Idle Hours as compared to mileage

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the last month, I have been driving about 30-80 miles at 6:30am. My truck idles all day (my work requires it), and then I drive back and usually doesn't get shut off till 6pm. I am running Amsoil Signature Series 0w-20 and the temperature is around 0 degrees fahrenheit (Yes, its cold). What bearing will this have on my oil? I have been told 1hr idle time is equivalent to 25 miles driving. Is this correct? If so, I have about 20,000miles on this oil!

I would say your going to have fuel dilution,have you ever UOA the truck?

20K on this oil? wow id be doing a report,just because its a boutique oil doesn'nt mean things are good. i would change oil and grab a sample.

When I drive in city, I get average 20 MPH. The engine doesn't work too hard. So, I would guess 1hr idling ~ 20 miles.

The better way would be actually converting miles to engine hours and adding to idling hrs to get total engine hrs, or even better to install hrs meter in the truck. I put one in my boat, very easy DIY.

Cool non-relevant fact. Audi claims that 1 mile of racing equates to 15 miles of road use. All there RS models are tested 5000miles of racing before they are cleared for sale.

An hour meter would be nice, but since cars don't publish service on hrs, you would end up doing some UOA's anyway.

So I would do 3-5k miles and take a sample. and after a few you should get an idea of how far you can go.

With that much Idling I would also pay closer attention/maintenance to the cooling system/belts/hoses/pullies/ belt tensionor. Not sure if the vehicle is left unattended or not.

my .02

Idling used to mean a lot more than it now does.

When I did my engineering thesis, it was on fuel and air flow in inlet manifolds. The test rig used a bosch mechanical injector, located upstream, downstream of the butterfy, and close to the port exit.

At steady state, stoichiometric, there was a lot of fuel running along the floor of the manifold, as a stream, rather than being entrained in the airflow. This fuel would have significant access to the ring area, and head straight to the sump (and wear)...as an aside, the Mercedes Wankels used this phenomenon to have a stream of lubricating oil wetting the inlet manifold so that it was clipped off by the rotor apex seals (Merc were peripheral port), lubricating the apex seals without flooding the chamber with oil.

Also, the bulk air/fuel had to be richened to make the bit that wasn't liquid combustible, putting more fuel into the oil...also fouled plugs, and made that first acceleration after long idling pretty iffy sometimes *

With a timed (rather than batch) port fuel injected engine, the amount of free fuel following walls is greatly reduced. The over-richening isn't there.

I just don't see that idling a modern engine is anywhere near as bad as it used to be, and probably pretty close to benign.

* Interesting watching the fuel stream get washed down the intake when the throttle was cracked, leaving the walls dry briefly, and taking big parts of seconds to re-establish equilibium, thus the need for accelerator pumps.

Idling is still going to put "miles" on the oil though right? I remember working on a farm when I was younger. We changed the oil on the tractors every 100 hours. Most of them worked hard at full engine speed constantly all day long.

Originally Posted By: atc250r
For the last month, I have been driving about 30-80 miles at 6:30am. My truck idles all day (my work requires it), and then I drive back and usually doesn't get shut off till 6pm. I am running Amsoil Signature Series 0w-20 and the temperature is around 0 degrees fahrenheit (Yes, its cold). What bearing will this have on my oil? I have been told 1hr idle time is equivalent to 25 miles driving. Is this correct? If so, I have about 20,000miles on this oil!

Close to if not more miles. Have a UOA done see how the oil did. Use an hour meter and change oil based on hours, you'll probably need to do a UOA or two to see when its best to drop the oil. The good news is you can do a UOA w/o draining the oil, just extract some via the dipstick tube.

Originally Posted By: supercity
Idling is still going to put "miles" on the oil though right? I remember working on a farm when I was younger. We changed the oil on the tractors every 100 hours. Most of them worked hard at full engine speed constantly all day long.

Do burnouts count as miles, given that time is minutes and displacement is yards ?

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: supercity

Do burnouts count as miles, given that time is minutes and displacement is yards ?

Something to ponder........
21.gif

The 33 miles per idle hour quoted by Ford is their figure, possibly it's a bit high but it's no doubt in the ballpark...

I changed oil and just got my UOA from Blackstone yesterday. Pretty decent, imo. I would like to post the UOA, but I can't believe the work involved in posting/attaching it in this site. Pathetic, to say the least. Every other forum that I am a member on allows me to post attachments with just a few clicks. If posting UAO's is encouraged, the mods need to make it user-friendly, WHICH IT ISN'T.

Ok, rant over. lol

Originally Posted By: Texan4Life
An hour meter would be nice, but since cars don't publish service on hrs, you would end up doing some UOA's anyway.

My Dodge Charger does have an Hour meter, as I'm sure most if not all Dodge Chargers have them as well. Also included are: Coolant temp, Oil Temp, Oil Pressure, and Trans temp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back