TPMS light stays on...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a tire replaced on the back because of a puncture and they rotated one of the fronts to the back because of the tread. Now the TPMS light stays on. Do you think they may have damaged the monitor. Is there something I can do to fix it or should I just take it back and have them fix it?

If a TPMS reset and checking/leveling air pressure doesn't do anything, it's possible the tire monitor was damaged during the tire change over. If damaged most likely the unit will need to be replaced and there's nothing you could do. I'd take it back and let them check and fix the issue.

Sometimes it takes a few days for the sensors to reread a few times before resetting the light on some makes.

They want to make sure that whatever set it off is truly fixed.

Bill

What is your vehicle? TPMS systems vary drastically.

They could've damaged a sensor however most decent shops should have the proper training to know how to prevent damage.

Most likely though it just needs some time most systems take awhile to reset. Its a nice feature, then they aren't annoying you accidentally.

Its possible as well that they just didn't put the correct amount of air in or the rest of your tires are simply too far apart from the tire they put on. Decent shops will reset the TPMS sensors and check all tire pressures before sending you on your way, however this place may have skipped those steps.

Most systems wont set a light if you don't reset the sensor positions because they don't care. The purpose of resetting the positions is so that it can tell you which tire is low if it has that feature. Generally that is accomplished by some sort of random button pushing (ex. holding lock and unlock on key FOB with key on until horn beeps) then letting air out of each tire in a clockwise motion starting with drivers steer until horn beeps with the horn beeping twice on the final tire. However the tire shop that moved your tires around should've had a tool for resetting them instead which is much quicker.

Last edited:
A 2007 Trailblazer would be nearing the end of the life of the Li batteries in the sensors as well.

It isa important to differentiate between the TPMS light being on and the light first flashing, then staying on. Whereas coming on and staying on should indicate low tire pressure; an indicator flashing and then staying on would indicate a system fault such as from a damaged sensor.

That said, TrailBlazer is a GM product. The computer needs to be told which sensor is at which wheel position. After rotating the tires and setting the pressures it will see two tires as being underinflated and two tires overinflated unless the system is retrained. Retraining can be done in two minutes. Stop by the place that put the tire on. Don't let them charge you for doing it.

Most tire shops now have the tool to recalibrate/diagnose the TPMS. My local tire shop charged me $20 to re-sync my TPMS. My reset light wasnt accomplishing anything.

Originally Posted By: yonyon
It isa important to differentiate between the TPMS light being on and the light first flashing, then staying on. Whereas coming on and staying on should indicate low tire pressure; an indicator flashing and then staying on would indicate a system fault such as from a damaged sensor.

That said, TrailBlazer is a GM product. The computer needs to be told which sensor is at which wheel position. After rotating the tires and setting the pressures it will see two tires as being underinflated and two tires overinflated unless the system is retrained. Retraining can be done in two minutes. Stop by the place that put the tire on. Don't let them charge you for doing it.

Most shops charge a flat rate for calibration. That said, if your car had sensors and they never told you about calibration or did it, then you shouldnt have to pay.

Stupid me for assuming Discount Tire checked my tires and made sure they were filled to GM specs. Well today I checked them and the only one to spec was the new one they put on. The backs require 5 psi more than the fronts. And when they rotated them they never filled or relieved the tires. Anyway there to spec now and the TPMS light is out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back