Cooper zeon RS3-A made China...bummer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I put a set of Yokohama YK580 255 40/19s on my 5.0 '11 Mustang and was amazed at the road noise they made on asphalt surfaces. The Pirelli Pzero oem summer tires were toast, but were so much quieter than the 580s. Upgraded to Cooper Zeon RS3As, much better as far as the nasty road noise and the front end tracks a bit better. But, they are made in China!. Very small print on the sidewall. I was shocked. I put Chinese tires on my FORD for [censored] sakes. Everything I read said the 19" Zeons were made in US, wrong...[censored]...Oh Well. They sure do feel better than the Yoko's....Question, do the Chinese know how to build a 'Z' rated tire?..

I would have sprung for the Pilot Super Sports, as that's what is going on my car in the spring. They are supposed to be incredible, even better than the PS2's they replaced.

Don't worry, I'm sure they're just as good as a tire that says Made in USA on it.

Likely would be made in the same factory even.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RiceCake
Don't worry, I'm sure they're just as good as a tire that says Made in USA on it.

How can they be made in the same factory? Think about that statement for a second........

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
It doesn't matter if they were made in China.

Maybe, maybe not.

Sure, the Cooper name is on the product so you'd think that they would be in control of QC and end product specs....but it IS China where the level of graft and corruption in business is so great that it can effect western branded products made there. What I would be concerned about is the raw materials right after they are processed into valued added products, this is where the quality control could suffer most, even with a trusted brand manufacturer.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: RiceCake

How can they be made in the same factory? Think about that statement for a second........

I know, it was intentional
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: volk06
A Cooper tire made in CHINA? The inevitable has come, I've always bought cooper tires due to being made in the USA. I didnt know that some were made in China. Seems cooper tires are popular in China.
I found the info here:
http://coopertire.com/About-Us/Facilities/Manufacturing-Facilities.aspx

Heres a list of all the cooper brands and more info!
http://coopertire.com/About-Us/Our-Company.aspx

Yup:

Rongcheng, China
Cooper Chengshan(Shandong) Tire Company, Ltd.
No. 99 Qingshan West Road
Rongcheng, Shandong Province
China
Products: Tires

Kunshan, China
Cooper Kunshan Tire Co., Ltd.
168 Bailing Road
Japanese Industrial Park
Kunshan ETDZ
China
86-512-5772-7602
Products: Tires

They have TWO plants in China, three in the USA.

Quote:
In a December 2003 agreement, Cooper entered a joint venture with Kenda Rubber Industrial Company Ltd. for construction of a plant outside Shanghai, China, to produce radial passenger and light truck tires. Then, returning the company to its core business of tire manufacturing, Cooper in December 2004 completed the sale of its automotive business, Cooper-Standard Automotive, for approximately $1.165 billion. The sale included the forty-seven manufacturing facilities and operations of Cooper-Standard Automotive, which is a global manufacturer of fluid handling systems, body-sealing systems, and active and passive vibration control systems, primarily for automotive original equipment manufacturers.

The sale in turn provided new opportunities for growth. In January 2005, Cooper announced an agreement to buy an 11 percent interest in Kumho Tire. That month, the company also announced it was forming a new commercial division encompassing both Oliver Rubber Company and commercial tires. In October 2005 the company announced an agreement to obtain 51 percent ownership in China’s third largest tire manufacturer, Cooper Chengshan (Shandong) Passenger Tire Company Ltd. And Cooper Chengshan (Shandong) Truck Tire Company Ltd.

I just try my best to not pick a Communist currency-manipulator country to deal with when buying something.

Learned this today: Tubbs snowshoes: Shame, made in China now.

So I bought a pair that were made in Canada. I don't care if they aren't as good, they look fine. I don't mind buying Japanese stuff either. At least they are a bit fairer to deal with and really focus on quality.

Sorry to hear your disappointment about the Yokohamas. I have Yokohama IG-20s, and they are the best snow and ice tire I ever used.

I love Michelins, but 50% more? Ouch! I just couldn't make the leap at this time...Maybe next go'round...

Originally Posted By: ddtmoto
I love Michelins, but 50% more? Ouch! I just couldn't make the leap at this time...Maybe next go'round...

Well, they are an ultra-performance tire. There are other, less expensive options from Michelin that are priced lower.

I did have a set of Korean made Michelins that came oem on a Kia that were inferior to 'real' Michelins. Tough to trust anyone these days...

I wonder how much growth of China made tires is a result of the EPA regulations and how much is actual fiscal (i.e. cheaper labor) costs or a combination of the two.

It matters because that's one less employed American that could've purchased a product or service sold by your company or mine.

Originally Posted By: sky7

It matters because that's one less employed American that could've purchased a product or service sold by your company or mine.

I agree 100% with your post, but I was talking about the build quality of the tire construction and manufacturing process.

This tire thread (no pun intended) is similar to the carbon fiber bike thread on BITOG of a bike frame costing a ton of money made in China.

I forget who was the guy that posted about the Chinese bike frame...

Originally Posted By: sky7

I agree 100% with your post, but I was talking about the build quality of the tire construction and manufacturing process.

This tire thread (no pun intended) is similar to the carbon fiber bike thread on BITOG of a bike frame costing a ton of money made in China.

I forget who was the guy that posted about the Chinese bike frame...

That was me and my dad's expensive Cervello carbon. That's akin to buying Pilot Super Sport tires made in China if you wanted to draw a comparison.

This tire thread (no pun intended)...

No worries. There is no pun there. It's tire tread. Not tire thread.

What now? Grammar made in China? Chinese made puns?

Where does it end?

Why did you put the Yokos on your car in the first place?

They're LRR and are rated for 60,000 miles (the size I use are, not 100% sure about the others) so it doesn't surprise me that you thought they were noisy and didn't perform as well as what you took off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back