Your internet speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Supposedly was suppose to go from 10Mb to 15 but have been getting as high as 30Mb. Only complaint is the upload. Looking at the messes on the pole I'm surprised we have connection at all. Should have google fiber by summer-ish and upgrading to the Gb connection over the free.

I wonder if there is a rule of thumb about this. Throughput alone doesn't mean too much other than POTENTIAL speed. It seems to me that internet traffic, server delays, and hardware capabilities (I am talking about my eleven year old "boat anchor" Pentium III here.) are key.

I have super high throughput here at the office according to the speed test site. It is three times, or better, what I have at home (Fios). Yet, when I want to pay bills on the Bank of America web site things are no better here than at home.

For most of us that don't own Cray supercomputers there is probably an upper limit on USEFUL throughput.

Think of it the same way you would think about driving a Ferrari on I35 in Dallas at 5:30pm. My Mazda 3 is just as useful in that situation.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
I have super high throughput here at the office according to the speed test site. It is three times, or better, what I have at home (Fios). Yet, when I want to pay bills on the Bank of America web site things are no better here than at home.

Browsing a banking website requires very little bandwidth. That's why you don't notice much difference.

Now try downloading a 2GB video file from a fast server and see how long it takes you at each location (home and office).

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Browsing a banking website requires very little bandwidth. That's why you don't notice much difference.

Now try downloading a 2GB video file from a fast server and see how long it takes you at each location (home and office).

Exactly. For example, in my case, higher internet helps. Why? Because we have 4 laptops, 3 smartphones, and 3 desktops that are always on. On a typical day we will have...

-Netflix Streaming on the smartTV in living room
-Crunchyroll streaming on my laptop
-Brother playing Minecraft/Tribes Ascend with Skype/Teamspeak on his desktop
-Sister watching youtube videos on her laptop
-Mom on facebook and playing World of warcraft on her laptop
-My desktop playing MMO Planetside 2 with teamspeak.

All simultaneously. Faster internet in our case is immensely helpful.

Not to mention if my brother wants to upload a video of him playing minecraft to youtube, it's much faster with 5mb/s upload vs 2mb/s.

Or if I want to redownload my entire steam library, or download a game, it will go much faster at 6.25MB/s vs 2.2MB/s (50mbps vs 20mbps)

Good point, Pete! Even my old computer can take advantage of the super download speed I get from Verizon. I guess I never noticed much regarding those huge files because I don't do much downloading. That computer has a 40 gig HDD that is three quarters empty. I built it in January of 2002 and it is still usable for everything but high quality streaming video. It used to do OK with that until I was forced to install Windows XP. I had been running Windows 2000 on it for a long time, but every few years I was pretty much forced into clean installs due to some file becoming corrupted. When I did the clean install in 2011 it just didn't make sense to continue with Win 2000.

I was going to rebuild or replace it this year, but ended up getting a tablet instead because all I was lacking was a good "internet appliance" for streaming video.

I guess I never noticed much regarding those huge files because I don't do much downloading.

Yup. Let's be honest, many households can get by on a 2 Mbps (D/L) connection without any issues. It'll allow them to do almost everything including email, web browsing, youtube watching, home banking, etc. And if it takes them 15 min instead of 1.5 min to download a 200 MB file, it's not exactly the end of the world. The only thing that they may not be able to do is HD video streaming.

HD streaming is the only reason we're going for the gigabit.. right now it's choppy if it even works. Price wise versus cable can't compete. The best thing I did for our internet was having a in-house DNS server for normal usage.

Eric, your current 27 Mbps connection should be plenty fast for HD streaming. If it's not working right, then the problem is elsewhere (the source of the stream or the hardware/software being used to play it).

Also, in-house DNS? What exactly do you need it for? With so many free and reliable DNS providers out there, why would you try to make your own?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Eric, your current 27 Mbps connection should be plenty fast for HD streaming. If it's not working right, then the problem is elsewhere (the source of the stream or the hardware/software being used to play it).

Also, in-house DNS? What exactly do you need it for? With so many free and reliable DNS providers out there, why would you try to make your own?

Pretty much. Even on my previous 20mbps connection I could stream 1080p video just fine. It's probably more likely to be your computer which can't handle 1080p playback, than the internet connection itsef.

Actually I'll admit haven't tried it with the newer connection with 10 it was choppy. The connection varies quite a bit. By running dig searches are less than 1 ms versus 60+ ms using Time Warner's DNS.. granted I might be thinking of it wrong but clicks on our commonly used websites are almost instant.

Originally Posted By: Eric Smith
HD streaming is the only reason we're going for the gigabit.. right now it's choppy if it even works. Price wise versus cable can't compete. The best thing I did for our internet was having a in-house DNS server for normal usage.

Are you using Google Chrome by any chance?

I asked the question about Chrome because I had "stuttering" video (mostly the audio portion) and I found a way, through an online search, to fix it. After months of not being able to play video on this old machine I now can. Full HD is still out of the question simply due to the hardware (1.2GHz PIII, 512MB RAM) but, I can at least play the occasional YouTube video without having to break out the tablet.

If you want or need the procedure PM me.

Thanks.. that's what I thought you were referring to. Didn't know if it was Chrome or the machine itself. Chrome has alot of room for improvement. Not much of a issue anymore since we replaced the Linux box and the mac mini can handle HD easily and I mirror it with whatever the Apple TV can't do. Saying that I think I just had [censored] old equipment the connection probably was ok!

Finally, so happy
smile.gif

2420889104.png

I just got a new router:
3070822499.png

I'm pretty jazzed, as now there's no more stuttering on Netflix. I have pretty poor range on the 5g band, as I'm on a different floor than the router-on ethernet it's even faster.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
It's freakin' awesome is what it is, LOL!!!

I have only seen speeds like that when I was at the university at an ungodly hour with no one else using bandwidth. Then, there are some majorly quick downloads!

How long is it supposed to take to "find best server based on ping" ?

I'm up to 2 minutes so far...is that fast ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back