om642 oil change interval

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2007 MB E320 Bluetec (diesel engine om642). It has about 120K miles. The dealer has always changed the oil at about 10K miles.

Is it worth changing the oil in between the 10K mile maintenances?

What kind of oil does the dealer use? Under the hood it states Mobil 1.

Thanks,
Joe

Chev has mobil 1 stamped on their oil fill caps too,doesn't mean anything more than mobil cut a deal with them to suggest that customers use their products.
There is no reason to change your oil in between scheduled intervals unless you qualify for severe duty,but an oil analysis will yield more info than our opinions.
If driven normally the present interval is adequate.

Our 96 E300D wont raise the soot level high enough to justify OCIs shorter than 7500, and the newer engines should be just fine. You do want to watch TBN and soot though via UOA.

A good 229.5 oil, which is likely what the OM recommends, should be fine. Is low SAPS required for a DPF or simlar requirement?

Originally Posted By: Rizzo
I have a 2007 MB E320 Bluetec (diesel engine om642). It has about 120K miles. The dealer has always changed the oil at about 10K miles.
What kind of oil does the dealer use? Under the hood it states Mobil 1
Thanks,
Joe

What does it say in the receipt, as they should give you a full print out with the oil type used?
It should be good for 10K miles unless you get stuck in too much traffic jams, but find out exactly what they are using.
Some of the stickers under a bonnet might say "Iffy Lube Inc change at 3K", but you won't get arrested for using 10K, so foget the Mobil sponsorship of oil caps.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bigjl
I don't think it is sponsorship. Rather that Mobil is a recommended oil manufacturer.

They are recommended because they worked hand-in-hand with Mercedes Benz in testing and developing the lube standards that allow the oils to go the distance specified
thumbsup2.gif

Hi,
OVERK1LL - Correct! I can speak with some authority on that point. Daimler AG do have a number of FF suppiers too of course

This is also as it is with the VW Group, BMW and Castrol.

Third party suppliers to the Manuafturers also fit into that scenario in refining new lubricants' performance and their eventual applications

And as it has been in a similar manner for several decades!!!

The first one that I was involved with was Duckhams 20W-50 and the Austin-Morris Mini in 1958-9

10K miles is good timing on that engine. MB is moving to 14,000 miles for 2013 OCI on that engine. They cannot point to any engineering differences in the engines that allow them to go to 14K aside from increased confidence that they can make the move based on current performance.

I'm looking at buying an '08 E320 Bluetec myself. The oil was changed by an MB dealer at 10K intervals. However, my long-time mechanic still clings to the idea of the 5K interval for a diesel engine, despite what Mercedes recommends. Is it possible that severe service -- a lot of idling in traffic, etc. -- could shorten the interval by half?

If not -- if a 10K interval is reasonable for someone who drives about 10K in a year -- how can I convince him that the modern oils are strong enough, even on a diesel?

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
I'm looking at buying an '08 E320 Bluetec myself. The oil was changed by an MB dealer at 10K intervals. However, my long-time mechanic still clings to the idea of the 5K interval for a diesel engine, despite what Mercedes recommends. Is it possible that severe service -- a lot of idling in traffic, etc. -- could shorten the interval by half?

If not -- if a 10K interval is reasonable for someone who drives about 10K in a year -- how can I convince him that the modern oils are strong enough, even on a diesel?

Uoa. Get it in writing,or get a mech that isn't to old to learn new tricks. If he's that stubborn about oil are you sure you want him touching your engine

Originally Posted By: Clevy

Uoa. Get it in writing,or get a mech that isn't to old to learn new tricks. If he's that stubborn about oil are you sure you want him touching your engine

I've been going to him for years, and he has yet to steer me wrong. In any case, it may not matter. If I buy this car and change the oil myself once a year, as I plan to, the issue won't even come up.

Originally Posted By: Rizzo
What kind of oil does the dealer use? Under the hood it states Mobil 1.
Thanks,
Joe

If you want to look after your diesel firstly do an oil only change at 5K miles and send a sample to Blackstones to see what is happening.
10K miles should be OK if you do enough longer highish speed trips, but if you are spending too much time at idle, that puts you into the servere service group and then try 5K miles oil changes with a 10K mile full service AND use a real good oil that has a high level of detergents (Calcium compounds) and dispersants (Boron compounds) to make sure there is no long term sludge risk.
If your oil consumption is low and you don't have any oil leaks, then try a major brand (Castrol, Mobil, Shell or Liqui Moly) full synthetic, if not then think out a major brand HM oil.

Contamination effects dino and synthetics in exactly the same way, so if you are spending too much time in traffic 5K makes sense to dump the oil which might be sufferering from fuel and carbon (Insolubles in UOA) contamination.
If you do lots of long trips, then 10K should be good unless you get the real big oil killer, anti freeze contamination from a head gasket issue, although fuel contamination from a bad injector is nearly as bad.

Originally Posted By: skyship

Contamination effects dino and synthetics in exactly the same way, so if you are spending too much time in traffic 5K makes sense to dump the oil which might be sufferering from fuel and carbon (Insolubles in UOA) contamination.
If you do lots of long trips, then 10K should be good unless you get the real big oil killer, anti freeze contamination from a head gasket issue, although fuel contamination from a bad injector is nearly as bad.

My commute and routine remain the same: About 9 miles to work one way, about half of it at highway speeds in the morning, a little more stop and go in the evening; a 25-mile interstate-speed round trip to the suburbs about 5-6 times a month. Normally I rack up a little less than 10K in a year. (I have a feeling that with a '08 Benz I'll do a little more "fun" driving!)

I plan to change the oil myself -- a first change in about 2 months, at 90K miles. So the group's suggestion would be to take a sample for Blackstone, perhaps at 5K-6K miles, and decide then whether to continue the 10K interval, or perhaps cut it to 7.5 or 8K?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back