Shell Rotella T5 vs T6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1999 BMW M3 with a high mileage engine. It is only driven on the street but I do drive it hard some times. Right now it is using about 1 qt per 1000 miles of redline 5w30 and this is common for these engines. One of the top engine builders recommended that I switch to Rotella T5 10w40 to reduce the consumption. (I live in California where the temperature is warm) Apparently that is a synthetic blend but I would like to use full synthetic and have heard of BMW owners using Rotella T6 5w40 with good results. My oil change interval goes by the service lights which can be up to 9000 miles. Which oil would be better for me? Thanks

Andy

Rotella T6 would be better than T5 . Why not use a ACEA A3 spec oil or a BMW LL oil . Mobil 1 0w-40 or Castrol Syntec 5w-40 would be a good choice as well. If it is consuming alot perhaps Mobil 1 10w-40 High Mileage.

The t-5 being a semi-syn may curb consumption. I have noticed in v-twin engines that conventional oils seem to be consumed at a slower rate than synthetics.
Try it out. If the t-5 doesn't work out try the t-6

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
T5 10w-40? Not 10w-30?

Rotella T Triple Protection is the 10w-30 flavor.

T5 is a 10w-40 semi-syn.

I own a gallon of T5 semi-syn 10w-30.

There is a rotela 10w-30, but also a T5 version...

Ive not personally seen T5 10w-40. Im not denying that it exists...

I would go T6 5W-40 with OEM oil filter and drain plugs. I stress importance of OEM filter. Check your PCV valve as well and air filter.

If that doesn't work, do same as above but instead get Maxlife blend or synthetic 10W-40.

Yeah I always use oem filter adn coolant. My pcv (oil separator) is leaking a bit so Ill replace that to help the consumption. Air filter is new. Apparently Rotella T5 and T6 works well for these engines given what they say on the BMW forums but I'd like to find out which would be optimal. I always lean toward full synth.

My Taxi has just gone past 180k miles and the OCI before this one was Maxlife Diesel10w40 synth blend.

I know this is not a similar engine but it hardly used half a litre in the OCI, which was at least 8k miles, 50/50 dual carriageway and harsh urban Taxi work.

Didn't stop me going for Mobil 1 0w40 (SN/SM) New Life this time though!

I will say I had oil consumption issues on Mobil 1 0w40 many years ago in a high mileage Omega which had the 2.5 BMW 6 cylinder Diesel engine, this was almost stopped by switching to 5w40 Comma Syner D.

I would try the fully synthetic Maxlife perhaps, but I would shy away from using Mobil 1 just in case the oil use was to increase.

The Clio (also on Maxlife Diesel 10w40) has still not needed any top ups since the episode when the oil light came on, so I suspect that was just the result of a long journey and perhaps a sensor issue, pity I wasn't there to see exactly how much oil was out in and what the dipstick level was.

Or the wife might have got the warning lights mixed up!

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I own a gallon of T5 semi-syn 10w-30.

There is a rotela 10w-30, but also a T5 version...

Ive not personally seen T5 10w-40. Im not denying that it exists...

I've seen it. It does exist,but not very common

Tractor Supply carries T5 in 10w40, but if you're going to run a HDEO 40 weight I'd opt for the T6 between the two I believe.

So despite being 5w should the T6 be the same viscosity when hot due to being synthetic? The thicker oil should help my engine seal.

You won't be disappointed with T6.

I'm using it in my aircooled Bug due to the 1200+ zddp count. It doesn't burn off, doesn't leak, and hasn't even started to discolor in about 3000 miles. I'm actually getting a consistent 25.xx MPG with it vs the 23.xx I was before, with Mobil 5000 10w-30 conventional (plus a shot of Lucas zddp juice). Nothing changed but the oil.

Once I go through my 12 quarts of QSGB, I'll probably start using T6 in my Saturn, as well, for convenience's sake.

Difference is that Rotella oils are not recommended for gas engines having cat converters. This comes from Rotellas tech dept (I have their e-mail they sent me today). T6 oil meets SM requirements but the cat converter compatibility is driven by ILSEC standards that want to see Phosphorous content reduced to below 800 ppm and Rotella T6 has about 1100 ppm. Their customer base is the diesel community, not the gas community so they recommend not using Rotella oils in gas engines with cat converters.

Wouldn't if I were you...Rotella says they do not recommend T6 in gas engines with cat converters. The high Phosphorous content can kill cat converters....... I have their e-mail (received it today) recommending not to use it in gas engines with cat converters.....

Originally Posted By: TrackerTracker
Wouldn't if I were you...Rotella says they do not recommend T6 in gas engines with cat converters. The high Phosphorous content can kill cat converters....... I have their e-mail (received it today) recommending not to use it in gas engines with cat converters.....

Only if you're engine has a serious problem with burning oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back