News Analysis "More Guns = More Killing"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just from looking at that map it looks like the southern half of the US is worse than the northern half.

Above the 49th parallel is quite a bit safer than them all. Not saying Canada has a solution, we do have a lot less people though.

Tempest, that map's great but doesn't really state anything we don't already know... Safer than average yet highly dense so more crime per square mile than most places, and crime localized in the biggest population centers where there are destroyed inner city slums.

But as a state, how can we possibly be safer with all the gun laws? All that high opportunity fish in a barrel? We should be like El Salvidor!

Again, if it's concentrated in the cities, then its a divergent argument...

Quote:
Overall, New England had the lowest crime rates, for both violent and property crimes. New England states also had the lowest homicide rates in the country.

Vastly different laws between CT and MA vs VT and NH. Not sure what the laws accomplish.

People in the boonies are at risk of home invasion. Lower than cities perhaps, but it occurs. Especially since houses are isolated, and help is all the further away.

Quote:
Again, if it's concentrated in the cities, then its a divergent argument..

Inanimate objects don't cause crime, people do and there will be variations of the "rule" at any given place. I am not familiar with NJ so why crime is lower there I don't know.

The Wiki link you provided said that New England has lower crime in general than the rest of the country and that higher income areas have lower crime rates than poorer areas.

Originally Posted By: oldhp
If you use a weapon in crime you should hung by the neck until dead.
Period.

I agree. There is reasonable intent and that's fair to me.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

I resent comparing my country to third world cesspools. Mexico, El Salvidor or wherever else is highly irrelevant to me. Of course if those doing crime hail from those places, then let's call a spade a spade and recognize it.

Why not? We are slowly becoming that 3rd world cesspool. Look at the rise of gangs from those countries in the USA. Look at our policies that are making us more like them. Look at increasing jobless, homeless, and those on welfare.

It's not happening today, tomorrow, but I'd say in the next 50-100 years the USA will be more like them unless we figure it out and get this great country back on track. What is happening there may very well be a glimpse of what's to come here.

Quote:
As for safety, by the numbers, Im a bit safer in NJ than in PA.

1000px-US_Violent_Crime_2004.svg.png

Map of violent crime per 100,000 people in the USA by state in 2004.

Interesting - I looked at the Wikipedia article and it looks like PA's problem can be attibuted to Filthadelphia. NJ has cleaned up Newark and I think Camden is slowly changing as well. I know when I go back to NJ, Newark isn't the [blank]hole it used to be. Still not an awesome place but they are trying.

Originally Posted By: itguy08

I resent comparing my country to third world cesspools. Mexico, El Salvidor or wherever else is highly irrelevant to me. Of course if those doing crime hail from those places, then let's call a spade a spade and recognize it.

Why not? We are slowly becoming that 3rd world cesspool. Look at the rise of gangs from those countries in the USA. Look at our policies that are making us more like them. Look at increasing jobless, homeless, and those on welfare.

It's not happening today, tomorrow, but I'd say in the next 50-100 years the USA will be more like them unless we figure it out and get this great country back on track. What is happening there may very well be a glimpse of what's to come here.

A lot of the economical problem (unemployment, homeless, welfare collection, etc) has to do with the de-industrialization of an industrialized nation.

Any nation that was once a manufacturing power house and rising standard of living would be too expensive compare to a rising 3rd world that take these jobs away. Then, unless the standard of living is lowered via inflation / currency devaluation, you will not get the jobs back until relatively cheap labor comes back.

Those industrial zones / cities / counties / states are usually the first that becomes ghetto, because of unemployment and reduction in property value.

This happens everywhere, immigration or not. Check out Glasglow ghetto.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear

A lot of the economical problem (unemployment, homeless, welfare collection, etc) has to do with the de-industrialization of an industrialized nation.

And people gripe when I make comments in Harbor Freight tool threads...

Yet I say it time and time again, we do so much of this to ourselves.

And now we need 30-100 rounds in an AR apparently to protect us from the hordes...

I would not believe anything I read in the NY Times. I don't believe anything that is put out by agenda driven news media.

The bottom line is people have a right in this country to have firearms. And those people have a responsibility to make sure their firearms are secure and do not wind up in the wrong hands. Criminals who were interviewed said that they would be less likely to try to break into a house where they knew the owners had guns.

This is not Europe (yet). This is also not Mexico where there are strict laws but it seems the criminals have no problem getting guns.

And a criminal does not have to have a gun to kill you. He could use a baseball bat, a hammer, a knife, etc. We can't outlaw everything that could be used to assault and injure or kill a human being.

There are those who believe the government should control everything. I say the government seems to do a very bad job controlling anything and I don't want for my life to be controlled by the government. I want to control my own life.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ooa98FHuaU0

Watch and you decide.

In the US, the bulk of the violent crime is located in major metropolitan areas.

Everywhere on earth the bulk of violent crimes are in low income, high population density area.

even among major metropolitan, it is the "slum" that get these crimes because, well, most of them are unemployed, substance abused, or have mental health issues.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Everywhere on earth the bulk of violent crimes are in low income, high population density area.
even among major metropolitan, it is the "slum" that get these crimes because, well, most of them are unemployed, substance abused, or have mental health issues.

Of course having a massive number of weapons in circulation makes access to push-button murder much easier. The USA has made it's bed and now it must lie in it.

Originally Posted By: Mystic

The bottom line is people have a right in this country to have firearms. And those people have a responsibility to make sure their firearms are secure and do not wind up in the wrong hands. Criminals who were interviewed said that they would be less likely to try to break into a house where they knew the owners had guns.

Well said. I wish that were the case that the responsibility was taken seriously.

Now that's just as dumb as needing 500 rounds in a drum to offset the riot in west nowheresville...

Originally Posted By: itguy08
Us here in PA are simple, and I believe our crime rate is lower than neighboring sates.

The data mostly supports the fact that more guns = less crime. Look at Mexico - guns are illegal there for the average citizen and yet they have horrific gun crimes.

As for safety, by the numbers, Im a bit safer in NJ than in PA.

1000px-US_Violent_Crime_2004.svg.png

Map of violent crime per 100,000 people in the USA by state in 2004.

From here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_the_United_States

What's interesting to me is that many southern states with lax laws are also less safe.

Looks to me like Oklahoma and Texas are about the same color as California and Massachusetts.

Hmmmmmm.......
36.gif

We should ban sports cars, since their only intent is to speed and violate the LAW!!!

However... It would be difficult to even make a legal definition of a sports car. If you define a sports car as any vehicle with high horsepower, then Cadillac's and other vehicles normally considered luxury vehicles would fit the definition. Want to make sharp cornering vehicles illegal? That would be pure idiocy, as vehicles with sharp cornering abilities are actually safer when driven responsibly. Or maybe we should just ban vehicles that "look like" sports cars? So much for the first amendment. Now you can't drive a car that "looks like" it's designed to go fast, even if you actually follow the law when you drive it.

Now you can see why sports cars are still legal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back