Battery size

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my car has thrown a trouble code for low battery voltage a couple of times in the last day or two.

The cars own meter is reading 11.6 - 11.7 volts switched off.

I'm going to top up with water and take it for a longer ride as its been getting some short trips partly because it has Gumout in there right now.

Anyhow, I'm looking at consumer reports battery results and they didn't test 36R

There is not much choice in this size but I'm going through the results to choose the best brand.

Out of the sizes there (65, 34/78, 48, 24, 35, 75) it seems that 34 is the best one to use for comparison.

What do you think?

Just seen that Diehard Gold 36R is $95.

And the only one CR recommended for long life with a great warranty.

So I think my choice is clear. I'll check Costco for a price comparison but if it's not a huge saving, the convenience of a one stop shop at Sears and a battery rated as longer lasting looks like it will sway my decision.

That is the biggest

Looking for a brand recommendation and which comparative sizes to consider when I look at the CR testing

In any case the choice is between Die Hard Gold and Kirkland

Last edited:
You want a battery that is manufactured by JCI (Johnson Controls). They make Interstate, Duralast (Autozone), most/some Diehards, Advance Autos, most WalMart batteries. You also want a group 36R - it is unique in its reversed post orientation and Ford style hold down tab on the bottom. No reason to substitute any other size. Trust me, I know batteries - I managed a battery distributorship for years.

Your best bet now is to buy one online at Advance Auto Parts using the discount code DOTW52 and pick up in store. That discount code saves you 40% (10 off 25, 20 off 50, 30 off 75, 40 off 100, and 50 off 125) Add a filter or two to take max advantage of the tiered discount. Too bad you just missed an additional $25 mail in rebate (expired 12/31) I just bought a $125 battery with 3 years free replacement for ~ $50 last week. I use paypal for purchases through Advance. Keep your receipt though (scan a copy - the register receipt fades) - as your warranty might not be in the "system" if you checkout using paypal.

Get the freshest one they have. Date stickers are on the batteries. I rarely see any old ones there though - they seem to have a good handle on what moves. YMMV

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately AA does not have that good a battery in 36r.

That's how I got down to Sears and Kirkland. In fact there is a chance that Costco won't have that size. I will have to check next time I am there.

Pep Boys has a discount but again not showing a good selection online. Good news though was their in store selection is more than their online

Originally Posted By: FoxS
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately AA does not have that good a battery in 36r.

That's how I got down to Sears and Kirkland. In fact there is a chance that Costco won't have that size. I will have to check next time I am there.

Pep Boys has a discount but again not showing a good selection online. Good news though was their in store selection is more than their online

Despite what Consumer Reports said for any particular size, overall the Interstate batteries are excellent and made by JCI. Their phone is 800-CRANKIT to find a local dealer.

I like the Walmart MAXX batteries, most are made by JCI.

Walmart is only 2 year warranty and no pro rating after that. And the only battery they have is $80. For $95 I can get Die Hard Gold with 3 year warranty and 100 month pro rating, and it is top ranked on CR

Originally Posted By: AndyinAL
You want a battery that is manufactured by JCI (Johnson Controls). They make Interstate, Duralast (Autozone), most/some Diehards, Advance Autos, most WalMart batteries. You also want a group 36R - it is unique in its reversed post orientation and Ford style hold down tab on the bottom. No reason to substitute any other size. Trust me, I know batteries - I managed a battery distributorship for years.

Your best bet now is to buy one online at Advance Auto Parts using the discount code DOTW52 and pick up in store. That discount code saves you 40% (10 off 25, 20 off 50, 30 off 75, 40 off 100, and 50 off 125) Add a filter or two to take max advantage of the tiered discount. Too bad you just missed an additional $25 mail in rebate (expired 12/31) I just bought a $125 battery with 3 years free replacement for ~ $50 last week. I use paypal for purchases through Advance. Keep your receipt though (scan a copy - the register receipt fades) - as your warranty might not be in the "system" if you checkout using paypal.

Get the freshest one they have. Date stickers are on the batteries. I rarely see any old ones there though - they seem to have a good handle on what moves. YMMV

Hope this helps.

What he said!!
smile.gif
Interstate MegaTron has been great on really cold start ups. Have it in F-150 and 95 Camry.

Why does everyone love JCI batteries? I guess you all have good luck with them.

I never have any car battery troubles. And I base my battery brand loyalty on the 4 deep cycle batteries (size 31's) I run in my boat. I've went through and tried about all of them. No one makes a battery as good as East Penn. My boat batteries get used HARD and every brand I've tried has lasted me 12 months TOPS!! My Trojans have been in the boat 4 years now.

East Penn makes Trojans, so I only buy East Penn batteries. Yeah, they are expensive, but so worth it. Plus, it's like using synthetic oil....you buy a little more up front, but you use the product longer, so in the end, it's a wash.

the dash gauge readout is not accurate. don't base your diagnosis on it. if the light is lit while the car is running then you have a failing charging circuit--- alternator or ecu or wiring in between.

check the voltage with a real meter with the car running and the hadlamps/heater on.

Originally Posted By: Phishin
Why does everyone love JCI batteries? I guess you all have good luck with them.

I used to think they were the best, but I've had some problems with Interstate and Optima (both JCI batteries now). What JCI did to destroy the once-superb Optima design particularly angered me at them and turned me off their other brands.

These days, I look for something made by East Penn (DEKA) or Enersys (Odyssey and Diehard platinum for example). I'm also giving a Batteries Plus "X2-Power" dual purpose AGM a shot in the Ram. They are supposedly re-badged NorthStar batteries. We'll see how that one goes, looks great on paper w/ great warranty and I like the 'Made in USA' label (a rare thing to see at Batteries Plus, to be honest!)

Originally Posted By: meep
the dash gauge readout is not accurate. don't base your diagnosis on it. if the light is lit while the car is running then you have a failing charging circuit--- alternator or ecu or wiring in between.

check the voltage with a real meter with the car running and the hadlamps/heater on.

Which lit light am I looking for?

When I was shopping for a battery, I came upon the following choices for the Group 65 at Sears:

$90 - Plus Start
$120 - DieHard
$140 - DieHard Gold
$220 - DieHard Platinum

Besides price, what are the differences? I did notice the more expensive ones were a bit heavier.

Plus Start- 650 CCA, RC 125 Min, 1 year warranty.
Diehard Gold- 850 CCA, RC 150, 6 Cell, 36 Month.
Diehard Platinum- AGM, 930 CCA, 135 RC, 6 Cell, 48 Month Warranty.

The platinum is a AGM, they are really nice batteries, pricey but worth it if you got the money.

+1 on East Penn and DEKA. The best batteries I know of. That said, I replaced the battery in my 2000 silverado in 2004 with a Costco battery (I do not recall who made it). 8.5 years later it is still in there and seemingly going strong. Never a problem with it, although it seems to be getting a little acid on the top of it now. I should probably load test it before I have trouble, batteries usually don't last that long.

BTW, I have had terrible experience with Walmart's Johnson Controls batteries in my motorhome. They couldn't last a year and a half without going bad. Trojan batteries are in it now and no problems with those.

Last edited:
My father had a 1995 Honda Accord and twice Wal-Mart batteries exploded in his car. He switched to something else and never had a problem. That is why I never use a battery from Wal-Mart.

Anyway, Carquest batteries are re-labeled DEKA batteries, and they are all I like to use. When I had my Saturn ION, the battery had the added advantage of having the same gas vents as the factory ACDelco battery, which is vital when the battery is mounted in the interior.

I've always had good luck with Johnson Controls but now I think that I should broaden my horizons to East Penn/Deka. There's a 2006 JCI Wal-Mart Everstart battery in a family car that's starting to crank over pretty slowly, creeping in on demise. A battery should last ten years, not six... my old car had an Interstate Mega-Tron Plus made by JCI that worked well even into 10 years old, which I replaced just because of the age.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back