Dye transferred from jeans to cloth seats

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a Light Camel colored interior on my Explorer, and the dye from my dark colored jeans has stained my cloth seats. Just wondering what I can do to fix this? Thanks!

Ouch. Crocking can be very difficult to remove as anything that moves one dye can easily move another.

I have had success with blue jean dye on a sofa by using a pretty strong cleaner (high Ph) with white rags to observe what I was getting.

Very tricky, be cautious!

Is the interior cloth or leather? Dealership parts departments used to sell interior cleaners that were pretty strong stuff. Perhaps they still do?

That was always my biggest fear when in a car with a tan or light colored interior... Can't help you though, I've never first hand had the problem. (Most of my cars interiors have been dark or black)

Thanks for the input - I sorted it out and it worked perfect!

I used a German product called Vanish for this, poured some of it in a spray bottle and diluted it with a very small amount of water. Blasted the seat and rubbed it off with a white cloth. This stuff is so strong, it even turned my hands white and I can't wash it off now. White cloth turned blue.

Then I took my pressure washer and blasted the daylights out of the seat. Followed this up with my wet/dry vacuum and now I've left it to dry. Worked a charm, but my hands aren't very happy.

Personally I'd go and just buy black seat covers for the entire car and go nuts.

I use my Fit for mild off road use to go hunting and hiking, and seat covers are the only way to go.

The only product that I use on seats is AutoGLYM interior shampoo. I always keep a bottle handy in case my daughter has a mishap in the car or mud soaks through a seat cover.

I think you're doomed though. Jean dye is pretty severe I'd guess. Well, at least the virginity stage of your car is out of the way and you can start to enjoy the car for it's intended purpose now!

The only time I've had due transfer is on light colored leather. I got some terry cloth towels of the exact same color and put them on the seats. Problem solved.

i had the exact same issue with light colored tan leather seats. Ended up at a pro shop to have the stains removed and leather repaired. I was starting to damage the leather and decided to let the pro do it, Cost was 125.

I always used Woolite mixed with water and a soft scrub brush for white or light colored leather with jean stains, never failed me. If they were extreme then a sopping wet (with the solution) Mr. Clean sponge was used VERY lightly as it is abrasive.

One part Woolite to six parts water for severe stains/cleaning.
One part Woolite to eight parts water for moderate cleaning.
On part Woolite to ten parts water for light cleaning.

I had several clients who were allergic to drastic chemical cleaning solutions and this did the job and solved their problem.
At one time it was in the Cadillac owner's manual....don't know if it still is or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back