2009 Acura TSX oil recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dom

Car tells me to change the oil every 10k. In the past on my 00 Z28 I was running German Castro 0W30. I haven't kept up on oil news since then.

Is it better to use extended synthetics and do 10k OCI or regular synthetic and do 7.5k OCI?

Please recommend oil and filter for your chosen interval.

For 10k OCI I was thinking Mobil 1 EP and Mobil 1 EP filter. I don't know what the equivalent of this is for other brands.

For 7.5k OCI I would get Mobil 1 or Castrol Edge and PureOne filter. I've done a lot of searching on here and there are so many choices it's confusing. I commute 60miles one way to work so I'd rather do longer OCI.

I read that even though 5W20 is recommended I should use 0W20 year round.

BTW I don't mind paying a little more within reason. Priority is for the car to last to 200k and maybe more. It has 40k now.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Honda only requires 5w-20 conventional, so anything beyond that would be an upgrade.

I would use Mobil 1 EP 5W-20 ($27 at WM) and an OE filter. This should definitely last you the full length of the interval dictated by the computer.

Mobil 1 0w20 is less expensive and should work adequately as well. Since the 0W-20 recommendation is not listed in the owner's manual or the oil cap, and only on a TSB, I would not use it while under warranty since it may raise some flags in the event of a warranty claim. Just remember that many dealers are staffed by the lowest-denominator and sticking to the viscosity in the book is your best bet.

Acura has also retroactively approved 0W20 for the 2009 TSX (4 and 6 cyl).

Check with your local Honda dealer for pricing on their syn 0W20 and syn blend 5w20 bulk supply pricing.

At my local Honda dealer, I can get the 5w20 for $2.41 and the 0W20 for $3.41.

The Acura/Honda-branded 0w20 is good stuff. I agree that you should buy it by the case and it should be pretty cheap.

Honda has 2 types 0W20, one is syn blend and one is full syn. If I can buy Honda full syn 0W20 for $3.41/qt I would never consider any other xW20.

Your favorite flavor synthetic. I prefer Pennzoil Ultra.
Bosch DistancePlus filter
5% OLM or 1 year

$40 at Walmart

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back