Can't remove trans drain plug on 2001 Chevy Tahoe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought 5 quarts of ATF, the filter kit, and other stuff to drop the trans pan to change the filter and fluid this weekend. Couldn't get the trans drain plug off. Used a 6 point socket, 1/2 inch drive, blow torch, and a 10 foot breaker bar. No luck. Ended rounding off the bolt (bolt seemed really soft). From what I've read online it's a common problem as GM over torqued the [censored] out of the drain plug from the factory. Since so many people were having issues with the drain plug, GM doesn't have the drain plug on the trans pan anymore.

I was just going to buy a new OEM trans pan, but GM doesn't make them with the drain plug anymore.

My question is, any ideas how to get the drain plug out?

I usually use a 1/2 inch impact gun to get those off. Now, since the bolt is rounded... just forget it's there and drop the pan to drain the fluid, or go with the aftermarket pan like Critic said.

Originally Posted By: jkhawaii
I usually use a 1/2 inch impact gun to get those off. Now, since the bolt is rounded... just forget it's there and drop the pan to drain the fluid, or go with the aftermarket pan like Critic said.

I was thinking of welding a socket to the drain plug or possibly using JB Weld and using my impact gun to get it out. Think that would work or am I wasting my time?

Try one of these external removers. You can get a cheap set from AA or Sears. These things are a life saver.
Once you have the tool you have a few choices.

Use an impact
Use a Hand impact with a hammer
Use a old box wrench and give the wrench a good quick slap with hammer

I normally use option 3 first, most of the time it takes them right out.

http://www.irwin.com/tools/browse/screw-bolt-extractors/bolt-extractors

The repeated hammer blows from a big-[censored] air tool with the Sears or Irwin type socket should work. A hand held hammer is not as effective. You need to get lots of torque many times from a heavy duty tool. Go to shop that has one.

You are not serious about JB Weld, are you?

Last edited:
are those drain pan oil plugs/bolts sold separately? It's been a while since I even looked at one of those vehicles. I would just leave it alone already. like I said, pretend there is no drain plug.

are those drain pan oil plugs/bolts sold separately? It's been a while since I even looked at one of those vehicles. I would just leave it alone already. like I said, pretend there is no drain plug.

Yes. I have a new one coming tomorrow. I can drop the pan but then the job is a lot more messy.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Try one of these external removers. You can get a cheap set from AA or Sears. These things are a life saver.
Once you have the tool you have a few choices.

Use an impact
Use a Hand impact with a hammer
Use a old box wrench and give the wrench a good quick slap with hammer

I normally use option 3 first, most of the time it takes them right out.

http://www.irwin.com/tools/browse/screw-bolt-extractors/bolt-extractors

I was actually looking at the Craftsman Bolt-Out kit. I was planning on picking one up. My only concern is how soft the metal on the drain plug is. Will that effect the Bolt-Out kit?

Originally Posted By: KeithKman

I was thinking of welding a socket to the drain plug or possibly using JB Weld and using my impact gun to get it out. Think that would work or am I wasting my time?

Exactly what I did. I tack welded an old socket on then finished and cleaned it up once it was off. I just left it on. Plan was to drain pan every 10K and slowly swap the fluid. Nowhere to 4 wheel around here so the added inch or so of socket never got whacked.

Last edited:
The soft bolt is no problem. It will cut into the metal.
You may need to hammer a smaller size on though seeing as its already damaged.
Don't worry about damaging these things they are really tough.

Originally Posted By: KeithKman

If you put a socket over the rounded off bolt, where is the weld going to go?

I would weld another bolt on top of the rounded bolt, thread side to rounded bolt. That way you can weld a bead round it. Then use an impact!

I had the same problem with my 2002 Chevy Silverado 5.3. Could not remove the drain bolt so I removed the bolts around the Tranny pan and took it to the dealer. I spoke to the service manager and he allowed me to walk back to the mechanics area. I spoke to a mechanic and he said that even they had problems removing them and what they used was an air hammer with a chisel. He got the air hammer with a sharp chisel and removed it. I bought a second transmission pan bolt and put it on but not tight....

P.S removing the pan without draining caused tranny oil to drain on my arms, back, and head...Was not fun

Originally Posted By: Gito

P.S removing the pan without draining caused tranny oil to drain on my arms, back, and head...Was not fun

Lower one corner of pan first and let it drain from that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Gito

The BITOG Shower.

Used the sears brand bolt-out tools on my 03. 2 foot breaker bar and off it came. I got a new plug from the dealer just in case. Insure you put some vasoline in the plugs sealing rubber before you reinstall it. 15 foot pound torque is fine at reinstall.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: WINO
Used the sears brand bolt-out tools on my 03. 2 foot breaker bar and off it came. I got a new plug from the dealer just in case. Insure you put some vasoline in the plugs sealing rubber before you reinstall it. 15 foot pound torque is fine at reinstall.

Awesome to hear. I just picked up a Craftsman Bolt-Out kit. Figured it would be great to have in the toolbox anyways. My new drain plug came in the mail today.

Thanks everyone for the input. I probably won't be able to tackle this project until Saturday morning. Too busy during the week. The plan is to use the Bolt-Out kit with my air impact gun. If that fails my coworkers husband said I could swing by and he would weld on a bolt and socket to the drain plug.

I'll update this weekend what ends up happening/hopefully working.

Last edited:
Well bad news. The Bolt-Out kit didn't work with my impact gun. The bolt overpowered the impact gun it's on their so tight. I tried a breaker bar but I could see the whole pan flexing and the bolt-out lost grip.

I honestly have never seen a bolt on this tight before. I'm going to take my Tahoe to a local transmission place that has really good reviews and see what they think.

If worst comes to worse, my last plan of attack is to drop the pan, and drill out the drain plug bolt.

Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back