Engine work on Mitsubishi Outlander 3.0L **PICS**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dad and I like to do work on the cars over the holiday to spend time together and keep everyone's cars going strong. This Christmas season, we spent two days attacking a leaking upper oil pan, rear diff output seal, spark plugs (upper intake removal included), and timing belt replacement. While we were going through it, we snapped some pictures. Not all are great, but there's not much wiggle room for cell phone photography.

I've had the Outlander since 30k miles back in early '09. We did all of this at 105k miles. I've been doing 5k OCI w/ Mobile1 or PP to 60k so I wouldn't have any warranty issues, then with some Blackstone tests, bumped that up to 7.5k OCI sticking with Mobile1 or PP.

https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B1AQsauCxVpxUWh0NTRmc0xJVHc/edit

What are these Outlanders like?

I have looked at a couple as want a more upright driving position to help with the Arthritis.

Wouldn't be looking as petrol engines, more likely one of the diesel.

But they are super rare in the UK so not much info' is around.

Originally Posted By: bigjl
What are these Outlanders like?

I have looked at a couple as want a more upright driving position to help with the Arthritis.

Wouldn't be looking as petrol engines, more likely one of the diesel.

But they are super rare in the UK so not much info' is around.

I'm a part of a mitsubishi forum where we have some UK members. The engines they have over there are different than the US models. Over here, we have the 3.0L and 2.4L. Over there they get a diesel and a gasoline engine. I can't comment too much on the engines over there, but as far as my 3.0L, I love it. The AWD on it is very very good and got better on the US 2010 "GT" trim with a Super-AWD. Rear suspension is a bit saggy, but Firestone has made an airbag assist kit for the rears that is very easy to install and improves that aspect. AWD is electronic, so you can change at any speed.

This was the first major maintenance I've had to do on it yet. I believe ball joints will be next, they've been creaking since 50k miles, but I have a Firestone life-time alignment plan and they will tell you if they are shot when they cannot align it properly. Not much to speak of on my interior, but if you aren't too concerned about it, not an issue. I've read that they updated the interior quality a bit in '09/'10.

Depending on your highway speeds, it gets relatively good gas mileage. When we bought it, I could get 27.5MPG at 70MPH. I put truck tires on and immediately lost 3MPG. Next year I'll probably get tires again, and get passenger rated tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back