I want to find oil for TOYOTA Land-Cruiser 80

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to find oil for TOYOTA Land-Cruiser 80 with 1HD-FT engine. Winter temperature -35, and in the summer is +40. The machine is used on the road and off-road. On the market it is difficult to find a Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 or Mobil Delvac 5w-40, and the high price.
Can I use in the summer of 5w-40?
The choice is such a Mobil Super 3000 5W40 , ZIC 5w40, Shell HELIX HX 7 5W40.
Can look at the MB229.3 and 229.5,?

I take it that you are talking of Centigrade temperatures.
Any good 5W-40 will work OK in the summer.

I know that Mobil oil can handle California heat and we have some places where it really cooks here, especially in the southern part of the state, hotter than anywhere in Russia.
So at least the Mobil should do fine in your area in the summer. Other guys here need to talk about the other oils.

Originally Posted By: Rfractal
I want to find oil for TOYOTA Land-Cruiser 80 with 1HD-FT engine. Winter temperature -35, and in the summer is +40. The machine is used on the road and off-road. On the market it is difficult to find a Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 or Mobil Delvac 5w-40, and the high price.
Can I use in the summer of 5w-40?
The choice is such a Mobil Super 3000 5W40 , ZIC 5w40, Shell HELIX HX 7 5W40.
Can look at the MB229.3 and 229.5,?

With that temperature extreme, look for a 0w-40 oil. Shell Helix HX7 is great, so is Helix Ultra. Stick with a synthetic for these temps.

True, for a year round oil a 0W-40 sounds like the ticket to me if you can get it over there. But I don't know if you want that. If you take it off the road a lot, you might like to change the oil anyway if the engine is exposed to a lot of dust when things are dry.

I always think about dust, but that's because in Southern California on a dirt road in the summer you will always have plenty, but doesn't the Russian Far East get plenty of rain?

As for water, send us some!

Originally Posted By: Cristobal

Only the United States (and possessions) and some Caribbean nations still use the antiquated Fahrenheit temperature scale.

Originally Posted By: Kuato

Only the United States (and possessions) and some Caribbean nations still use the antiquated Fahrenheit temperature scale.

I know. In college my son has a buddy from Tashkent, and his friend is always asking why Yanks still use that crazy measurement system.

In Vladivostok you are close to Japan. I do not know if there are good trade relations or how expensive Japanese oils are there in the Russian Far East.

What is the story on that?

Rfractal, looks like you get your share of dust too.

Ibrahim is right about Mobil 1 0W-40. That is good stuff. I know it handles brutally cold temperatures. There is a friend of mine in Van Nuys, CA, which is in the San Fernando Valley section of Los Angeles. He has lived there almost 30 years. He has a 2000 Mercedes and that oil is all he has ever run in it. the San Fernando Valley will experience temperatures as high as 47 degrees Centigrade in summer. So that oil ought to work out OK in summer also unless for some reason your vehicle otherwise cannot accept it.

Last edited:
Japanese oil are genuine partners (Toyota, etc.), there are also Eneos and Idimetsu, but the oil made in Korea for Russia =(.
Forgot about the other measurement system. Winter temperatures to -33F, and in the summer to 104F.
I think to choose from oils:
M1 New Live 0w-40 or Shell Helix Ultra 0W-40 (5w-40)
Mobil Super3000 X1 5W-40 or Shell HX7(HX8) 5w-40
It all depends on the price. I hope they work out the summer and sulfur in diesel fuel.
Thanks!!!

As long as the oil is good for a diesel engine you are good to go.
If the Mobil series is so rated, that would be a good choice. Diesel requirements are a little different than those of gasoline engines. I forgot about that; that is one more thing you need to check.

Your weather temperatures are pretty close to what is seen in the State of Montana, it sounds like, or in Central Canada.

Yesterday, I am find oil http://www.petro-canada.ca and Chevron Delo® 400 Synthetic SAE 0W-30, 5W-40.

A 5w-40 would work year round in your climate. A 0w-40 might be somewhat preferable, but either is acceptable, particularly if one is much harder to find than the other.

Petro-Canada definitely makes some good winter lubes, but you have check the spec sheets and make sure the oil with your viscosity choice has the specifications you require.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Yesterday, I am find oil http://www.petro-canada.ca and Chevron Delo® 400 Synthetic SAE 0W-30, 5W-40.

A 5w-40 would work year round in your climate. A 0w-40 might be somewhat preferable, but either is acceptable, particularly if one is much harder to find than the other.

Petro-Canada definitely makes some good winter lubes, but you have check the spec sheets and make sure the oil with your viscosity choice has the specifications you require.

Thanks for the help.
I bought oil "Chevron Delo 400 Synthetic SAE 5W-40" in 1HD-FT diesel. And oil in the Camry 1AZ-FE "Chevron Supreme Synthetic Motor Oil SAE 5W-40". Thank you very much!!!!
For the future i can buy 5w-30 in the Camry 1AZ-FE

Last edited:
What buy? Oil for truck with API CF-4 or universal M1 shell

CF-4 is an outdated diesel spec, it's better to use an oil with CI-4+ or CJ-4 rating.

What does Toyota recommend as far as weights go?

I see you put Chevron 5w40 in it, good choice although it may be a bit thick at -33F.

The Russian Far East fascinates me. I would like to visit Kamcatcha, it looks so beautiful and wild in pictures. I wish our countries had easier visa requirements to visit. I once had a girlfriend who was a Russian from Ufa studying at the local university here in Austin, Texas. She came back to America for the following summer and it was a real big hassle getting her in the country. I had to call my Congressman's office to get assistance with the American consulate in Moscow. The next time we just both met up in Antalya, Turkey, no visa issues with that.

Come to think of it...I kind of miss her. Oh well
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Brons2
What buy? Oil for truck with API CF-4 or universal M1 shell

CF-4 is an outdated diesel spec, it's better to use an oil with CI-4+ or CJ-4 rating.

What does Toyota recommend as far as weights go?

I see you put Chevron 5w40 in it, good choice although it may be a bit thick at -33F.

The Russian Far East fascinates me. I would like to visit Kamcatcha, it looks so beautiful and wild in pictures. I wish our countries had easier visa requirements to visit. I once had a girlfriend who was a Russian from Ufa studying at the local university here in Austin, Texas. She came back to America for the following summer and it was a real big hassle getting her in the country. I had to call my Congressman's office to get assistance with the American consulate in Moscow. The next time we just both met up in Antalya, Turkey, no visa issues with that.

Come to think of it...I kind of miss her. Oh well
smile.gif

My car is right-hand drive, brought to Japan, the label on the engine 10w-30 and 5w-30 API CD. I think it is better to protect the 5w-40. In the very cold will warm at night.

To Kamchatka hours 3 flight from Vladivostok. On the far east a lot of wild and beautiful nature. Come to us, you will enjoy

I looked on the Web and right now it is -27.8 C in Yellowstone. It is -22 C in Vladivostok so your climate is like Yellowstone. Anything that works in the Northern Great Plains of North America will work fine there. There is a guy named CATERHAM on this board who is a very good source about what oil works best. A few hour's drive from Las Vegas is Ely, Nevada. It is -25.6 there right now. But Ely is in a desert and when it snows, you are lucky if you get very little on the ground. Maybe 10 centimeters at best.

I looked on the Web and right now it is -27.8 C in Yellowstone. It is -22 C in Vladivostok so your climate is like Yellowstone. Anything that works in the Northern Great Plains of North America will work fine there. There is a guy named CATERHAM on this board who is a very good source about what oil works best. A few hour's drive from Las Vegas is Ely, Nevada. It is -25.6 there right now. But Ely is in a desert and when it snows, you are lucky if you get very little on the ground. Maybe 10 centimeters at best.

The Problem is to make Russian special products (oil) is not of high quality. Mobil brought from China worse than Finland. I am struck by a change of climate, close to the desert. A 4 hour's drive from Vladivostok is settlement Vostok. Sometimes it is the temperature, and-50C, but warmer near the sea-24C-30C. Vostok

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back