Converting HB5/9007 to ECE R37

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking to convert the HB5/9007s on my Grand Marquis to bulbs that conform to ECE Regulation 37. The HB5/9007 appears to be North America only, designed to meet Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 108. Most bulbs available in this range appear to be long-life, appearance orientated bulbs (Sylvania Silver Stars come to mind) that don't produce as much light.

Has anyone done something similar before? Just wondering how I can go about doing this. Thanks!

Theoretically, you could make some sort of HB5/9007 adapter that holds an H1 bulb. But this probably wouldn't work well for light pattern, since the reflector housing was designed around the lighting properties of the 9007 bulb - bad as they may be. BUT, if you do figure this out, please do tell me, because I'd dump the garbage 9007's my Focus has in a heartbeat if there was somehow an alternative!

Find a Philips Xtreme Vision or Xtreme Power HB5, or a GE Nighthawk Platinum HB5. Will probably have to order off the internet and have it mailed to you. These are the best bulbs for this application.

Please don't try to fit a different bulb in the housing. The housing was designed for the bulb, and the optics of the housing assume a certain spatial location for the light source. Retrofitting a different bulb will not get you the results you are looking for.

There may be an "export" version of the headlamp housing, I'm not sure. If the HB5 is type approved in Europe, Ford may have been using that bulb over there, too.

The HB5 and H13 both have marginal optical qualities, and are designed for long life and low cost. The H13 is an evolution of the HB5 type, and does have longer life. The HB5 isn't good for much, really.

are we sure that this bulb does NOT meet ECE requirements? A family member has a 2000 Camry, which I believe has a 9005 / 9007 combo. I wonder if Euro Camrys have the same? In recent years auto regulations have gotten much more similar, although not identical. Let us know.

i've been reasonably pleased with the an HID /projector/ conversion I did recently in my tundra.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2789020&page=all

It's an improvement over what came out and I'm pleased with the results. In the 6 weeks I've had this, I've been flashed once when cresting a hill.

In terms of light distribution, minimal bleed, sharp and complete cutoff, it would be far better than a bulb job.

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
I'm looking to convert the HB5/9007s on my Grand Marquis to bulbs that conform to ECE Regulation 37. The HB5/9007 appears to be North America only, designed to meet Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 108. Most bulbs available in this range appear to be long-life, appearance orientated bulbs (Sylvania Silver Stars come to mind) that don't produce as much light.

Has anyone done something similar before? Just wondering how I can go about doing this. Thanks!

your best bet is a bixenon projector retrofit.

putting some other bulb with reflectors designed for 9007 isn't going to turn out well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back