On cold mornings my Hyundai...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would also guess PS fluid. Your car came with Hyundai PSF 2 or 3. It is hard to find that now as most dealers only stock PSF 4.

There is a tsb out there about changing from 3 to 4. My 2011 came with 3 and I just changed mine over to redline PSF. After hours or research, it appears that redline is closest synthetic formula to the old non synthetic hyundai PSF 3. No moaning from car at below 0 so far, but the real cold stuff has yet to happen.

If it was my car, I should just switch to a synthetic PSF like hyundai PSF 4 or redline.

I'm also thinking something with the power steering might be causing the noise. Get a Turkey Baster and try swapping out the fluid, a little at a time until you do a complete exchange with a good synthetic PS fluid spec'd for your car.

So, I have some MaxLife ATF left over...can I clean out the reservoir and use that instead of buying the P/S?

Originally Posted By: zerosoma
As long as it's under 40 degrees or so, no matter what kind of oil I put in it or filter, if I start it up, and drive it off (regardless if it has been warmed up or not), it makes a RRRRRMMMMM engine noise along with the normal engine sound, we joke it sounds like an old man who doesn't want to get out of bed in the morning. It's not especially loud but I can hear it while driving with the radio off.

It hasn't been bad enough to warrant much concern, but I was wondering what this could be? The more I accellerate the more pronounced it is but then goes away after awhile.

Thoughts?
my kia sorento does the same thing. dont worry about it. once this POS engine blows up you'll be happy. yes i hate this v6 that much.

Originally Posted By: Tim H.
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Could be power steering..........

+1 Hyundai power steering pumps are notorious for the whine/grrr noise. There is a TSB on it iirc. Apparently tgere is a small filter mesh in the bottom of the resovour that gets clogged and causes this. Usually louder in cooler weather when the PS fluid if thicker.

Hyundai/Kia did switch to a synthetic PSF around 2006-07 to supposedly stop the cold start issue. IIRC, it's called Hyundai PSF3. It was changed to PSF4 in 2008. As far as I know it's an OEM only fluid, but I've read of owners swapping it out completely with higher end aftermarket PSFs without any issue.

Joel

Originally Posted By: sasha
As long as it's under 40 degrees or so, no matter what kind of oil I put in it or filter, if I start it up, and drive it off (regardless if it has been warmed up or not), it makes a RRRRRMMMMM engine noise along with the normal engine sound, we joke it sounds like an old man who doesn't want to get out of bed in the morning. It's not especially loud but I can hear it while driving with the radio off.

It hasn't been bad enough to warrant much concern, but I was wondering what this could be? The more I accellerate the more pronounced it is but then goes away after awhile.

Thoughts?
my kia sorento does the same thing. dont worry about it. once this POS engine blows up you'll be happy. yes i hate this v6 that much.

sorry you feel that way. i really like my hyundai... and its V6 :)

btw i picked up some max life p/s fluid, checked the reservoir and the fluid is brown. oops. time for a change!

Originally Posted By: skyship

You must be joking, as I can't believe a main manufacturer is dictating 3K oil changes unless they are using used oil from other cars!

My 2011 Hyundai Sonata has a recommended normal oil change interval of 7,500 miles, or a recommended severe oil change interval of 3,750 miles. And basically "severe" means getting in and turning the key. I get the oil changed every 4,000 miles, and the dealer uses bulk 5W-20.

ive had the synpower in for 3k and the oil on dipstick is dark. sure thats not a big deal but it still bothers me

ive had the synpower in for 3k and the oil on dipstick is dark. sure thats not a big deal but it still bothers me

Be happy... The Oil is doing its job well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back