really remove the upper intake???

Status
Not open for further replies.
so doing some research and talking over at the taurus forum the duratec is the popular choice. i started doing some research and you have to remove the intake manifold to replace the rear plugs? ok i am sorry who's genius idea was this? i mean really!!! is there another way or is that it?

many transverse and some longitude v6 engines are like this. It's a couple bolts and some dry rotted vacuum lines. should not be to much of a hassle.

If you want to be a mechanic, better get used to taking off intake manifolds. It's not an uncommon thing on many vehicles.

Uppers are easy since they are usually dry.

It may not be that bad. I have to lift the intake manifold to replace the spark plugs on my PT Cruiser (in-line 4 cylinder). Each runner has a silicon o-ring (no gasket). I've done it twice now. A bit of a nuisance, but do-able.

Try searching the Taurus forums, I'm sure they'll have some detailed posts. I got guidance on changing my spark plugs from PT Cruiser forums.

I bet its more like an hour to do it. It doesn't look to bad its just very stupid engineering. No reason they couldn't have made it where you didn't have to take the intake off.

You might be able to do it by removing the upper and lower wiper cowl on the right/passengers side and get them from there. I helped a buddy do his and that's how I did it. I don't remember the year of the car though, and he sold it a few years back. It might be something worth looking into though. Be prepared to replace the wires they're probably welded to the plugs. HTH

Originally Posted By: Rick in PA
It may not be that bad. I have to lift the intake manifold to replace the spark plugs on my PT Cruiser (in-line 4 cylinder). Each runner has a silicon o-ring (no gasket). I've done it twice now. A bit of a nuisance, but do-able.

+1 I replaced plugs on a PT Cruiser before and removing the intake was really not a big deal at all. It SOUNDS like it would be a huge PITA, but once you take it apart, you realize it's easy and no big deal.

It really isn't that bad of a job to pull the intake. Just get an inch-lbs torque wrench and follw the torque specs and sequence. Most time consuming thing for me when I did the wife's Escape was the EGR tube as it was/is cramped there.

I think I did upper and lower intake gaskets ans plugs on her Escape in a morning (3 hours). That included walking to the Ace hardware store to get the one metrc socket I needed.

I once owned a Cadillac CTS with the 2.8 V6. It had a vibration at idle that GM either could not or would not fix and one of the suggestions I had was to change the plugs. They would not do this under warranty because of the low mileage, but if I wanted to pay for it, they would be happy to try. The dealership quoted me $500.00 + parts because they had to remove the entire intake system to get to the plugs. It was at this point that I decided that I would never own another Cadillac and sold the car. Roger

Originally Posted By: chevyboy14
so doing some research and talking over at the taurus forum the duratec is the popular choice. i started doing some research and you have to remove the intake manifold to replace the rear plugs? ok i am sorry who's genius idea was this? i mean really!!! is there another way or is that it?

That's nothing. Try changing the drivers side bank on a hemi. And there are 16 plugs to do too. What a nightmare.
I got quoted 700 from dodge and they were going to supply cheap champion plugs. I got iridiums for less than the stockers however it was a total pain to do and I think I'll pay the atrocious labour cost to have someone else do them next time.

I understand your point, but consider [a] the compactness needed to get the (almost any) V6 under the hood of a FWD car and to most owners, they won't change the plugs in the life of the car while they have it, and it likely won't run any worse for the benign neglect.

I wouldn't make that item a go/no-go decision point on a good Taurus. You'll probably do it once in the time you have the car, too. Plugs going 100k is not a big deal anymore, and when changed out the difference is often imperceptable.

Originally Posted By: Roadkingnc
Really? Its a 5 minute job tops. Then the plugs are staring you in the face.

It's not a 5 minute job literally, but it isn't as bad as a Mitsubishi or Hyundai variant of the 6G72. (Chrysler version of same engine has Holley fuel management and a different intake)

I think it's easier than doing the back three on a 3.1 GM.

If you have GearWrenches, the EGR is much easier to deal with. Get a PCV valve before you take the upper intake off. It's a lot easier to do with the intake removed.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
Originally Posted By: Rick in PA

+1 I replaced plugs on a PT Cruiser before and removing the intake was really not a big deal at all. It SOUNDS like it would be a huge PITA, but once you take it apart, you realize it's easy and no big deal.

I don't have to remove the intake to do my PT's plugs.
That's gotta' be unique to the PT's with plastic manifolds.

Had to remove my upper intake mani to do the plugs on my VQ35's too. It's not a big deal. You do them pretty much once in the vehicle's life (plats) and you're golden after that.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
I think it's easier than doing the back three on a 3.1 GM.

You don't have to do anything special to access the rear bank on a 3.1.

Originally Posted By: RogerBacon
I once owned a Cadillac CTS with the 2.8 V6. It had a vibration at idle that GM either could not or would not fix and one of the suggestions I had was to change the plugs. They would not do this under warranty because of the low mileage, but if I wanted to pay for it, they would be happy to try. The dealership quoted me $500.00 + parts because they had to remove the entire intake system to get to the plugs. It was at this point that I decided that I would never own another Cadillac and sold the car. Roger

It is NOT a big job and you DO NOT have to remove the intake. I've done SEVERAL tune-ups on these cars and can do it in under an hour. The dealers quote this price because the service manual and labor guide says to remove it. All you do is LOOSEN the intake bolts, lift it up and you can get the coil off and plug out. This was for the 2.8 and 3.6 engines thru 2007. In 2008, the intake was reshaped so no intake removal needed.

It was a STUPID design...they made the intake just slightly cover over 3 of the plugs just enough that there is no room to pull the coil off to get the plug. Good thing its just the upper and no need to replace any gaskets but if you do they are just metal and o-ring style and easy.

I do my CTS tune-ups for $125...dealer locally here charges $450 and pockets lot of cash!

even my little honda you have to take the IM off and eTB and TB coolant TB and PCV warmer hoses to adjust valves. Silly - moronic even! - on an engine with jam nut valve lash adjustment.

Not sure this applies to a Taurus, but don't wish for a front cover leak or a bad alternator if you have 3.0 Duratec in an Escape: the front cover requires removal of the intake manifold, valve covers, engine accessories, and oil pan first ($ 1,700 at a Ford dealer) and a front halfshaft comes off to get at the alternator. Again, brilliant engineering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back