LubeGuard Red in 4L60E?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
cant really expect something to go without service for 150k (if its specced for PR before then), and then get worked on and have flying credentials. Youve got to expect some pretty bad conditions, and thus $$$ expenditure to get it right. Just the way it goes in the automotive world.

that said, its a pretty good trans, and at some time around 95, they started putting in '100k mile fluid' in some GM trucks. So he MAY have some saving grace from that...

I like castrol dexron III, available at autozone.

I have a car that has always had its service, and some places will refuse to change fluid because of the mileage (200k+). But some places are stocked with idiots too. I have read situations where transmissions were severely undermaintained (this one may be undermaintained from 50k-120k, depending on specified fluid service life), and had the fluid changed, got all sorts of problems, had it changed, with filter a few more times, and then it was OK.

I would advise against any sort of flush, or even any special additives. Make the services very gradual... first change fluid and filter, with just dexron. Repeat after a few hundred miles. repeat again after a thousand, then drain just the fluid in the pan after another thousand. drive 1000 more, then replace fluid and filter, add the LC, lubrigard, etc.
This of course assumes not real issues. If problems arise, then I would waste no time to find a good shop and get it repaired. poor maintenance has its costs.

JMH

My brother has a '95 Z-71. It has never had a transmission service in its 150k mile service life.

I want to drop the pan, clean it, replace the filter, and refill, then get it flushed ( I don't think there is a TQ drain plug).

Has anyone used Lube Guard Red in a 4L60E before?

I figure it will need (2) 10 oz. bottles.

I have heard conflicting stories about servicing a trans with 150k miles with no service history.

Some say service it. Some say leave it be because sludge may dislodge and clog a valve body.

If I drop the pan, and clean it, there would be no sludge left, right? Can sludge be lurking in the trans cooler or other places that may dislodge?

What Dexron AFT fluid is a good brand?

Your opinions and observations please.

Thank you.

Drop pan, clean pan, replace filter, replace gasket and refill with DexronIII/Mercon.

In my opinion, your brother is about 120 k miles overdue.

No need for extra additive in your transmission.

The fresh fluid will have all the additive needed.

I'd first clean the transmisison with Auto-Rx. I'd install an in-line transmission filter at the beginning of the Auto-Rx cleaning and a new one after the flush. Then pull the pan, renew the internal filter, refill the sump, do a complete flush. Any good brand of Dexron-III ATF will work fine. Just one bottle of Lubegard is used in a transmission that size, and probably isn't needed.

Ken

The first service on my 4l60e 99 blazer was at 130,000. The guy I bought it from never touched it. I was sceptical about dropping the pan but I did and changed the fluid and filter. I could not believe it all I had to do was wipe the pan a little bit and clean the magnet I was shocked. I also added a bottle of lube guard red. This was 12,000 miles ago. Then again some will say if it ain't broke don't fix it. It made it this far. It's your call...

Ask a professional transmission shop and they will probably recomend a fluid change and the lubegard.

Lubegard is a great product that can free sticky mechanisms and bring a neglected transmission back to life. That is why some manufacturers issue service bulletins recommending it by name.

LubeGuard would be better to add after it has been serviced. If you wan tot cleanit out prior tp serviceing 6 onces of Auto-RX will do the best job!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back