2013 Elantra oil advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife and I purchased a 2013 Elantra not to long ago and it has had two oil changes thus far from the dealership. I'm usually a guy that likes to do maintenance I can handle on my own and want to start taking over the oil changes on the new car. I've always been a fan of synthetic oil and have used nothing but Mobil 1 on my older Integra, which sadly I'm selling here soon. I'm curious what else is out there that people would suggest, possibly better than Mobil 1.

Car: 2013 Elantra, automatic

Owners Manual: API grades SM/ILSAC grade GF-4 or above. Use SAE 5W-20/30, or 10W-30 if normal temps are above 0 degrees F.

Residence: Phoenix, AZ....so its hot during summers.

Daily Driving: 90% city driving, about 35 miles daily.

Preferences: like I said synthetic. I can order online or in store, doesn't matter. Price wise isn't an a huge issue, just nothing crazy expensive. Synthetic oil changes at the dealership would be pricey more than likely (think $70) and I can go with longer oil change intervals. Also believe that spending in quality products will prevent future issues.

Thanks in advance,

Vince

I use 5w20 dino in my Kia which has the Theta 2.4 engine from parent company Hyundai. 5w20 allows me to buy one oil type for both my car and my gf's car. I have used 5w30 for at least 4 or 5 OCIs in the past and it's fine also.

I'd probably lean more towards the 30 wts in Phoenix. M1 5w30 is a good choice.

Last edited:
welcome2.gif

10 yr or 100,000 warranty. You fall under severe service so that means a max of 3,750 (it may be up to 5000 or 5 months) miles IIRC so make sure you keep accurate records reflecting what NEEDS to be done.

Oil. ANY 5w-30 API rated. Conventional (which is a blend these days) will provide just as much protection as the "syn" oils like Mobil 1, Pennzoil Platinum and such (mostly G3 these days) in the short OCI you HAVE to follow.

Filters. Use the factory Hyundai ones as they are excellent and lower cost. Plus this action has a paper trail so if something happens one less thing they can try to play with.

Welcome again and enjoy the site!

Bill

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

Filters. Use the factory Hyundai ones as they are excellent and lower cost. Plus this action has a paper trail so if something happens one less thing they can try to play with.

Forgot to mention this. Definitely use the Hyundai filters. I haven't found any other filter that is as quiet on startup as the factory filter on my Kia. Kia and Hyundai use the same part number. I've been getting them for about $4 a piece on the Internet.

I'm running the factory filter and m1 5w 20 and pennzoil platinum from my stash. In the summer i will run a mobil 0w 30. Keep receipts.

Originally Posted By: randomhero439
Pennzoil Ultra 10w-30 every 7500 with factory filter.

Wrong. Severe service under warrenty requirements = 3750 miles. Any brand name conventional 5w-20 should be more than adequate, even in Pheonix (If you just cannot stand the thought of that "thin" of an oil, go 5w-30). If you must go Synthetic, Pennzoil Platinum. Just know that with those short OCI's, it will not benefit you to use a synthetic. AS posted earlier, Hyundai filters.

Originally Posted By: Propflux01
Originally Posted By: randomhero439
Pennzoil Ultra 10w-30 every 7500 with factory filter.

Wrong. Severe service under warrenty requirements = 3750 miles. Any brand name conventional 5w-20 should be more than adequate, even in Pheonix (If you just cannot stand the thought of that "thin" of an oil, go 5w-30). If you must go Synthetic, Pennzoil Platinum. Just know that with those short OCI's, it will not benefit you to use a synthetic. AS posted earlier, Hyundai filters.

Didnt know dealerships could track whether the car is severe or normal service. The car is not specified for a synthetic which means that those OCI are designed for a conventional or synthetic blend oil. A high quality synthetic could double that mileage and keep the engine cleaner than a conventional, at the same time.

My suggestion still stands. 7,500/1 year on a high quality synthetic or 3750/6 months on a conventional or synthetic blend.

They can. It's called a computer which keeps track of the last few cycles (in fact quite a few)

I agree with the FACT that using conventional for the 3750 is going to be better than syn every 7500. Esp in something short tripped.

Sometimes changing the oil is a good thing. And being honest is another good thing.

Bill

A synthetic is not necessarily going to clean any better that a conventional brand name Dino. It is the base stock that lends superiority over a standard Dino.

I suppose I could do away with the synthetic oil, though I love the idea of it! haha

What about Motorcraft 5W-20? I keep seeing it mentioned on the site.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ruby2013Elantra
I suppose I could do away with the synthetic oil, though I love the idea of it! haha

High quality product!! And the price is right too, if it were me I would lean more toward a 5/30 because of where you live....
I would look more toward QSGB for its better wear protection. CS is another choice if you can get it.

I use Quaker State 10W-20 in my 2013 Hyundai Sonata (non-turbo engine) with 3750 OCI. I figure on 4 oil changes/yr with my driving. The difference in cost for 5 qts. oil between QS conventional and QS synthetic is about $6.33 at Wal-Mart, so using the synthetic costs me about $25 extra/yr. I know conventional would work fine, but I'm splurging on the synthetic for my new car. I use the Hyundai OEM filters too.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Oldasco
I use Quaker State 10W-20 in my 2013 Hyundai Sonata (non-turbo engine) with 3750 OCI. I figure on 4 oil changes/yr with my driving. The difference in cost for 5 qts. oil between QS conventional and QS synthetic is about $6.33 at Wal-Mart, so using the synthetic costs me about $25 extra/yr. I know conventional would work fine, but I'm splurging on the synthetic for my new car. I use the Hyundai OEM filters too.

No such thing as 10W-20. If you use 10W-30, you are outside warranty requirements. If you use 5W-20, good to go.

Originally Posted By: Ruby2013Elantra

Motorcraft 5W-20 is a fine oil.
I use PP 5W-20 with Hyundai filter for my 2013 Sonata 2.4L on a 3,750 mile OCI as per Canadian Hyundai manual which puts everything in Canada into severe service. Dino would do as well, but I use synthetic because the cost premium is minimal. I added substantially to my stash with the Walmart Boxing Day deal - 5 quarts for $19.88 for PP 5W-20/30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back