning when she drives it to work, but in the afternoon it isn't on. I am kind of stumped.

A little later I was at work and in the morning, a winter morning when it was still dark, I started up a Town Car, and sure enough, a blue squid (the high beam indicator). I had never paid attention to that before.....ever. Mom had her autolamps on, and never drove at night. She had no clue as to what autolamps were. Every morning the blue squid would greet her as her lights were on.

Old GM ad: "I don't know ANYTHING anout cars, and I DON'T WANT to know.... Mr. Goodwrench takes care of ME" (You bet your bleep he does - assume the position)

Last edited:
Girl I know managed to buy a brand new Chevrolet Cobalt that surprisingly did not have air conditioning as standard equipment. She asked the dealer if they could install it, so they told her to get some estimates for an aftermarket system and they will install it for her.

Overheard once when I was in college. Girl telling her guy friends that she's getting this funny smell inside her car, the windows are fogging up, and the floor is getting wet. "Oh, you'll have to get the Freon recharged, probably switch over to that R-134 stuff.".

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DBMaster
I change my oil every 3,000 miles cause I like to treat my car right.
and I run premium fuel as a treat too...LOL

Honest to goodness, I had a teacher tell me once that his Pontiac's brights symbol on the dash was an Indian chief head with feathers as an homage to Chief Pontiac. I said "No, it's not, it's a lamp with beams coming off of it!" The look on his face was freaking priceless. Kazaa!!!

In the Co. parking lot: Why are you checking your oil? - your car is new, right?
-
I dont need snow tires, I have factory all season radials!
-
Me, I dont change the oil, I guess the dealer does that if it needs it - right?!
-
I Run premium and Mobile One - my baby only gets the best!!!
-
What Oil should I use to get my car to 300,000 miles?

I know a guy that let the fluid out of his transfer case for a oil change. He poured more oil in the engine and away he went haha.

...a driver from a new car dealership once told me (while in a 1979 Ford pickup) that it had the 302HP engine in it... He always confused displacement with horsepower. Metric displacement drove him nutz...3800HP Buick Riv...lol

Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet
Originally Posted By: apwillard1986
I had an uncle that swore up and down that changing ones oil was a scam. He reasoned that oil sat in the ground for millions of years and didn’t go bad so it must not go bad in an engine. He would argue about it for hours if you let him.

Did this guy actually have any cars that ran?

Surprisingly yes. He drove what had to have been some of the toughest iron Detroit has ever stamped. When the 350 in his Caprice Wagon finally decided to give up he made some disparaging comment about what a piece of junk it was. I remember distinctly my father making a very disgusted sigh at the comment.

When that car died he had put about 75000 miles on it. Having known him I highly doubt he ever put anything but gas in it. It might have had a free oil change or two but it certainly never had one he paid for.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
In the Co. parking lot: Why are you checking your oil? - your car is new, right?
-
I dont need snow tires, I have factory all season radials!
-
Me, I dont change the oil, I guess the dealer does that if it needs it - right?!
-
I Run premium and Mobile One - my baby only gets the best!!!
-
What Oil should I use to get my car to 300,000 miles?

I check my oil at each fill up. One time in three I am asked this question... Scary!

Originally Posted By: Dave Sherman
Girl I know managed to buy a brand new Chevrolet Cobalt that surprisingly did not have air conditioning as standard equipment. She asked the dealer if they could install it, so they told her to get some estimates for an aftermarket system and they will install it for her.

Overheard once when I was in college. Girl telling her guy friends that she's getting this funny smell inside her car, the windows are fogging up, and the floor is getting wet. "Oh, you'll have to get the Freon recharged, probably switch over to that R-134 stuff.".

JC Whitney did sell aftermarket AC systems.

Student at driver improvement training:

"If you see you're going to be in a head-on collision, floor the accelerator so you can be going as fast as possible and all the damage will be done to the other car."

(I break out in a cold sweat realizing I share the road with such idiots.)

When I was in high school a friend of mines father told me you don't need to drive easy for a while till the engine warms up (winter in Chicago) because the oil pressure is higher when the engine is cold.

This Cherokee has the 4.0 V6 engine!

XYZ brand cars suck in the snow

My Subaru is great in the snow! (as it's equipped with bald tires)

I don't know how much I paid, but my payment is only $150

I worked as a pump jockey in the early 80's and I remember a lady who drove a Cadillac Seville. One day, she came in driving a new Jaguar XJ-6. "Check the oil?" I asked. No, it's a new car. This went on for a couple of months, and she finally let me check the oil. 2 qts. low. Boy, was she censored off.

The first vehicle I ever bought was a '65 GMC pickup. The previous owner told me, "Don't use that detergent oil - it gets too thin."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back