Redline D4, a good mix with Maxlife?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As to the car in my sig. Anybody liking the Redline D4, or does anyone else use it?

Of note, I hear the Maxlife AND Redline D4 are very thin... Does that matter?

This is how my ATF came out at its last drain/fill, 5 days ago. I changed out one gallon, replaced it with Redline D4.. My first three one-gallon exchanges (drain/fill) were with maxlife Dex/Merc.

Why would mix transmission fluids. The red line stuff is pretty pricey. How's that timing belt change coming.
Apparently your not on vacation anymore, what did you do to get a break from the forum?

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Why would mix transmission fluids. The red line stuff is pretty pricey. How's that timing belt change coming.
Apparently your not on vacation anymore, what did you do to get a break from the forum?

As to the second sentence, I'd like to leave that in last year. Thanks. And, Happy New Year! Cheers
cheers3.gif

As to mixing fluids.. The first thing I have to mention is that the drain/fill method seems "safest." I speculate that, even doing it 3 times prior, I probably got between 50%-7-% of the fluid.. A nice, safe margin, seeing how that other stuff looked. (And one fill I actually changed out closer to TWO quarts, driving it around the block a few times, instead of a few hundred miles.. I doubt that it can mix as thoroughly as many many hours and miles of letting it get through the TC. Still, though, I did.. so maybe closer to 60%..) I have a desire to really use as good stuff, albeit without using ALL the super-expensive Redline. Their oils seem attractive to me, and I have mixed it in the engine oil. Something about "Just Maxlife".. I know it is very good, and Boston Massachusetts won't get as cold as Canada (?) but, still. "Partial?" ANY validity there? How did that ATF look to you...

The timing belt thing, I would have to say "It is looking like April" as that is when inspection is due. Without divulging too much as to our financial situation or aspirations, etc.. but, "Inspection due 04/2013" (sticker is up) = I can say "Might as well spend that $1000 and let the dealer do the belt." That will fly.. as well as we have resolved to set aside MORE money for 2013, and not buy any/everything,a s we have been....

We will see...

I don't know if you have a manual or auto tranny. If D4 is what is specified for it, do it. I always run Redline in my trannys, manual or automatic, though I use Redline MTL in the manuals and D4 in the autos.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
As I recall, Redline D4 isn't all that thin. It's their D6 that is relatively thin, like Dexron VI.

That is correct. D4 is roughly the same viscosity of Dexron III, Mercon, and Mercon V, whereas D6 is very close to the viscosity of Dexron VI and Mercon LV. So the D6 is the thinner stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back