Where is transmission fill plug on 6speed ford 500

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can somebody please tell me where it is? I found the dipstick and drain plug but I can't see the fill plug anywhere. It is a 2006 five-hundred with a 6 speed and 3.0 liter

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
You fill it through the dipstick tube.

I read that there is supposed to be a fill somewhere, also the dipstick tube is too small

Originally Posted By: 7055
I found the dipstick and drain plug but I can't see the fill plug anywhere.

Not to insult your intelligence or mechanical ability, but I'm surprised this application has a transmission drain plug.

It's on top of the transmission, just to the fender side of the gear selector mechanism.

Thankyou, I finally found it, it's covered up by the battery and has a star shaped bolt. Filling it through the dipstick would be a PITA

OK... Be VERY careful about opening ANYTHING on a transmission. You must reference the FSM to ensure that what you (or a 3rd party reference service) think is a fill plug is actually a fill plug...and not a band anchor or some other fastener whose removal will kill your transmission. You're always safe adding fluid through the dipstick tube...if it's too small, get a smaller funnel...don't risk your transmission by loosening external bolts on it...some transmissions do not have a fill plug and must be filled via the dipstick.

Last edited:
And this is not meant to sound defensive but why would a transmission not have both a drain and fill plug? I mean the transmission has to be serviced some how. Just curious

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Astro14
OK... Be VERY careful about opening ANYTHING on a transmission. You must reference the FSM to ensure that what you (or a 3rd party reference service) think is a fill plug is actually a fill plug...and not a band anchor or some other fastener whose removal will kill your transmission. You're always safe adding fluid through the dipstick tube...if it's too small, get a smaller funnel...don't risk your transmission by loosening external bolts on it...some transmissions do not have a fill plug and must be filled via the dipstick.

I already removed it but it has a rubber gasket so it looks like it was the right thing.

And this is not meant to sound defensive but why would a transmission not have both a drain and fill plug? I mean the transmission has to be serviced some how. Just curious

On some transmissions they expect you to drop the whole pan in order to drain it. They do this, of course, because they don't care at all about service. It will last past the warranty period on the factory fluid. They don't give two hoots about how the service will go later.

My 6R80 in my FX4 has neither. I have had to take it to the dealer for both of its filter/fluid changes. There is no dipstick either (perhaps other than the engineer that designed it) so even checking the fluid is a dealer only task.

Originally Posted By: Kruse
I found the dipstick and drain plug but I can't see the fill plug anywhere.

Not to insult your intelligence or mechanical ability, but I'm surprised this application has a transmission drain plug.
It has an Aisin trans. It has a drain.

So the shade-tree owner doesn't unscrew the tranny pan plug thinking it's an engine plug, then add 5 (or 6) quarts of engine oil to an already full engine, drive down the road and ruin both the tranny and the engine, and then tries to file suit against Ford for a bad drive train. Plus, it saves them a few cents not having to tap threads and buy a drain plug during the assembly of the car.

Many modern transmissions are not designed to be serviced except at the dealer. By sealing them up, they preclude contamination (the majority of transmissions torn down under warranty work at GM contain rag lint)...but they also preclude anyone except the dealer doing any service. Many engineers see mechanics/service only as the potential to introduce dirt....but their job is to get the transmission through the warranty period...not to keep it running past that period...

Originally Posted By: Astro14

I already removed it but it has a rubber gasket so it looks like it was the right thing.

Yep, the star-shaped bolt next to the gear selector is the fill plug. The above comment though is spot on, and particularly ironic w/this transmission. The older, 5 speed version had a bolt which held the 3rd gear band in place, and was often mistaken as a fill plug. Supposedly it was even listed in some repair data bases as a fill plug. Quite a few owners drained the transmission and then lost third gear. Here's one cautionary tale.

I've done a drain and fill on this exact transmission before, and I have the FSM for it (covers both your car and my Freestyle w/the CVT). There's really nothing close to the fill plug you could mistake for a fill plug. The only hassle is getting to it as there's a lot of stuff in the way.

There are some used transmission on Ebay for $400-600 w/100K or less on them, and you could always check out car-part.com to see if any local salvage places have them. If the fluid swap doesn't help, I'd probably go that route. W/regular fluid changes these will go a long time, and it's probably cheaper than a rebuild.

They've been getting goofy lately, but there was a good thirty years, from about 1965 to 1995 that about 95% or more domestic automatics had neither a fill plug or a drain plug. Filled by funnel through the dipstick and drained by removing the pan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back