Premature graying supplementation? -> DMAE + D

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm 36 years old. My grandmother on my dad's side was dying her hair long before 40. I did the "no shave november" and finally cleaned up to no facial hair about a week ago. I have been taking 100mg DMAE and a high dose of vitamin D (oil softgel 1250% RDA). I can tell a total difference in the amount of white weasels compared to three months ago when I stopped shaving the last time. Vitamins and compounds do not reverse aging, reverse illnesses etc, but if you are lacking in something and bring levels up where they were always supposed to be, you are rewarded with more optimum health. DMAE is in high end skin cremes; I haven't bought any of that, I was actually using it because I read it can help with mental acuteness, and I feel that my caffeine intake is just way too high (night job). Again, YMMV if you are missing nothing chances are you will not see improvements. I'm not selling anything, D and DMAE are inexpensive. DMAE is in capsule form in all kinds of doses from all kinds of distributors at 50-100-250-350mg, some with other things inside too.

I know on a car maintenance forum this post might be out of place, but our discussions and especially member signatures show how meticulous we are about our trucks and cars. We can sell those and get new ones. We are stuck with our bodies. Also, you are as young as you feel. One less wrinkle or a few less white hairs despite all the other ones does make you feel younger lol.

My barber found my first grey hair at age 22. I'm 35 now, all salt and pepper. I've never felt threatened by it. It isn't really detrimental to a man's societal standing to have grey or white hair. Sadly, though, it does have a detrimental effect on a woman's image.

My wife heckles me from time to time about my grey hair, she is older than me and she has virtually none. I just tell her my grey hairs were all caused by her, even though they started showing up a year or two before I met her!

I used to be pretty anti-vitamin and pro eating what you need to get what you need, but times have changed for me and I'm neither as active as I used to be, nor do I eat as healthy or completely as I should (mostly in colder months, but throughout the year, as well.) I'm still very active, so my diet is really where I'm suffering, but 12+ hour shift with no lunch break (I'll usually sneak bin a Kashi breakfast bar or bowl of oatmeal if I can) usually means I'm starving and tired by the end of the shift. It's very easy to justify that Taco Bell burrito, especially since my low overall caloric-intake:calories-burned ratio has actually resulted in me weighing less.

Not being obese doesn't make me feel healthy. On the contrary, I feel worse than when I eat healthy regularly. To compensate, I've experimented with vitamins, taking half of one each day, as well as a vitamin D supplement. I'm a born cynic and expected no change (other than brighter urine,) because I never noticed any benefit in my early 20's (when I was eating VERY healthy and working out regularly,) but I'll be darned if the supplements haven't helped!

I didn't realize it until after I started taking the D supplement, but I get S.A.D. In the darker months, especially when work precludes much sun exposure.

I still don't believe in taking these giant horse pills every day, but have definitely proven to myself that half a vitamin every couple of days makes me feel better. It could very well be a placebo affect, but I'll take it!

I was also recently (within the past year) told by my Dr. That I have low Fe, after two consecutive tests. I believe the multi-vit has helped there, too, with regard to energy levels and overal feeling of wellness.

YMMV

I was getting some gray (I'm 43),but have noticed its going away. Maybe stress or something was bringing it on. BUT,I have all my hair,so it can go as gray as it wants
smile.gif

Using a premium shampoo and conditioner is important to the health of your hair as well. My favorite is Paul Mitchell Awapuhi. I've been using it since I was 15 or so. I had a friend who worked in a salon and she said cheap shampoo can cause hair loss and/or breakage.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Just be thankful you still have hair to worry about!

+ 1 from a mam who is hair challenged, and remember:

If you lose your hair in the front your a thinker.
If you lose your hair in the back your a lover.
If you lose your hair in the front and back you think your a lover.

Originally Posted By: getnpsi
I know on a car maintenance forum this post might be out of place,
No it's not,that's why this section is called "off-topic"

Ehhhh, I resemble that. I had a receding hair line at 16. I am now back to white at 61. I just keep what little remains short now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back