Walmart Fuel System(?) / Injector Service

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I went in to Walmart for the Fuel System Cleaning service.

When I asked for the Fuel System service, the technician asked "Fuel Injector service" and I said yes, not thinking much about the difference in wording.

So I watched the technician with brief interruptions and also went out to talk to him to ask what he was using.

He had put in Valvoline fuel injector cleaner into the tank after attaching the canister to the underside of the hood.

When he showed me the bottle and I asked what did he use in the engine compartment, he said he used the same thing.

I had missed watching him entirely so did not witness exactly what he did up front except to see him screwing a canister onto the apparatus he had attached to the underside of the good.

So I'm wondering if he used just a single bottle of Valvoline fuel injector cleaner for both the air intake and the tank.

And I'm wondering whether Walmart have downgraded the service from using something stronger ie fuel system cleaner to the weaker fuel injector cleaner

The paperwork reads "Fuel Injector Service"

The vehicle has improved performance though. Not as dramatic as when I cleaned the TB and used PEA cleaner a couple of times but it seems to have gotten rid of a "scraping" type noise I heard during harder acceleration.

You want the service where they connect a can of cleaner to the schrader valve on the fuel rail, and run the car at idle off of that for 5 mins or so. Usually these kits also follow up with an in tank cleaner and throttle body cleaner.

What kind of car? Rarely do injectors need cleaned if quality fuels have been used.

Its a kit with a Can of intake cleaner, which screws onto the setup which meters it into a vacuum line. It also includes a separate bottle that goes into the tank.

Exactly, though they call it injector service, they run it through the air intake. This is what I wanted done because all the short trips had created lots of carbon and I had only cleaned the throttle body and the combustion chamber.

The fuel injector cleaning that they do is done through the tank additive. This part I wasn't interested in as I have a stash of PEA cleaner already

The point of my post was

1) They call it fuel injector service now not fuel system cleaning service
2) They use Valvoline fuel injector cleaner in the tank
3) I don't know for sure what they used through the air intake. The tech suggested it was also the Valvoline fuel injector cleaner
4) I'm wondering whether they have downgraded the service by using fuel injector cleaner in both air intake and tank and this is reflected in the name change of the service to fuel injector service

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Why would you let Wal-Mart touch your car?

Inquiring minds want to know!
eek.gif

Believe it or not, this is an ok Walmart, and I watched them.

Additionally, this is a pretty safe operation that I can check afterwards ie did they put the hose back correctly.

Yep, have had no issues with service at WM TLE in my area....still has some of the original employees since 4+ years ago....which is a good sign (they aren't disposable, fly by nighters.....etc....whatever you wanna call them) in my opinion.

But yes, they previously used a GumOut 2-Step Fuel System Cleaning, which was actually prettty much the same thing as the new Valvoline.....only the Valvoline is said to be a "No Smoke" Cleaner.....which I didn't quite understand......and well, my neglected 1988 Dodge K, it had it smoke alright
wink.gif
LOL.....stunk really bad as well too......which I was kind of surprised....since I am fairly consistent with FIC, tank doses, etc.......typically use Berryman's CHEMTOOL once a year, and MMO every tank or so.....with varying dose amounts....

So yea, I was quite surprised with the carbon/smoke coming out of the tail pipe.

Whole process took about 30 minutes.....I got it done as a combo, where they do the Fuel Injector Cleaning, then did a High Mileage Oil Change afterwards, for 40$.....so I saved about 20$ (HM oil change is typically $40 alone......and the Fuel Injector Cleaning is $20)...

Was happy with the service.....but yes, they hook up the apparatus through the PCV valve, or other vacuum line. And then pour the other bottle through the fuel tank, so they kind of "meet in the middle" at the fuel injectors, and clean up the intake, etc....

It does sound like a fuel system cleaning as they really are not doing any strong cleaning thru the actual fuel rail and injectors. They should not call this a fuel injector cleaning service. Rip off to me.

You could do what they did yourself for $5 and 5 minutes with a can of intake cleaner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back