"Sea Foam " vs. Techron vs. Regaine

Status
Not open for further replies.
My '99 Montana is coming up on 90,000 miles. I have always used high quality gasoline ( Shell, Mobil, Texaco) and have been a stickler for 3,000 mile OCI's ( this is the "Mom Mobile" and she uses it for non-highway short haul trips 90% of the time). It gets injector cleaner at every OC and a fresh PCV valve every year. I put in a K&N last year.

I have been thinking that "The Blue Bomber" may benefit from either Sea Foam or Chevron Techron Fuel System Cleaner. (Auto Rx may be overdoing it b/c I dont think that there is any fatal sludging ).

Is there any clear advantage to using Sea Foam [crankcase and fuel tank ]vs. Techron? Would using either be "overdoing" it considering that it is running pretty well. I would like to get 200.000 out of it if I can.

Personally, I think the Techron is the best product for injector cleaner. This is based on using Techron, Sea Foam, B-12, Super Tech, STP and other cleaners. (I've never used Regaine.)

I'd skip the seafoam. If I remember the igredient list didn't sound like a good fuel system cleaner. TECHRON and regane seem to get good reviews around here. FP works great for me.

Never tried Techron, but I did try Seafoam very recently and I was very pleased with the results. Peformance improved, gas mileage went up at least 2 mpg and the engine is running very smooth.

I put one can in the oil and two in the gas tank and ran it almost till I ran out of gas. Changed the oil and put in a mix of Redline, Mobil 1 and Rotella T and a Pure One filter.

I've tried Chemtool and several of the house brand injector cleaners over the years and nothing was as dramatic as the Seafoam. I've also tried Lucas fuel treatment. I heard about Seafoam here at BITOG and I'm gald I did. My only complaint is that it's dam expensive.

I keep reading about Lube Control and Neutra and I will definitely try both of them, but it would be alot easier if I could just walk into a store and buy them. Lube Control is first on the "to try" list because it's so economical to use.

Sorry, I'm not a fan of adding Seafoam to the gas tank as a cleaner in fuel injector systems. From previous discussions here, Seafoam is basically lite mineral oil, naptha & isopropyl alcohol.

It is good for removing varnish & gum deposits typically found in carburetors, but probably the best use nowdays is in lawn & garden equipment.

The basic ingredient in Techron is polyether amine, a strong solvent, and has proven to be very effective at removing the hard deposits found on injector tips, intake valves and in the combustion chamber.

The detergent adds used in the new Top Tier gas formulations are based on the Chevron polyether amine technology - not on the Seafoam & Marvel Mystery oils typically used in 60's & 70's era automobiles.

Months back I looked into Seafoam's components via its MSDS. I forget exactly what they were, but they're simple solvents similar to Marvel Mystery Oil and some others, stuff like mineral oil and paint thinner ("mineral spirits" for those who like $10 words). Products like Techron and Regaine, on the other hand, have more sophisticated, modern detergents, as Blue99 has pointed out.

Using seafoam through a vacuum line is far superior in cleaning intake valves and combustion chambers than Techron or Regane through the fuel tank. Seafoam through the PCV system or similar vacuum line works two ways:

#1 Thermal Shock. The cold seafoam hitting the hot carbon causes it to quickly contract and release it's kung fu grip on the metal.

#2 Solvency....do I have to explain it?

Where do you guys find Regaine!!! I have been looking for months and no one not AZ,Walmart,K-Mart,Advanced,TSC, Carquaet or Meijers have the stuff.

quote:

Originally posted by JohnBrowning:
Where do you guys find Regaine!!! I have been looking for months and no one not AZ,Walmart,K-Mart,Advanced,TSC, Carquaet or Meijers have the stuff.

Wal-Mart should have it. Look for the yellow stuff in the clear Gumout bottle.

-

Most injector units today are self cleaning.

Change the fuel filter instead.

DarkDan's advice is 100% correct again.

Add SeaFoam through vac line to decarbonize combustion chambers.

Don't Monatana's have 3.8's, right?

Change plugs with $2 Bosch Plats afterwards and the MomMobile with be run great.

quote:

Originally posted by darkdan:
Using seafoam through a vacuum line is far superior in cleaning intake valves and combustion chambers than Techron or Regane through the fuel tank. Seafoam through the PCV system or similar vacuum line works two ways:

#1 Thermal Shock. The cold seafoam hitting the hot carbon causes it to quickly contract and release it's kung fu grip on the metal.

#2 Solvency....do I have to explain it?

Could I just put Seafoam into a spray can and spray it into my throttle body directly? I did this with water and it worked.

The '99 Montana has the 3400 ( 3.4) with SFI. I already changed out the OEM plugs for Bosch +2's

I would have no idea how to do a "Sea Foam Infusion" through the vacuum hoses ( correction : I bet that I couldn't even FIND the vacuum hoses ). This engine is packed in so tight and the firewall is so far back that it is a NIGHTMARE to do anything with except change to PCV valve).

I think that I will use Techron or Regane, and Valvoline Throttle Body Cleaner and hope for the best.

First of all, like John Browning, I can't find Regane anywhere! I see all other Gumout products, though!

Two people who I know have just recently used Sea Foam on their oil-guzzling Audis (2.8 V6) with success! Both used the brake booster hose to get the Sea Foam in, and both added some to the crankcase. Oil consumption in both cars has dropped dramatically. One has gone 2k miles without noticeable consumption, while it consumed 1 quart every 1k miles before he used Sea Foam!

Storm - seafoam already comes in a spray can. It's called "Deep Creep." It works great! It comes with the little red plastic tube you can attach to the sprayer and shot it anywhere. I have had very good results with Seafoam. Used it on an old Case tractor and that bugger is running like new now. Used it in my '96 GMC truck, (one can to the gas tank), and all hesitation is gone.

I also used it on my daughter's 95 Saturn SC1 - took off the PCV line, cranked up the motor, and used the "suction" to suck up the Seafoam right out of the can. I had to get a longer hose, (took the fuel line off my lawn mower), and then held the hose slightly above the liquid Seafoam. That way, as soon as the motor started to "load up" I could move the hose away from the liquid so that I didn't inject too much and hurt the motor. Did this for about 20 minutes. Lots of white smoke out of the tail pipe. Little car runs like a trooper now and oil consumption is less, although it still burns some.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back