I want to find oil for TOYOTA Land-Cruiser 80

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the best thing to do then is to get a good stash of high quality oils whenever you come across them.

I know that Chinese quality is sometimes not the best in manufactured goods. Their clothing is good, but some other stuff, like tools and shoes, can be second-rate. With motor oil, if cheap quality comes with a cheap price, you will gain no benefit and might get damage.

If you could get Japanese oils via some supplier in Japan or South Korea who does business in Vladivostok that might be your most economical bet.

I have no idea if Russia sells much military surplus items or if they did and the supply dried up. But for a 1980 diesel vehicle, is that a possibility?

I was thinking this because once, when the Cold War ended, Southern California had a huge aerospace industry that was closing shop, and there were surplus stores where you could get incredible stuff, it was so cheap that they almost gave it away. Most of those supplies are gone here now, but in Russia, I do not know.

Strongly big difference in the price of oil to the U.S.. Price in our shops;
Mobil Delvac 5w-40 - 1l=16.07 usd,
Mobil New Life 0w-40 - 1l=22 usd,
Chevron Delo400 5-40 - 1l=11.30 usd
Toyota 5w-30 OEM CF-4 RV - 1l=10 usd
Valvolin DuraBlend diesel 5w-40 - 1l=12.5usd

Military developments such as additives in oil. I do not use them. Many of the city where the military part, declined. The mentality of the people of another, do not want to get better. The huge difference between cities, Moscow and Vladivostok, youth often travels to China, Vietnam or Thailand than in Moscow. We strongly away from the center or problems so we do not care about them.
Moscow - is money, and Vladivostok - survival. But for what we import cars from Japan and we do not take our car industry =)

Japanese oil are ENEOS, IDEMITSU Zepro, but I'm not sure that they are guaranteed with Japanese quality.
And so it is, Mobil, Shell, Valvoline, rare representatives of Chevron and PetraCanda. The shops recommend universal oil but I do not trust them. We will post oil testing: Mobil 3000 5w-40 , New Life 0w-40
I was hoping to simplify your search results by adopting tolerances MB229.3/229.5 but they both realized for petrol engines

By "universal oil" you mean GOST oils? I would not use it either, it has low additive levels compared to modern oils.
If You want to keep things simple, I would by all means use a MB228.3 or 228.5 oil.

Charlie

I talked about oils API SM / CF, GOST is outdated. Of MB 228.3 and 228.5, can be ordered Lukoil Avantgarde Professional 10W-40 and LUKOIL AVANTGARDE Professional 5W-30.
Available expensive Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40. And perhaps Shell Rimula R6 ME 5W-30. That's it.
Chevron ordered but I can refuse.

Last edited:
Why don't you just use the Lukoil 5W30 for winter or year around, if you drive a lot of miles use the 10W40 in the warm season. MB228.5, ACEA E4/E7 is a very high specification. How much is it per L?

Charlie

Originally Posted By: m37charlie
Why don't you just use the Lukoil 5W30 for winter or year around, if you drive a lot of miles use the 10W40 in the warm season. MB228.5, ACEA E4/E7 is a very high specification. How much is it per L?

Charlie

The oil is to be found in the city, who sells more that can be sold only to transport companies. Lukoil 10-40 1L=7usd

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rfractal

Wow. And I jump for joy when PP goes on sale for 22 bucks a jug from 40. We Canadians pay double for oil that Americans do.
If I could get red-line or rp for 7-10 a quart I'd never use anything but ever again.

Prices vary from store to store very much. It all depends on greed seller.
Originally Posted By: Clevy

Wow. And I jump for joy when PP goes on sale for 22 bucks a jug from 40. We Canadians pay double for oil that Americans do.
If I could get red-line or rp for 7-10 a quart I'd never use anything but ever again.
Prices vary from store to store very much. It all depends on greed seller. I'm looked not at the dime store/
I will keep looking. While only Korean oil "Zic" and "Eneos" available right in the store.

Last edited:
If you can't buy a reasonable amount of Lukoil my next choice would be the Mobil Delvac 1 5W40, excellent all season oil for you.

Charlie

Why are you against Chevron Delo 400? today near my second home temperature -34.6F.

I'll try to find a cargo of oil, Lukoil, Delvac, Rimula or Rotella (MB228.5 (3) E4/E7). If they will not, fill in with Chevron Delo 400 syntetic 0w-30, in the summer of 5w-40 or Mobil New Life 0w-40. Korean oil does not inspire confidence. According to Japanese (Takumi, Verity) is too little information.

I'm not anti Delo 400
But the Delvac 1 or Lukoil Avantgarde 228.5 oils have a higher TBN and I don't think your fuel is ultra low sulfur yet.

Charlie

Originally Posted By: m37charlie
I'm not anti Delo 400
But the Delvac 1 or Lukoil Avantgarde 228.5 oils have a higher TBN and I don't think your fuel is ultra low sulfur yet.

Charlie

Thank you Charlie! I think if you change the oil at 7500 km, the TBN is not much to fall. The chevron is approved CI-4, written in the PDS.

79 BJ40 Landcruiser - beautiful car.
http://www.land-cruiser.ru/index.php?showtopic=113947&st=25

Originally Posted By: randomhero439
I want to find oil for TOYOTA Land-Cruiser 80 with 1HD-FT engine. Winter temperature -35, and in the summer is +40. The machine is used on the road and off-road. On the market it is difficult to find a Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 or Mobil Delvac 5w-40, and the high price.
Can I use in the summer of 5w-40?
The choice is such a Mobil Super 3000 5W40 , ZIC 5w40, Shell HELIX HX 7 5W40.
Can look at the MB229.3 and 229.5,?

With that temperature extreme, look for a 0w-40 oil. Shell Helix HX7 is great, so is Helix Ultra. Stick with a synthetic for these temps.

The engine oil folks recommend a 0W grade oil below minus 25C, so unless you have an engine pre heater or warmish garage this is a case for a 0/40 fully synthetic. You get what you pay for, so stick to an oil from Castrol, Liqui Moly, Mobil or Shell, as they all make top quality oils. You could use a cheaper conventional 10/40 in summer if you do 2 changes per year.
Don't guess at which oil to use, just pick a major brand and check their oil finder site, but if it says something silly for the viscosity, check the dot uk version of the site and that will list the correct oil and give a max OCI figure. Some oil companies have removed OCI advice from the US version of their web sites due to being forced into following the fuel economy directives.

Originally Posted By: skyship
Originally Posted By: randomhero439
I want to find oil for TOYOTA Land-Cruiser 80 with 1HD-FT engine. Winter temperature -35, and in the summer is +40. The machine is used on the road and off-road. On the market it is difficult to find a Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 or Mobil Delvac 5w-40, and the high price.
Can I use in the summer of 5w-40?
The choice is such a Mobil Super 3000 5W40 , ZIC 5w40, Shell HELIX HX 7 5W40.
Can look at the MB229.3 and 229.5,?

Next week, the official representative bring Chevron Delo 400 Synthetics 0w30 and 5w40. I think now pour 0w30, and in the summer 5w40. For the price / quality. The pre-heater in the engine no, frosts are not so often anymore-32C. So far, touch on this choice.

With that temperature extreme, look for a 0w-40 oil. Shell Helix HX7 is great, so is Helix Ultra. Stick with a synthetic for these temps.

Next week, the official representative bring Chevron Delo 400 Synthetics 0w30 and 5w40. I think now pour 0w30, and in the summer 5w40. For the price / quality. The pre-heater in the engine no, frosts are not so often anymore-32C. So far, touch on this choice.
The engine oil folks recommend a 0W grade oil below minus 25C, so unless you have an engine pre heater or warmish garage this is a case for a 0/40 fully synthetic. You get what you pay for, so stick to an oil from Castrol, Liqui Moly, Mobil or Shell, as they all make top quality oils. You could use a cheaper conventional 10/40 in summer if you do 2 changes per year.
Don't guess at which oil to use, just pick a major brand and check their oil finder site, but if it says something silly for the viscosity, check the dot uk version of the site and that will list the correct oil and give a max OCI figure. Some oil companies have removed OCI advice from the US version of their web sites due to being forced into following the fuel economy directives.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back