Repair vs Replace Bumper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Earlier today, I was "tapped" in traffic, which resulted in dents from the other vehicle's front license plate.

Since I was around the corner from a very reputable body shop, I stopped by and had them write me an estimate. Their opinion was that the bumper cover should be repaired, primed, completely repainted and re-clearcoated. They use Glasurit products at this shop.

I did not expect the estimator to suggest repainting the entire bumper; I thought the proper repair was to only spray the repaired area and blend the paint into the rest of the bumper. We'll see what the insurance adjuster's estimate says.

2024C41C-CF90-4244-89C8-9096A9E9FDDB-9183-0000056E3EFADFD7.jpg

The estimator also said that the cost difference between a new bumper and a repaired bumper would be between $100-$200 depending on the insurance adjuster's estimate.

Practically speaking, what is the difference between a properly repaired and prepped bumper and a new bumper, after the two have been sprayed?

Also, if anyone has any recs on a good body shop in the Silicon Valley area, feel free to post it or PM me.

Thanks!

I just spent 3K getting some scratches fixed from a parking lot "incident", so I don't see this being out of line for good work.

With regards to the bumper, is the new bumper OEM or aftermarket? If aftermarket, I'd stick with repairing your OEM bumper.

Wow, got any pics of the damage? I guess those are CA prices and it is 2012, but [censored].

I'd be a little worried about a repaired bumper cover cracking later on. With a new OEM cover that wouldn't be a concern unless it gets hit again. The only plastic bumper cover I've replaced was on a Montero Sport my cousin owned. It was a couple years old at the time and he bought an already painted OEM bumper.

Will post pictures tomorrow after I run it through the tunnel wash.

I replaced my grandmother bumper.

Found one in a junk yard, and pulled it myself for $20. Bought so scotchbrite, sandable primer, ordered some colormatched paint and a rattlecan clear coat. Total invested was $70. With alot of polishing it looks like a brand new bumper!

+1 randomhero

Personally I'd just enjoy the scuffed bumper as something less to worry about and keep an eye out for a bumper at a junk yard.

I would then bring it to a good painter that can really match the paint to the OEM color and nobody would ever know.

Maybe you can find a car that is the same color? Maybe there is still matching to do I am not sure how painting really works and if it would look the same if you just stuck on a bumper from a car that was the same model year and color.

Someone once told me there is nothing more fun than a 5 year old car (up here in the rust belt with tons of icy conditions and fender benders).

A bad repair of an oem bumper is going to crack paint and chip off more readily than a primed and painted aftermarket. IF this WAS your fault id try to get some luck on a oem takeoff part from a wrecking yard. Grey or silver? I bet readily available too. Since you got hit, its really up to individual shops and how they do prep and mixing work.

insurance will quote you cost to repair/repaint the bumper.

If you want a new bumper you would have to pay out of pocket to the bodyshop the difference OR see if the body shop can push for a new bumper, sounds like very minor damage so most likely NOT. That new bumper will most likely be a aftermarket brand because the car is a common car ( i think you drive a prius or Fit).

I went thru this on my G35 recently, they just repaired it. I pushed HARD for a bumper because well i knew my bumper wasn't all the great to begin with.

My 2001 Cadillac STS was backed-in to in a parking lot once. The body shop (True 2 Form) replaced the bumper cover completely and re-painted it, for about $600. The paint matched the other panels perfectly, which impressed me because it was the three-stage "White Diamond" paint. I was highly satisifed with the work.

Try to get an OE bumper one way or another.

IDK if priusii have the full line of colors available or if you have to get a primer one and paint it.

That body shop quote is heavy on the labor... so the profit is all theirs. If a new cover is pennies more but they don't get to paint it... you get my drift.

Nothing wrong with a properly repaired bumper it is done everyday.

In some ways it may be better that a new one [even OEM] because you wont have to worry about adhesion to the substrate.

Bumpers almost never match from the factory, and Toyotas are notorious for not matching. A bumper isn't really large enough in all directions to spot and blend, it is easier to just paint the whole thing and be done with it. (Procedure guides also say the blend calculation is only to be used on undamaged panels, so it would be customary in most markets to allow full refinish time to color match within the panel.) Regardless of whether the color is spotted and blended the entire panel has to be cleared or the clear blend will eventually show.

VERY few OEM body parts come finished.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
Take the cash and wait for it to get hit again.

Use caution here. Some insurance companies/policies are pickier than others are about "pre-existing" damage. Some may not repair something that's already been damaged and the ACV has been paid out, even if it's damaged again. I'm not saying that you're likely to get stuck in that situation, I'm simply advising to examine the terms of your policy before proceeding down this path.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

Use caution here. Some insurance companies/policies are pickier than others are about "pre-existing" damage. Some may not repair something that's already been damaged and the ACV has been paid out, even if it's damaged again. I'm not saying that you're likely to get stuck in that situation, I'm simply advising to examine the terms of your policy before proceeding down this path.

Agreed however this sounds like dents not cracked.

Originally Posted By: Falken
Personally I'd just enjoy the scuffed bumper as something less to worry about and keep an eye out for a bumper at a junk yard.

Great advice by these two.

Bumpers are there to get dinged up and take minor scrapes. Don't replace it unless necessary.

Did you get a police report? Technically, since the other person hit you from the rear, it is their fault for not maintaining control.

Wouldn't it prevent your insurance rates from going up if the accident was proven to be the other persons fault? (Our no-fault in MI might be different than yours).

Best of luck with your repair. I almost dread buying a new car anymore since it is so hard to keep them nice.

Originally Posted By: scurvy
Originally Posted By: Falken

Great advice by these two.

Bumpers are there to get dinged up and take minor scrapes. Don't replace it unless necessary.

+1

For $800 you can purchase HOW MANY "5+ Quart & Filter" oil changes @ AZ or O'R's?

I actually put a BUMPER STICKER over a scrape in the paint on one of my cars and it was FREE!

Cheers!

p.s. I won't tell you what it says because it could possibly be construed as having a political or (anti)social aspect that MIGHT offend some individual (or group of individuals... GASP!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back