Drain Plug Torque Chart

Status
Not open for further replies.
back in the old days,60s, i did lot of plug experimenting, on chrysler "RB" and early hemis. they used a flat gasket seat. i found that stoping as soon as the gasket is crushed to stop there, i had no trouble.

My 72 Pontiac had a plastic washer that lasted until I sold the car in 1990. On the first OC for my 89 Accord I replaced the metal washer with a plastic one and it lasted ten years.

So, I guess I am not sure why all these mfrs went with metal washers. Was it because quick lube places were over tightening the plugs and cracking the plastic washers?

I have done thousands of oil changes. I have never used a torque wrench on any of them. I do like to use my little stubby 3/8" ratchet though. I think the handle on it is only 3" long. Never had a problem. Been working on aluminum case motorcycles for the last 35 years. You get a feel for when to stop.

Here is how my drain plug, that is original, looks like. I always hand tighten it, never changed the washer and the oil pan is aluminum. So I don't get where all of this worrying about aluminum pans, stripping threads and leaks comes from.
Someone's OCD is fine and dandy, but it doesn't mean that the "dangers" are there. It is the OCD that prevents many people from seeing that these things, that they perceive as critical, are in fact trivial.

2011-12-27120814.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: justinf89
Originally Posted By: Burt
Interesting that there is such variation between engines.

Yup, just take a look at my 6.6 duramax. I've never seen anything so high on a consumer vehicle...62 ft-lbs. And that's what I torque it at too.

Whats weird on those is they leak almost up until you get it completely torqued, Ive found. They really need it.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
My 72 Pontiac had a plastic washer that lasted until I sold the car in 1990. On the first OC for my 89 Accord I replaced the metal washer with a plastic one and it lasted ten years.

So, I guess I am not sure why all these mfrs went with metal washers. Was it because quick lube places were over tightening the plugs and cracking the plastic washers?

Plastic must have been better then or something. They turn brittle and crack within a couple changes in my experience. I dont trust them at all and threw all the ones I seen out. Even the vehicles that was the proper gasket for I substituted a rubber/metal hybrid gasket.

I have seen way too many stripped out aluminum oil pans to guess. If it means anything I was keeping 5 3.0L Duratech oil pans in stock and sold probably 10 a week for a span due to drain plugs stripping out.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Plastic must have been better then or something. They turn brittle and crack within a couple changes in my experience. I dont trust them at all and threw all the ones I seen out. Even the vehicles that was the proper gasket for I substituted a rubber/metal hybrid gasket.

Possibly, but the one I used on my Accord for ten years, until it cracked, came from one of those assorted "HELP" blister card packs. I eventually replaced the plug on the Accord with a Fram Sure Drain valve. It came with a copper washer that would not seal, period. I ultimately used on of my plastic washers on it and it was good for all the years afterward until I got rid of the car. The washer on my Fumoto valve that I just installed on the Mazda is some kind of fiber/plastic thing. I didn't have to make it terribly tight to form a good seal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back