Mobil1 Engine oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Superb article. Thanks for posting. It appears to have been written before 2010?

For you VI debaters, the best graph I've seen explaining the value of high VI. Looking at this, its pretty tough to argue that higher VI is not a good thing.

This paper also eliminates some of the mysteries of base stocks and tells the real story of the evolution of Mobil1 product. Excellent resource.

This proves GrpIII baseoils are not such a bad thing. As far as Visom goes they are Grp III+.

Here in Finland you can still get the older full PAO formula in Mobil 1 Arctic 0W-40. Though the latest batches are from 2007, so the shelf-life is about to expire soon.

*What is the communication strategy?
With the exception of Germany, this reformulation will be invisible to
consumers and B2B customers.
• Claims are identical with the exception of some now obsolete or soon to
be obsolete claims
• Performance of new formulations are equivalent to current formulations
Testing is underway to provide read-across of current marketing
claims to new formulations
Review will take place of current marketing literature to ensure
accuracy of specific claims to new formulations (e.g. if we quote
actual pour point values then this would need to be updated).
• There will be no proactive customer communication relating to this
reformulation. However, an internal briefing document and Q&A has
been prepared to allow sales to respond in the unlikely event of a
customer question.
Due to the unique definition of synthetic in Germany (Synthetic = 100%
PAO) this reformulation is visible to the consumer and B2B customers.
• A more proactive communication is being prepared for German use*

^^This part seems to be deceiving to the consumer.

It is, but they probably realize the consumer has no clue about this and when they found out about Group III+ being added, they wouldn't be happy. This is despite the very small if any performance losses from using the Visom.

Yeah, but when was the first time bitogers noticed the change from full PAO to Grp III+IV+V? I mean this new stuff has been in production since 2006-2007. I think an average consumer has no idea of the basestocks used.

As we know formulations are always changing, but with my 35 years of using M1 oils I find todays M1 is is equal to or maybe better for engine longivity, engine cleaness, and the oils ability to run longer OCIs than any I have used. Like all oils M1 continues to improve.

Well the first section certainly dispels the idea that the only advantage in using Synthetic over Conventional oil is longer OCI.

After a quick skim through I think using full synth oil is warranted in most if not all situations.

I might consider changing the Maxlife from the Clio early. It really hasn't been happy the last few days with overnights temps dropping to -6oC where I live.

Not as cold as many on here experience but the Clio has been really slow the ing over since putting in the Maxlife.

Actually might do it next week, already have the filter and Mobil 1 0w40 New Life SN is only £30 for 5 litres.

Where I can tell synths perform better is when the engine is good and hot. Is this because they hold their viscosity better?

Looking at the pictures of the deposit tests, it seems the new formulations are producing a little more discoloration than the old formulas. What effect will this have in real life? Does this mean that the new Visom formulas of Mobil 1 will be more prone to varnish than the older PAO formula?

The reason I'm concerned is because I'm considering switching our vehicles to Mobil 1 because of their reputation in keeping engines really clean.

Originally Posted By: bigjl
Well the first section certainly dispels the idea that the only advantage in using Synthetic over Conventional oil is longer OCI.

Correct it has advantages in;

cold weather performance
high oil temp protection
flow

just to name a few.

That presentation causes me to want to run M1 0W-40 in everything. I may use it in the Acura once, just to see if I can perceive any difference in cranking times, accerlation, economy, over the 0W/5W-20 oils I have been using. It appears that there may be no better oil on the market in terms of sludge protection and overall engine durability.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
That presentation causes me to want to run M1 0W-40 in everything. I may use it in the Acura once, just to see if I can perceive any difference in cranking times, accerlation, economy, over the 0W/5W-20 oils I have been using. It appears that there may be no better oil on the market in terms of sludge protection and overall engine durability.

That's my take on this oil as well.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

Ditto

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I've always concluded that 15W50 and 0W40 were Mobil's top of the line oils.

Probably the AFE line too i bet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back