Fram Ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update: Both cars just started after sitting overnight. Temp at startup was 1.9°F. No dry startup noises on the GM 3800 w/4k on the filter, or the Toyota I4 with 11k re-use. Both running different brands of full syn 5w30. Both engines were consistent from startup, a little noisy from the valve train with minor ticks that went away after approx 5 mins.

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
I totally got it wrong. Glad I found out now before I really stepped on my crank.

Jay said:

"Jim
It is two layers. They can be very difficult to pull apart.

Jay Buckley
FramGroup
Fram Prestone Autolite
Technical Training Manager"

Thanks for the correction jim,ok two layers so are both layers synthetic? or a blend? and why two layers vs. one? for better dirt handling? did they mention anything along them lines? just trying to get a handle on this design.(curious)

It's definitely full synthetic and the layering is just a means for progressive density. Blended media looks more like a regular cellulose media... ala the P1 or M1 filters. AFAIK, blended media is always (or most commonly) moulded and doesn't need the wire backing for support.

It's definitely full synthetic and the layering is just a means for progressive density. Blended media looks more like a regular cellulose media... ala the P1 or M1 filters. AFAIK, blended media is always (or most commonly) moulded and doesn't need the wire backing for support.

Correct but i think XG was a blend with wire?

The last pre-Ulta XG was also a high mileage, high capacity synthetic media fitler but it's efficiency was slightly less... 99% at 25um. The specs used to be up at Fram, but I doubt they are still.

Originally Posted By: daman

Correct but i think XG was a blend with wire?

FYI ... "XG" is still the identifier of the ULTRA. Before the ULTRA, it was the "EXtended Guard" (hence the XG signifier). There have been media changes (for the better) with the ULTRA, as Jim has mentioned.

Originally Posted By: KevGuy
Same as an orange can, except it allows longer drain interval.

This has to win the award for the most absurd thing I have ever read on BITOG.

Hi,
I am the tech manager at FRAM. The Ultra media is still two ply, slightly different medai, up to 99% efficiency now . Its hard to see but you can peel the two layers apart. They are the same color so difficult to tell

Originally Posted By: Motorking
Hi,
I am the tech manager at FRAM. The Ultra media is still two ply, slightly different medai, up to 99% efficiency now . Its hard to see but you can peel the two layers apart. They are the same color so difficult to tell

Do you have any openings there? There's a certain guy on this site who is not an engineer, but works in "Chemical Engineering". He's a big OCOD fan. Please give him a job that requires lots of overtime and weekends. Just make sure he's not allowed to post while he's working on the job. Perhaps you could make him supervisor on the infamous Double Guard manufacturing line......

^^^ Is his first name "Kev" ...
lol.gif

Hi,

Thanks for the straight scoop!

I don't think he does the hiring though fellas.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Kruse
Hi,

Do you have any openings there? There's a certain guy on this site who is not an engineer, but works in "Chemical Engineering". He's a big OCOD fan. Please give him a job that requires lots of overtime and weekends. Just make sure he's not allowed to post while he's working on the job. Perhaps you could make him supervisor on the infamous Double Guard manufacturing line......
I think he was sniffing too many chemicals!!!

..... Do you have any openings there? There's a certain guy on this site who is not an engineer, but works in "Chemical Engineering". He's a big OCOD fan. Please give him a job that requires lots of overtime and weekends. Just make sure he's not allowed to post while he's working on the job. Perhaps you could make him supervisor on the infamous Double Guard manufacturing line......

lol.gif
Ah yes, the Double Guard can still be found on places like Amazon, ebay and Rock Auto to name few. Working in "chemical engineering" he might actually prefer the DG to the orange can.
shocked.gif
And, supervising that line could be right up his alley.
56.gif

Most people fall for the marketing claims about oil and filters instead of looking at the well established standardized/certified test results.

There are 12 separate individual ISO 4548 test sequences.

These tests are far more accurate than cutting a filter open and LOOKING at it without any understanding of what really makes a filter good or bad. Fram Filters are among the best in the industry when used as they're intended.

The same is true of oil and the ACEA and OEM oil service ratings (API service ratings are far too weak to be taken seriously - try to find an oil product that fails API approval)

Last edited:

The Ultra has little in common with the Xtra Guard (Orange can)

The orange can is a higher efficiency than typical OEM and WIX filters but has a fairly low capacity because it is intended for 3,000 - 5,000 mile service intervals. To achieve that high efficiency at a competitive price it uses a blended media, nitrile drain valve, bypass valve integrated in the leaf spring and fiber end caps. The end caps job is to hold glue and seal the media. The 95%+ efficiency at 20 microns (ISO 4548-12) is testimony to the success of both the endcaps and bypass valve in preventing any leakage around the media. In independent testing this filter typically performs even better thsat 95% but Fram only claims 95%. The Ultra replaces the Extended Guard and is a long life filter using high grade silicone rubber and steel components with steel reinforced douple layer (and treated) media. this is a far trickier and more expensive construction but is required to achieve the huge capacity without sacrificing filtrattion efficiency (97-99%).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: C2H5OH

The Ultra has little in common with the Xtra Guard (Orange can)

The orange can is a higher efficiency than typical OEM and WIX filters but has a fairly low capacity because it is intended for 3,000 - 5,000 mile service intervals. To achieve that high efficiency at a competitive price it uses a blended media, nitrile drain valve, bypass valve integrated in the leaf spring and fiber end caps. The end caps job is to hold glue and seal the media. The 95%+ efficiency at 20 microns (ISO 4548-12) is testimony to the success of both the endcaps and bypass valve in preventing any leakage around the media. In independent testing this filter typically performs even better thsat 95% but Fram only claims 95%. The Ultra replaces the Extended Guard and is a long life filter using high grade silicone rubber and steel components with steel reinforced douple layer (and treated) media. this is a far trickier and more expensive construction but is required to achieve the huge capacity without sacrificing filtrattion efficiency (97-99%).

Haven't been on in a while eh Kevin?

You are the author of this piece, are you not?

http://www.diagnosticnews.com/tech/vehicle-lubrication-basics/

You appear to have done a number of pieces for "Diagnostic News". Haven't had much of a chance to do much but skim them at this point however.

Why do you post here so rarely?

Also, you appear to have a rather impressive background:

Quote:
Kevin has worked in the automotive industry since 1974 as a Technician, Supervisor, Manager, Engineer, Trainer, Technical Writer and Editor. He has pioneered real world diagnostic techniques for OEM and independent technicians.

Hi,

I am an engineer.

Hi,

I am an engineer.

Then you should know a [censored] filter when you see one.

Originally Posted By: daman
Hi,

I am an engineer.

Then you should know a [censored] filter when you see one.

I am not a mechanical engineer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back