Reducing number of oils needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the fleet is now a little smaller, Scooter has been sold, was not being used.

Currently the Clio is given the same oil as the Taxi. But can be given 0w40, 5w40 or 10w40 and in the handbook also 10w50!

Taxi takes 0w40, 5w40 and 10w40.

Both same specs, though Taxi can take HDEO to CI 4.

The Pathfinder takes 5w30 to C3 though I have given 5w40 C3 a try this time to compare to previous 5w30 C3 both over 5k.

Now the C3 spec is basically an A3/B3/B4 oil will low saps.

The same year Clio with same engine but the Renault DPF system called FAP takes 5w30 C3.

I am thinking that 5w30 will possibly slightly improve economy on the Clio. As the DPF version has slightly better co2 emissions.

The 10w40 is a little to thick when cold in the Clio as it is slightly slower to turn over when cold when compared to Mobil 1 0w40.

The Taxi is either going to be kept on Mobil 1 0w40 or I will go to the distributer in Southampton and purchase the Delvac 5w40 I have been considering, it is a CI 4 oil that comes in 20 litre barrels so one will last nearly six months.

But back to the real issue.

I can't see there being any issue with putting a low saps oil in a non DPF equipped diesel, perhaps it will even be beneficial as it could reduce exhaust emissions and perhaps help the EGR valve to remain clean for longer.

The Pathfinder has had no ill effects from the 5w40, but I am sure the fuel economy is a little bit worse than before, though I rarely drive it so perhaps I am imagining it.

I am thinking of extending the Pathfinder OCI to 8k miles as that will mean two OCI a year and the Clio will stay the same at 8/9k so still two OCI a year.

Due to postage costs I will be sending four UOA to Blackstone in a few months.

Carlube 5w30 C3 5k miles. Pathfinder
Castrol Edge 5w40 C3 5k miles. Pathfinder (interval not completed, might run it to 7/8k)

Maxlife Diesel synth blend 10w40 8k miles. Taxi.
Mobil 1 New Life 0w40 7/8k miles. Taxi.

Pathfinder is also about to get treated to Forte DPF cleaner as a bit of preventative maintenance.

All comments welcomed.

Volvo, Nissan and Clio seem to be good candidates for an ACEA E6 5w-30 oil.

Like:
Castrol Elixion Low-SAPS 5w-30 (NOACK 6.3% ; TBN 9.5mgKOH/g)

... or Delvac 1 LE 5w-30 (TBN 12.6mgKOH/g !)

...or Rimula R6 LME (TBN 10.4)

The life of the DPF and the trouble-free operation of the EGR valve largely depend on the rate of oil consumption / volatility...

I believe Volvo uses Ford/PSA DW10BTED4 engine (I think in PSA models only as DPF-equipped )... In the first couple of years Peugeot/Citroen used to recommend 10w-40 ACEA A3/B4 !!! (full-SAPS; HT/HS >3.5 cP)oils for this DPF engine along with 5w-40 A3/B4 and 5w-30 A5/B5 C2 oils...when Total introduced INEO low-SAPS line however one particular eco-oil became the "main" recommendation (INEO ECS 5w-30). Meanwhile Ford chose to impose only their beloved lower HT/HS for the engines they co-produced with PSA...go figure...

In the Taxi...well, the choice is much wider...

Last edited:
I never knew that the PSA version used -w40 oils or indeed A3/B3/B4 specs, good info to know.

I will do a bit more digging as Ford and Volvo have always specced the energy conserving 5w30 oils from what I have read.

Though it wouldn't surprise me if there were such differences as PSA have very different opinions on other things to do with this engine.

Such as PSA versions having an inbuilt hand primer for the fuel system, very important in a vehicle with no lift pump in the tank!

Yes I found out the hard way.

What do you think of my plan to use the Clio dci FAP spec of oil like that used in the Pathfinder.

Good idea?

Here are some PSA oil recommendations for their engine families prior Euro5:

http://www.peugeot.com.au/media/deliacms/media/3/305-df583b.pdf

http://silmarx.byethost14.com/files/car/C4_Lubricant_Guide.pdf

... as you see , permission to use 10w-40; 5w-40 A3/B4 along with A5/B5 C2 in DW10BTED4 (DPF'd) is still valid and many are still serviced this way. Only the Euro5 verison mandates strictly C2 oils!
...on a side note,the only "non-ACEA C2" B712290 approved oil was/is Mobil 1 ESP 5w-30 (ACEA C3 ,HT/HS >3,5cP).But what PSA recommends has been tied to Total production line,which is very annoying at times...

Well, although ACEA may pose the same limit on wear for an Ax/Bx and a Cx oil...it all comes down to what the manufacturer says,plus OEM demands are usually more severe. In most of the cases the OEM would list the lower-SAPS oil as applicable to many engine families of the time(like PSA; MB; and others do-and all this confirmed by extensive in-house lab and field testing)...and sometimes there are exceptions like this one by Mazda(differencies in engine design...metallurgy etc.):
Quote:
Engine Oil
• For vehicles with RF-T engine and DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter), Mazda has developed special engine oil called ‘Mazda Dexelia DPF’. This oil meets the specification ACEA C1, and has a significantly lower ash formation than normal engine oil. As a result of its very low ash formation in comparison to other engine oils, ‘Mazda Dexelia DPF’ guarantees lifetime performance of the DPF.

NOTE: If other than the specified oil is used, the service life of the DPF will be shortened.
• In general, the ash forming additives in the engine oil protect the valve train against wear. Since oil with ACEA C1 specification has 62 % less ash forming additives than oil with ACEA A3/B4 specification, the RF-T engines on vehicles with DPF feature a modified valve train, ensuring durability of the engine.

NOTE: Engine oil with ACEA C1 specification must only be used for vehicles with RF-T engine and DPF. Since other engines (diesel as well as petrol) do not feature a modified valve train (even the Mazda6 pre-F/L and the Mazda MPV with RF-T engine), excessive wear would occur when engine oil with ACEA C1 specification is used, leading to severe engine damages (refer to the respective service information for details).

The other main consideration is the lower TBN ...

I don't think however that using a C3 or E6 oil in a non-DPF K9K will do any harm with a reasonable OCI ... but I'd be hesitant to use C3 in older engine families.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info!

Lots to consider.

I don't think I will be able to use the same in the Pathfinder and Clio though I have never run the Clio past 9k and usually do it well before 8k, the OCI in my foot ore is really worst case scenario.

At the moment I can easily use Mobil 1 0w40 New Life in the Taxi and Clio, Maxlife 10w40 doesn't really suit the Clio from a cold start.

I am going to have a good read of your links.

Thanks for posting them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back