2013 6.7 Powerstroke 10w30 or 15w-40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My new F350 is on its way. I have not even received the truck yet and I am already thinking about the oil. According to Ford they recommend 10w-30 which is FF but you can use 15w-40 for severe service or if you use a lot of B20 (I will not) .

So I live in Florida and play mostly in the southeast (GA, NC, SC). I will tow a 5er about 15% of the time otherwise it will be my DD. I commute around 20-25 miles 1 way. So I am looking for brand and weight recommendations (mostly weight)

Cheers!

We run 10w30 in our 6.7Ls and 6.4Ls here. The trucks are F550s and pulling 90% of the time and UOAs on rotella T 10w30 (not T5) have come back good. It helps a lot in the colder weather and the trucks just seem to start and run better on the 10w30. Id have no problem using the 10w30 in FL and you might be warm enough for a 15w40, but in any case id use a 5w40 instead of the 15w40. Also, a HDEO 10w30 is still thinner than a 5w40 at start up temps.

My recommendations are as follows:
Motorcraft HDEO 10w30 ( I see it here all the tame for $3.49/qt at the farm store)
Rotella T5 10w30
Rotella T6 5w40
Delo 5w40

Nothing wrong with the 10w30 could be used year around,after your warranty is up 10w30 or a 5w40 is all that engine will need.

Wow I am surprised almost everyone seems to agree on 10w30. I would have thought that 15w-40 would have been more popular.

panthermike -- I am selling the Ecoboost now. If I could afford 2 trucks I would keep it, but economy says no.

You need to view this from a pragmatic perspective.

Oils are asked to do many tasks:
1) lubricate; reduce friction/contact wear
2) cool via thermal transfer
3) clean/maintain cleanliness
4) assist in efficiency via reduced pumping loss

While the 6.7LPSD is fairly new, I've not seen any evidence of major wear factors so far in UOA evidence. I think it may be too soon to speak of sludge issues, as there may not be enough data yet one way or another.

In FL, there is no need for synthetics unless you're going to greatly extend your OCIs well past the OEM spec, or unless you plan to venture far, far north in the cold of winter.

Any decent 10w-30 dino HDEO (there are several, but are often hard to come by at times) will do a great job, even when towing.

There is nothing "wrong" with using a 15w-40, but it will have an effect on your fuel economy. Since you only plan to tow occasionally, the benefit of lighter grade for daily driving would outweigh any perceived risk of the towing issues.

I would suggest any major brand of 10w-30 HDEO you can find at the best cost that makes you happy. T5 is an excellent choice because it is widely available at nearly any WallyWorld for a good price. But if you can find/negotiate for 10w-30 HDEO dino at your favorite autoparts store, I'd not turn away from that option either.

I personally have used Rotella TP dino 10w-30 for a few years now and had excellent protection and service from it year round; cold IN winters and heat-soaked travel-trailer trips in the Southwest not withstanding.

I'll add my 10W30 recommendation. I've used 10W30 HDEO for most of the 26 years I've owned my '86 F250 6.9L diesel... the Great-Great Grandfather to your 6.7L. That's rather an apples to oranges recommendation, given the difference in technology between the two engines, but at one point, 10W30 was the base recommendation for the 6.9L. Based on all I've seen, 10W30 is suitable for many, if not most, modern light truck diesels and even some HD diesels. 10W30 in diesels is a bit counter-culture at the moment, with everyone fixated on 15W40, but it's growing in acceptance and popularity. Plus... it's factory recommended.

Last edited:
I'll agree with the majority here, 10w-30. I have been using it in my 6.0 for roughly 90,000 trouble-free miles without issue, and very respectable UOA's.

I, like Jim, also use 10w-30 in my '89 IDI 7.3.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
You need to view this from a pragmatic perspective.

Oils are asked to do many tasks:
1) lubricate; reduce friction/contact wear
2) cool via thermal transfer
3) clean/maintain cleanliness
4) assist in efficiency via reduced pumping loss

While the 6.7LPSD is fairly new, I've not seen any evidence of major wear factors so far in UOA evidence. I think it may be too soon to speak of sludge issues, as there may not be enough data yet one way or another.

In FL, there is no need for synthetics unless you're going to greatly extend your OCIs well past the OEM spec, or unless you plan to venture far, far north in the cold of winter.

Any decent 10w-30 dino HDEO (there are several, but are often hard to come by at times) will do a great job, even when towing.

There is nothing "wrong" with using a 15w-40, but it will have an effect on your fuel economy. Since you only plan to tow occasionally, the benefit of lighter grade for daily driving would outweigh any perceived risk of the towing issues.

I would suggest any major brand of 10w-30 HDEO you can find at the best cost that makes you happy. T5 is an excellent choice because it is widely available at nearly any WallyWorld for a good price. But if you can find/negotiate for 10w-30 HDEO dino at your favorite autoparts store, I'd not turn away from that option either.

I personally have used Rotella TP dino 10w-30 for a few years now and had excellent protection and service from it year round; cold IN winters and heat-soaked travel-trailer trips in the Southwest not withstanding.

Most of our fleet 6.4s and 6.7s run the 10w30 TP and the oldest 6.4 has over 100k of strictly pulling and havent had a problem yet. I wont get into the OCI and lube management because no matter what I've tried, 3-5k is it because it is "cheap insurance", I could easily reduce our lube cost by 50% but I'm not in change of maintenance, just DOT compliance.

10W-30 is what Ford recommended to my fiance when she bought her 2003 Superduty 6.0 new and is what she has run the entire time. She runs Motorcraft diesel oil with 5,000 mile/one year intervels and the truck runs good and uses no oil.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back