VW Passat oil question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, my buddy just picked up his first car, a 2003 Passat 2.8L V6. He wants to know if he can use conventional oil in it as opposed to a more expensive Mobil 1 0w40 or similar. If so, what are some good choices? the car has 79K. Thanks!

He can probably use mineral if he's going to change it more frequently. Any name brand 5w-30 should work.

But technically, he should be using an oil that meets the VW 502.00 spec. No mineral oil that I know of meets this spec.

Also, if you figure you can run longer OCI on synthetic and that synthetic provides better lubrication during very cold start-ups, it's really a no-brainer. Use synthetic and don't even think twice about it. He's not saving anything by running mineral.

He should use the M1 0w40. It's one of the best oils out there and it meets VW specs. It's also fairly widely available.

Well this is a fairly complicated engine and I don't think anything but the best quality synthetic oil should really be used in it.

Does he know if it runs the flexible service schedule or the fixed one?

Not big on petrol Passats but I seem to remember being told that the later 2.8 v6 was different to the earlier VR6 engine.

Not sure on that one though.

Back to the car.

Fuchs, Castrol and Mobil suggest Synthetic only is sufficient.

Fuchs may be the best bet as it is a popular brand with the VeeDub fraternity in the UK.

Viscosity seems to be relatively flexible.

5w30, 5w40, 0w40 and even 10w40 are specced.

Liqui Moly spec 5w30 and 0w30 for the flexible/long life schedule.

I would be comfortable running a decent synthetic oil up to 7500 or so, would certainly last longer but hey, everybody needs a hobby!

I would be very wary about putting dino in this engine.

1.8t VW engine didn't have a reputation as an engine hard on oil causing sludge that I ever heard. And such things do to round the trade as nobody wants to buy a "wrong un".

Best to use the proper oil. At this point it is not really that much more for Mobil 1 at Walmart. 0W40 is probably the best choice for all weather. I had one of these new in 2002. It really was not that picky about oil and I used many oils that were not VW approved and it did fine. What does need to be done is the timing belt which is not cheap and is a very big job but can not be ignored. The 2.8 in the passat is the same engine that is in the Audi cars and is the 30 Valve, not the VR6 that came in the Jettas. The passat is a nice car but can be a total disaster and nightmare if not maintained properly with either engine. Oh and that engine takes 6 quarts of oil not 5 so if done at home make sure it gets full.

If he wants to go conventional, at least use a high mileage version such as Valvoline Maxlife or Quaker State "Defy", both red bottles. Winter use 5W-30. These have better base oils and additives, and I have had good results using in place of full synthetics in older, out of warranty german cars, when owner does not want to use full syn or do 10 or 15k mile oil changes. I would limit to around 7500 miles, depending on type of driving. These 2 oils are actually synthetic blends. Here in hot weather we use up to 10W-40.

That being said, get M1 0W-40 on sale with a good filter and go 10k miles or 1 year under most driving conditions. Should not cost much more at all.

Originally Posted By: bmwtechguy
If he wants to go conventional, at least use a high mileage version such as Valvoline Maxlife or Quaker State "Defy", both red bottles. Winter use 5W-30. These have better base oils and additives, and I have had good results using in place of full synthetics in older, out of warranty german cars, when owner does not want to use full syn or do 10 or 15k mile oil changes. I would limit to around 7500 miles, depending on type of driving. These 2 oils are actually synthetic blends. Here in hot weather we use up to 10W-40.

That being said, get M1 0W-40 on sale with a good filter and go 10k miles or 1 year under most driving conditions. Should not cost much more at all.

How do you know high mileage oils have better base stocks?

The two I mentioned have some measure of group 3 because they are synthetic blends. That's how I know it is better than a straight conventional oil with no group 3.

Originally Posted By: bmwtechguy
The two I mentioned have some measure of group 3 because they are synthetic blends. That's how I know it is better than a straight conventional oil with no group 3.

Ah, I understand what you meant now. At first it sounded like all high mileage oils had better base stocks. There are a few conventional HM oils out there yet.

Originally Posted By: renegade_987
Hey guys, my buddy just picked up his first car, a 2003 Passat 2.8L V6. He wants to know if he can use conventional oil in it as opposed to a more expensive Mobil 1 0w40 or similar. If so, what are some good choices? the car has 79K. Thanks!

By 2003 VW had specified 502.00 for most gasoline models. I would highly recommend using a 502.00 oil. While the 30v 2.8 is not has hard on oil as the 1.8t, following the manufacturers recommendation can not hurt. IIRC change intervals were 5000 miles for 502.00 oil. 503.01 was the long drain spec. M1 0w-40 and GC 0w-30 meet both specs so a 7500 OCI would seem reasonable if the engine is in good health.

As mentioned above, check to see if the timing belt has been done. The 30v engines are interference and machine work is very expensive on those heads. It is very easy to pull a timing cover off to inspect the belt. Usually the belt is ok, it is one of the idler pulleys that fail. If the timing belt needs to be done, change everything! You only want to do this job once, so do it properly. The V6 can be tricky to do a timing belt on. Some places like BlauParts and ECSTuning will let you rent the special tools to do the job. If you want to tackle the job yourself, go to Passat World forums under the B5 platform, there are tons of write-up on timing belt changes, and what you need to do the job properly. If you take it in, expect to pay $900-1300 for the timing belt change.

I would also suggest using OEM VW oil filters which your friend can buy from the dealer. It has the correct bypass valve pressure and features an anti drain-back valve.

Originally Posted By: renegade_987

As had been said before

VW502.00 spec or VW504.00 spec

there are plenty of reasonably priced 502.00 oils out there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back