94 Dodge Ram won't start all the time

Status
Not open for further replies.
so my friends Dodge Ram decided to stop working on the highway it doesn't have fuel pressure or spark but it will randomly start and then die or if you touch the gas pedal it'll die when it does start up an idle on its own I was thinking that maybe it was the crankshaft positioning sensor but I have not looked too much into it. there is no engine light and nothing is obviously wrong it is a 94 Ram with a 5.2 any help is greatly appreciated thanks guys

Could easily be the fuel pump, check the pressure at the rail. Should be 45 ish IIRC. I had a dakota 3.9 that era that would actually run on 5 PSI, I couldn't believe it either. Was fluttering all over the place.

if it has no inj pulse or spark look at CPS. common problem on 5.2 engine, chryslers for that matter in general

Could the cps act weird lime itll start amd run 20 seconds then die or idle until the gas pedal is touched then it die.? And about 70% of the time it wont even start. Where is the cps on that truck?

I wish I could offer some relief. As my buddy Ed(RIP) had a '97 that was a poor ownership experience. 5.9 V8 gas RAM 2500 4WD.

Ed used this RAM as his only car and I did most of the maintenance including OCI's and changing the ATF-3/4 and filter/screen annually to avoid tranny issues...Yeah Right!

Ed drove like the old man that he was and just liked driving a truck...Ed replaced:

Computer

Fuel Pump/Float Assmbly

3 Trannys

Burned oil like crazy...adding oil weekly

Major susspension parts replaced

Sloppy steering

Loss of power, had to replace the Catalitic Converter due to the burning oil(high zinc)

Poor design under the the hood for air filter replacement and distributor cap.

Wires drooped and rested on the exhaust manifold causing short(easy fix)

The solenoid that allows the TC to go into 4WD got replaced 3-4 times...I think that's what it's called, IDK!

And too many other thing to remember but, this RAM was in the shop all the time. Nice lookin' truck and decent to drive and I sure hope they're better today. I hear not!

Ed passed away in '05 and the truck was 8yrs old & had 115K miles and 3 trannys.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back