2008 Honda CRV - External trans filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My SIL has an 08 CRV - 2.4 engine. Never had atf changed and is not car savvy or maintenance caring except for oil changes. So my Christmas present to her is an atf change in 3 -4 stages. I know the 07 Civic 1.8 has an external trans filter under the cowl since my daughter has one and I have changed it.

Call to Honda service reveals total ignorance of filter on 07 Civic (absolute "No" from them even though I cited the page in the FSM) and total perplexment about 08 CRV. Sorry no FSM to consult and car not here now.

So does 08 CRV 2.4 have an external filter?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
The Accord 2.4 5spd auto has an external filter, part number 25430-PLR-003 that is mounted to the top of the transmission on one of the cooler lines. I would think the CRV is the same. Cost was about $15.

Yeah, it does. On the 2003, you have to pull off the splash shield underneath. I'm not sure about access on the next gen, but it does use the same filter, PN# 25430-PLR-003.

If I had it to do over again, I'd use a Magnefine filter. I cut the Honda filter open and it looked really janky, and tiny paper element without much media. It looked more like it was designed to last forever than to catch anything.

If you're replacing the filter, I think I'd just do a line exchange with the fluid. You'll have the line open anyway, so why not?

Thanks guys - you're the best! More good info here quickly rather than the misinformation from a Honda service and parts dept.

And thanks for the great link on parts - already bookmarked.

Kind Regards

Last edited:
I just did a quick drain and refill on the wife's CR-V yesterday. Honda has a new ATF fluid that replaces the Z1. It is called DW-1 now. A drain and refill usually takes about 3 qts maybe 3.2. The filter you are talking about is an inline filter. It's a pretty simple job. Good luck.

I did some research on this back around 2008 and IIRC, the CRV 5spd auto did not have an external filter, where other 4cyl Honda ATs still had the filter on them. Also, I looked up a current parts diagram of this trans and I don't see a filter?

14swa701_atm07.png

Joel

Good call chevys10!!

You have to look under "Radiator Hose - Reserve Tank" on any of the online parts look-up diagrams to even find the darn thing. I suspect this is why it's hit/miss Service depts even know it's there.

It's part # 16 here. Honda p/n 25430-PLR-003. Looks like Majestic Honda has them for $17.49. I might be inclined to use a generic Magnefine.

14swa701_b0510.png

Get the front wheels up in the air, look up behind the radiator and wwaalllaa. Approaching 90K on ours and may use a magnafine on the next change.

Originally Posted By: user52165
My SIL has an 08 CRV - 2.4 engine. Never had atf changed and is not car savvy or maintenance caring except for oil changes. So my Christmas present to her is an atf change in 3 -4 stages. I know the 07 Civic 1.8 has an external trans filter under the cowl since my daughter has one and I have changed it.

Call to Honda service reveals total ignorance of filter on 07 Civic (absolute "No" from them even though I cited the page in the FSM) and total perplexment about 08 CRV. Sorry no FSM to consult and car not here now.

So does 08 CRV 2.4 have an external filter?

Thanks in advance.

Sorry SIL, no Chanel this year, but I got you some Honda Type Z instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back