Anybody ever prime diesel filters with ATF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody ever use automatic transmission fluid to prime diesel fuel filters?

I picked up the habit when I worked at a Ryder diesel shop in Michigan. I used to have a 6.9 IDIaT Ford, I always used ATF from a sealed bottle to prime the filter, never had trouble getting it started afterwards, never had injector troubles, probably cleaned the fuel system a little too, as most of it is returned to the tank at idle speeds. Reasoning at the Ryder shop was that ATF "suctioned" easier than diesel, and was less likely to have microscopic debris in it.

Most other places I worked at just used pump diesel to prime the filter, injector failures seemed to occur right after a truck had been serviced. One place did have a shiny 20 gallon tank that supposedly contained specially filtered fuel for priming, but it always seemed to me like too big of an opportunity for contamination.

Originally Posted By: Cardenio327
Anybody ever use automatic transmission fluid to prime diesel fuel filters?

I picked up the habit when I worked at a Ryder diesel shop in Michigan. I used to have a 6.9 IDIaT Ford, I always used ATF from a sealed bottle to prime the filter, never had trouble getting it started afterwards, never had injector troubles, probably cleaned the fuel system a little too, as most of it is returned to the tank at idle speeds. Reasoning at the Ryder shop was that ATF "suctioned" easier than diesel, and was less likely to have microscopic debris in it.

Most other places I worked at just used pump diesel to prime the filter, injector failures seemed to occur right after a truck had been serviced. One place did have a shiny 20 gallon tank that supposedly contained specially filtered fuel for priming, but it always seemed to me like too big of an opportunity for contamination.

Interesting observation. How about 2 cycle oil? I add that to the diesel fuel in my Cummins routinely.

I never thought of that at the time. 2 cycle oil would probably have been much better than ATF.

Prior to that I used to add 2 stroke oil to the fuel in a '72 Intertrashable 392 I had in an attempt to make up for using unleaded instead of leaded.

The ATF is what I was tought. I asked about it on a Diesel Forum and got called names. They were split between fuel and an addative like Poweer service.

I have used Power service ever since,

Prior to that I used to add 2 stroke oil to the fuel in a '72 Intertrashable 392 I had in an attempt to make up for using unleaded instead of leaded.
That 392 came from the factory with pressed in hard seats and Sodium filled exhaust valves. No need for addatives in those.

Originally Posted By: Chris142

That 392 came from the factory with pressed in hard seats and Sodium filled exhaust valves. No need for addatives in those.

I was 18 at the time and I didn't have half a clue. It would have ruined the valve seats with or without additives if it hadn't of had hardened seats. I also used 20w50 in it and starting it in the dead of winter was a whole rigamarole. I should have used SAE 30 in it like my Dad taught me, but I was a teenager and knew everything!

I have used that in my Mercedes.

However Lubro Moly Diesel purge is designed to be operated neat, and IMO is a far better filler, as it does a great job cleaning too...

Chris142, you beat me by a year twice. My first combine was a '72 1210 4x4 392 extra cooling factory 5 spd. The second barnyard Buick was an '86 F-250 6.9 ATS Turbo C6 4x2.

I use cheap a 3/8 plastic inline fuel filter and shove one end of the hose into the bottom of a funnel that is tight enough that it doesn't leak when I pour in fuel.

Last edited:
I would not prime a modern high pressure common rail diesel with straight ATF or Power Service due to the increased visousity and pressures involved. On an older system no problem. I seem to remember a few people who would use straight PS on the older systems as a way of cleaning up everything during the filter change.

I've never primed fuel filters, just fit and bleed with the lift pump or prime pump on the filter or pump body. Sounds like you are complicating something simple.

+1 silk

Also, when priming the normal way, fuel flows in the correct direction, so any dirt stays on the dirty side

I normally pour some of the diesel from the old filter into the new one and top off with Redex.

Never noticed any problems other than with my Volvo but that is because it has neither a lift pump or a hand primer.

Oh, the joy!

You have to buy one from Sealey which is not as good as the ones normally fitted to a vehicle or indeed the PSA version of my engine as they fit a hand primer.

On my VW, when I do a fuel filter I'm also doing an oil change. And when I do an oil change I'm using one of those vacuum extractors through the dipstick. I first pull the oil out, and do the oil change. Then I will change the fuel filter. It's not even a close fit, but the quarter-inch extractor line is the same size as the quarter inch fuel filter outlet. I just change the filter, hook up all but the outlet line, then hold the extractor to the outlet of the fuel filter. It's normal for TDI to have jet black oil, so, I just watch the extractor line. When it turns clean, the filter is primed.

Not sure why one couldn't just draw some fuel from the tank using any sort of vacuum pump?

Originally Posted By: Silk
I've never primed fuel filters, just fit and bleed with the lift pump or prime pump on the filter or pump body. Sounds like you are complicating something simple.

The cost cutters and bean counters worked their magic on the Navistar IDI engine used in these trucks. No hand pump. Proper method is to strew rags all over the intake manifold and glow plug harness, put on gloves, goggles, &c., and turn the engine over with a remote starter switch until fuel sprays all over from a bicycle tire valve stem mounted in a fuel line. I suppose a Mitivac would work pretty good now a days, but back then the dealerships were probably the only ones that had them.

With any LD Diesel made after 2003 or so you are asking for trouble. On a 6.9/7.3 IDI or a 12V have at it.

I have never primed a diesel fuel filter, just screw it on and crank or pump depending on the engine.

This practice in a modern diesel would probably lead to problems...I don't think a late model VW or Mercedes would do well with a slug of ATF getting sucked in.

Last edited:
Why would anyone use ATF? I've used diesel to prime a diesel filter, just like I use oil to prime an oil filter. I see no reason to use ATF; diesel is a ready a lubricant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back