Acetone as fuel additive

Status
Not open for further replies.
I belong to a couple of LandCruiser forums, and I have two diesel-powered LandCruisers. Recently, someone posted a link (see below) to an article about adding acetone to the diesel fuel (and gasoline, too) to increase fuel economy. The percentages were pretty small, something like 2 oz/ 10 gallons of diesel, and 3 oz/ 10 gallons of gasoline. they claim an increase of about 10-20% fuel economy.

http://www.lubedev.com/smartgas/additive.htm

I'd like to know if there's anyone on here who has actually tried this? And if so, have you done it for a long time, or only for a tankful or two? Results?

I'm a bit concerned that acetone may damage some of the seals inside the injection pump.

Any comments/suggestions welcomed

thanks

Dana

If a little acetone (or anything, for that matter) could significantly improve mileage, I am sure that GM, Ford and other SUV manufacturers who have seen sales plummet with high fuel prices would adopt a system to have acetone in a separate 1 gallon tank, and blend it into the fuel tank in the right proportion.

The basic premise of the article is that there is a conspiracy of oil companies to suppress the use of acetone. If it really worked, there would be a "conspiracy" of SUV manufacturers trying to get the use of acetone approved.

going to try it for 5 tankfuls because the first tank showed a improvment of 1.9 mpg.(this is a 7.3 PSD ford)it was also a bit less clackity at light load.

Apparantly, propane enrichment is worthwhile on some diesels. Research it carefully... 'cuz, kaboom!
crushedcar.gif

quote:

Originally posted by k1xv:
If a little acetone (or anything, for that matter) could significantly improve mileage, I am sure that GM, Ford and other SUV manufacturers who have seen sales plummet with high fuel prices would adopt a system to have acetone in a separate 1 gallon tank, and blend it into the fuel tank in the right proportion.

The basic premise of the article is that there is a conspiracy of oil companies to suppress the use of acetone. If it really worked, there would be a "conspiracy" of SUV manufacturers trying to get the use of acetone approved.

Very well articulated ! I agree....

I love all these people that put total faith in car manufacturers and oil companies to have the best interest of the consumer at heart. There are no conspiracies needed, just typical closed minded group think. Baaaa, Baaaa
As far as the A goes, it does seem to make some difference in some applications, just it is such a strong solvent I would agree with the producers, it takes more thinking than the average user has to use or know when it might cause materials compatibility problems.

Well, what if you added something else to the acetone? Maybe mixed a few things together?
Maybe some 2 stroke oil?

I think I'll leave conspiracy theories to Jerry Fletcher. We know auto manufacturers and oil companies have their bottom line to care about.

If I look at everything on the interent about adding Acetone to gas; Then strip out the "conspiracy theories" and completely unbelievable statements I am left with some information that looks promising. I would love to see someone test Acetone in a controled environment. Maybe even MythBusters on the Discovery channel.

I tried it in two cars. First I tried 2oz for 10 gallons then 3oz. It didn't do a thing. I keep a very consistant log of mileages for every fillup. I would love to see Mythbusters to an episode on this.

Many cars now have a lot of plasic in the fuel system which may stand up to the acetone but there is another concern. The coatings on the wires and windings of the intank fuel pump almost everything has these days. Don't know if it will do damage or how long it would take at these low concentrations but just doesn't seem worth the risk.
As with most real additives I am sure it would offer some benifit in some cases and nothing in others. If it doesd provide a benifit for your car I suggest trying to find a safer alternative like FP or Neutra, both proven and safe cleaners. This is going on my asumption that any gains seen with acetone are from cleasing not atomization differences though there are safe products to help there as well.

I had a grade 10 auto teacher who was from Germany and spent time in 2nd world war.
I can remember him talking about the lack of fuel in Germany, so some German guy experiment with Acetone/water blend to power his automobile. [just old war story and don't know what kind of merit it has]

Acetone does some weird/neato things.
To take apart ignition modules sealed with hardened epoxy, I've left them in a bucket of acetone for a week. The hardness of the epoxy diminishes to a point where it can be peeled with your fingers, peeled out of its casing. The epoxy is as soft as a pencil eraser.

Even with the dilution, would this have a detrimental effect on the plastics in a fuel system?

the Ford forums has this very topic running amok. Seems like there is a 50/50 chance of acetone actually improving your mileage, but there are some inheirt risks.

Ive postd on this before. I can find the higher heating value of the fuels (the actual number that we need, LHV is less, because were not condensing out the vaporized water) and tell you right now that it is flawed thinking.

HHV Acetone: 30.9 kJ/g
HHV gasoline: 46.9 kJ/g

Density Acetone: ~0.789 g/mL
Density Gasoline: ~0.75 g/mL

So, sorry, acetone has less energy and weighs more per unit volume than gasoline. This means that per gallon burned, you will make less power than compared to a gallon of gas.

The only thing that I can guess is that the presence of the oxygenate has an effect like NOS, where it provides the extra oxygen that helps result in more power. however, we get oxygenated gas (other compounds used as oxygenate) all over the USA, and people never complain of increased MPG.

I cannot justify it thermodynamically, so there is no way im going to believe it.

JMH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back