My Molyslip E Experience: Just don't do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I got bitten by the additive bug back in Dec '04 and while shopping at my local Canadian Tire, I grabbed a small 800ml can of the MolySlip E additive to try out.

I had a friend that used it regularly and said it really helped out his fuel economy on his small 4cyl tracker so I decided to try it out.

I had a fresh fill of Esso XD3 0w30 synthetic and a Fram Extended Guard oil filter and said hey, what the **** , my engine has 130k miles on it, might as well try it out and see if it can help with my upcoming 1000mile Xmas trip to my parents seeing the 4.3L is never good on fuel in any situation, but every little bit helps. So I added it when I came out to my truck and all seemed to be well.

I went to the parents and back and did notice the oil pressure was starting to get higher and higher as I pushed more and more into the trip, nothing huge, but the oil pressure gauge was showing that the pressure was up a bit even when the engine was warmed up and had been running for over 200 miles.

Got home, parked the truck, went to bed and then went out to the truck the next day and started it up. It was about -10f out at the time.

Started up the truck and was faced with quite the loud cold startup knock which immediately sparked a huge concern seeing it has never done that before. The noise went away after 20 seconds, but still, I was not happy.

I knew it had to have something to do with the additive. It has been -25f out before and it has never done that.

Time for an oil change, I'm not going to risk it.

So I went to my local Canadian tire again, picked up another Fram Extended guard oil filter and a cheap Quaker state filter (made by Purolator), a quart bottle of engine flush, three quarts of cheap 10w30 oil and proceeded to take it for a 10 mile trip to warm up the oil.

Got back, put the truck up on the ramps, dropped the oil filter which is right behind the front bumper and on a remote oil filter assembly on my 1995 Blazer with a 4.3L.

I removed the oil filter and dumped it out into the oil drain pan and I kid you not, the oil coming out of it was borderline metallic grey which was almost the same color of the moly additive right out of the can. To say the least, I was concerned. My filter was plugged with moly.

I then proceeded to drop the oil out of the crankcase and again, the oil was dark grey, but not as metallic as the oil coming out of the filter.

I let it completely drain and poured a little oil down the fill tube to push out the remaining stuff in the crank case.

I then put the drain plug in, installed the cheap oil filter, the cheap 10w30 oil, and the engine flush and started up the truck and let it idle for 40 minutes so the flush could completely clear out all the moly in the system.

This is when I started to take photos.

I then again, removed the oil filter and drained the crank case.

-

This is what I found:

-

-

Again, the oil was extremely dark and full of moly and sludge and was extremely dark. I am not happy. This oil has 40 minutes on it and is darker and more sluged up than after a 5000 mile oil change.
mad.gif

-

-

Although this picture does not really show how bad it was totally, the oil going in 40 minutes ago was practically clean with no color. Extremely light golden brown.

So after finding this out, I proceeded to let it drain completely, then installed the Fram Extended guard oil filter and the 4 1/3 liters of Esso XD3 again and started it back up.

Oil pressure was back to normal, if not even lower, and the next day the temp dropped to -26f and I started the truck up and heard absolutely nothing.

So, what is the moral of the story?

Don't believe what your friends have told you and listen to the guys here when they state that this additive does more harm than good.

AVOID AT ALL COSTS, I SAW NO INCREASE IN FUEL ECONOMY AND ALL I GOT WAS A SLUDGED UP OIL SYSTEM.

[ March 05, 2005, 04:46 AM: Message edited by: BlazerLT ]

Some time ago there was discussion on MolySlip and like additives.

I suggested at that time that only 1/10 of a can be used as an oil additive since it is loaded with high levels of moly and other compounds.

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
Some time ago there was discussion on MolySlip and like additives.

I suggested at that time that only 1/10 of a can be used as an oil additive since it is loaded with high levels of moly and other compounds.

Yea, I read that, after this happened though.

I actually would recommend avoiding it altogether.

Just plugs up the filter.

Just a little FYI, i have been using the moly stuff at CT, for years and on about 15 cars....,
i use half a can at every second oil change,
and every car i have used it on , the MPG increased.,
M0S2, or hard moly is black, and that is why your oil came out jet black, on two oil changes.

i agree that for most applications one can is WAY too much moly,

also i do not work for the company, just a canuk who tries something different,
every car i have had, i have put over 150,000kms,
and i have used that moly-e-slip

im sure your oil filter was fine, i suggest you cut it open ?,

I've used molyslip, twice. I was concerned at first, too, but UOA showed that all is fine.

I wouldn't worry about the dark color of the oil. Oil is supposed to be black, because that is its natural state; and, the moly does add a dark greenish tan color to the oil, too.

Also, I agree with the poster above that half a can is more than enough per 4-5 quarts oil. I used a third last time, and the UOA came out very positive.

Winter is probably the wrong time to use this product, because MoS2 does not like moisture, which you tend to get in cold weather air and combustion.

The best time to use it might be summer/autumn, and I would use it with oils that already have moly carbomate additives, such as m1, napa 15w40, or valvline maxlife full synth.

You also may want to change your filter brand.

Are you sure that metallic in your oil is the moly additive and not bearing material?
shocked.gif

That oil looks just like my mechanic's wife's car's when she spun a couple rod bearings.

Ditto on the fitler. Never had any issue from any used purolator I've cut open. On any fram there was always something that seemed odd, not neccissarily the same each time.

Never had a problem with the engine before.

Add this stuff....

Cold Start knock...
High oil pressure...
Poor oil flow.....

I can say that the benefits don't outweigh the damage it could have done on my truck.

It ran like crap with this stuff in it.

AVOID

BlazerLT, Just so you know this is what happens with solid inorganic moly! If ever you rebuild an engine and use moly fortified EP grease on the build up you must change the oil and filter after the 20 minute run in. The moly from the moly fortified grease is also the inorganinc type and will plug up the oil filter just like you Moly-slip experince!

The proper type of moly as in organic moly would not have caused youany problems. Organic moly is soluble andis what modern engine oils use!

quote:

Originally posted by JohnBrowning:
BlazerLT, Just so you know this is what happens with solid inorganic moly! If ever you rebuild an engine and use moly fortified EP grease on the build up you must change the oil and filter after the 20 minute run in. The moly from the moly fortified grease is also the inorganinc type and will plug up the oil filter just like you Moly-slip experince!

The proper type of moly as in organic moly would not have caused youany problems. Organic moly is soluble andis what modern engine oils use!

Very true, I learned my lesson.

I just witnessed the guy that recommended this stuff and he changed his oil in fron of me and again, his filter was FULL of moly as well.

Crazy!
shocked.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back